Employer Best Practices

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We use online indicator boards for our sales staff so that they can go about on their own while there aren't any customers.

In this way we can have many staff members with low cost and they only get paid when they help customers selling our service. Goal is to have staff members from all over the world to cover all time zones so that at any given time there is at least 1 help staff available.

Second Life is a global virtual environment with people from all over the world. Next thing that we'll create with online indicator boards is a virtual list  in 3D of all available designers (that are online) at time when someone comes to our place and needs some graphics design work instanlty. We also want to create a 3D inworld list of all translators... and so on. 

An example can be seen in our headquarters:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Alpha%20Centauri/156/44/27

One of the Best practices Sweethearts jazz does, Is During the hiring process and training we use voice communication. We start always with A Voice interview before hiring the resident. After the resident is hired, we follow up with voice training, and walk the host through their fist shift on voice.

Many reasons we do that

One reason is, to hopefully determine the residents real life age. Not that their age is important but the fact there are many kids who sneak in to SL and apply for jobs, Several cases we have had 10 year olds, 11 year olds, and 13 year olds apply for jobs. During these interviews you can tell when Mom and dad keep coming in yelling at them to get off the computer :)

Or the 11 year old male sounds like a female lol

The other, and most important reason is to clearly be able to communicate what you need done, and to establish a more personal connection with the employee. It gives both a chance to see where each other are coming from etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Get references for anyone you plan to hire, and make sure to actually contact those references! You want to be certain that the employee can actually deliver the skills they claim to have. Also provide structure, goals, and accountability - too often people can get complacent in a position if they are given too much freedom and they will put their wants above your business and the needs of the project.  Never be afraid to fire someone if they are doing a lousy job - there are always talented people looking for work and an employee who screws up your project is far worse than a period of time without someone in the position. Finally, when you *do* find a reliable, motivated, and trustworthy employee - do what it takes to keep them around!

A couple best practices I use are never to expect your employees to work harder than you and never ask them to do something you're not willing to do yourself. That doesn't mean employees shouldn't work hard though; remember to be responsible. And of course I can't DJ but I'd be willing to get my hands dirty if I could lol. Respect goes farther than L in sl :)

• 3 weeks later...

A good practice is to offer employees competitive wages.  And if you're hiring someone for RL skills (graphic design, coding, designing) pay them RL wages.

Employers should not use SL to sponge RL services from people while paying them SL wages.  For example: if you want a graphic designer, a good one, then expect to receive a bid based on $25+/hr (L$6000+/hr) because they are providing a Real Life service.

Employers can expect the overall quality of their business to reflect this practice.

Alt=:smileywink:

Innovate, don't just offer tips only if you are cash strapped, offer other benefits such as free accommodation and clothing if you are able to do so.

If you know tips are not great pay a basic wage as well.

I don't need anyone to voice to prove they are of age, an experienced business owner can tell and it is overkill.

Inspire loyalty - Don't limit staff to one role, if your host or dancer wants to try DJing let them hop on your stream and give it a try (My club has its own stream).

Finally, most clubs have too many staff, a zillion managers who I rarely see manage anything beyond multiple hoogasms.  Why not get your hands dirty and do some of the work yourself.  I host and DJ.

And I don't know why this replied to you Ackley, as I never asked it to, only the OP.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.