i took a bad item on my avatar , since i did , my computer allways rebooting when sl start:-( i cry

alittlesquirel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

hi

top of this page there are 4 tabs, click on the Knowledge base tabs, to open it.

type into the search box,  How to uninstall and reinstall secondlife.

you will see a drop down menu as you type and the words will appear there just click on the words, its a link for the page.

read how to clean install the game and follow what lindens say.

once you done that, it default the viewer, so you will have to reset your setting if you have change them.

good luck

enjoy Sl byee

Try this:

Open your viewer but don't log in.

On the Me menu go to Preferences and then Graphics.

On the right you will see a slider called Max particle count (if you don't see it click on the Advanced button near the bottom)

Set the Max particle count to 0 and then click OK.

Now try logging in.

• Like 3

This is poor advice, as items that have been attached to an avatar will not detach simply by uninstalling.

It's also highly unlikely that this would be caused by an installation problem - it's more likely hardware based.

Also, learn how to use hyperlinks. Like this = http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

I think you might be wearing a "graphics crasher". It is overloading your graphics card and dumping you out of SL. Try setting your computer monitor to a very low brightness level. Log in and use Detach All to take off all your attachments. Re-set your monitor brightness and put everything except the bad item back on.

• Like 3

Hi Little,

I don't recommend following Jeffrey's advice until you've tried the much more likely solutions recommended by Lindal and Ohjiro. As you've identifed in your question, your problem is apparently the result of wearing an attachment. The wearing of things is a SL server function, and you must tell the servers not to attach the offending item. Reinstalling the viewer will not make that happen and you risk losing chat history and viewer settings if you do reinstall.

So, do as Ohjiro recommends after launching the viewer, but before logging in, then do as Lindal recommends and try to remove everything you're wearing and carefully get dressed again.

Good luck!

• Like 2

This service is for helping people, and it is open to all.
You are in need of help - you are clearly misinformed about how Second Life functions - as above, uninstalling Second Life will not remove problematic attachments that have been outlined in other helpers responses.

My only intention is to help improve the accuracy of your advice. :)

I highly recommend reading the Community Guidelines, as these spell out the correct behaviour for participation. You will find that offering constructive criticism is not against these Guidelines. It would be unfortunate if your reports were listened to, as the only result would be fewer genuine helpers on this service. If that's the route LL wish to go, then so be it - I'm a volunteer here, and I have plenty of other things to be doing.

I participate here because my eight years in Second Life - of which I boast the statistic of an average participation rate of 5 hours per day in-world - gives me significant experience. I've found that I can pass this experience on to new users, and work with helpers here to investigate unfamiliar cases. My experience has been shown to have value here - in my short time using the Answers platform I've received nearly 500 Kudos, and nearly 100 different people have returned to the Answers system to accept my answers as Accepted Solutions. I have posted to this forum on 800 consecutive days, spending over 2,500 hours of my own time monitoring the Answers forum and conducting research - reading on average 1 post every 1.05 minutes for an average of 3 hours per day. I am sorry you are finding difficulty in appreciating my value, but I will keep trying to help others.

If you are truly interested in helping people, Jeffrey, I am not your enemy - none of the Helpers here are.

I have been heartened to see other helpers in this forum help me, when I have been attacked by you in the past. It is a shame that they have too been attacked - and threatened of suffering further attacks - by you. You truly endanger the entire Answers system each time you react in this unjustified way.

I hope someone with more authority than myself can inform you of how to properly use the Answers system in a way that doesn't waste helpers and moderators time.

Best of luck.

• Like 3

Thanks too, Pamela. I don't know what the solution is, but I am very open to trying new things.

My primary hope is that negative influences don't result in a loss of help being offered through the Answers system. There's no reason for volunteers here to continue to tolerate threats and bullying in this way. It seems unfair to expect other helpers to deal with situations like this (as we've been attempting). We're lovers, not fighters - and our time is definitely best spent elsewhere. :)

Jeffrey,

Taking another tack on your philosophy... May I ask where you are from?

It is clear that you have never been taught how to work in and with a team. Teamwork allows for the whole team and forum [in this case SL Answers Forum and the Volunteer Staff] to grow in wisdom. This allows the advise given in this forum to generally be consistent and meaningful solutions to the OP's problems. Team members welcome critiques. They are not considered by any of us as harassment or attacks in any way whatsoever.

Critiques of your answers by other team members are letting you know when you have replied with an inaccurate statement. Instead of reading and learning you choose to report these more experienced members critiques of your answers as if these were attacks on you personally! Critiques are the mirror of the Kudos we give you when you nail the answer on the first time. Learn to accept critiques Jeffery. Not only will this make you and your efforts more valuable here in Second Life, but this growth will carry over positively into your real life as well.

• Like 1

so you have reported me so many times and im still here, so it follow that you are just troll that have been attacking me from day one which has been reported from day one.
and im still here, so lindens see it my way, and im welcome to use this forum.
yes you can troll people here and that is not right, and again i say lindens need to change the rules, and stop you bullies.
enjoy your hate crime, and please do not keep involving the people that come here for help.
have a nice day and remember you are all muted

Jeffrey,

OK, I have to ask. Are you joking? Are you pulling everyone's legs? Why do I ask this, Your last response is why. [Grammar Corrections are mine]

[...so you have reported me so many times and I'm still here, so it follow that you are just troll that have been attacking me from day one which has been reported from day one and I'm still here, so Lindens see it my way, and I'm welcome to use this forum. Yes, you can troll people here and that is not right, and again i say lindens need to change the rules, and stop you bullies. Enjoy your hate crime, and please do not keep involving the people that come here for help. Eave a nice day and remember you are all muted.]

I'm left with this thought: "Clearly you don't understand English, English grammar and/or the art of conversation". You continue to mention being attacked. You have never been attacked. An attack is a personal violation of you. What you are experiencing is a concerted effort by Senior Helper Staff to make sure that your answers do no harm! The SL Forums allows the unfettered discussion and analysis of ideas!. This includes calling a foul a foul.

You have adopted being a victim as your resume. [ You think constructive criticism is a Hate Crime. You think those who take the time to comment regarding your "inaccurate" posts are bullies. You mistakenly believe that the US Constitution protects your inaccurate responses from commentary. (this was taken from a reference you made to US laws in a previous post.) ] You tried to equate your answers to the US 1st Amendment and any commentary about them to a Communist Suppression ideology. You are way off base. This is an Answers Forum. With a collective body of answers and discussions that we have built up on. over the years. Those of us here do not take this lightly.

We have all tried to get you comfortable with the way the SL Answers Forum works by rewarding you with a Kudos for spot-on reply's to an OP's question. The flip side of that is to comment to you privately when you are off base and now as Permalink comments since you have muted so many people.

So now that you have muted all of the senior Helpers, why do you think this matters? Because what you have done is created a perfect environment for your ignorance. Imagine how the OPs see YOU. An OP posts a question. The experienced staffers will respond as they always have with thoughtful solutions and constructive methods to help diagnose the problems that OPs encounter.

Now comes along a "Jeffrey" response. Now I say this purely in the context of a OP in the forum POV. Sometimes you get it right! But more often, out of the blue you provide a recommendation and many times this is a non-sequitor response. Here is the definition of what this is:

"The term non sequitur refers to a conclusion that is not aligned with previous premises or evidence. A statement that is labeled as non sequitur is one that is not logical. This is considered a fallacy"

This is the light that OPs and the other Forum Helpers see you in. Remember this reality: When you do one of your classic "off the rail" responses, here is what happens:

1) The OP's scratch their heads.
2) The experienced Helpers will assess if your advise is dangerous to and/or wasteful to an OPs PC or time.
3) If it is, then the Experienced staff then has to waste their time in their replies to warn OPs of inaccurate responses to make sure the OPs don't harm their SL installations and/or waste time.

How do I know this? Because OPs have emailed me and told me as much.

Jeffrey, I want you to be a success here in the SL Answers Forum. But that can't happen unless you learn to work with others. I'd love to give you more Kudos for spot-on answers to OPs questions. But that too can't happen until you actually provide more meaningful answers.

Please remember, You have created this environment and your own world-view that you are being attacked.. How? Because you have chosen to close your mind to learning from other more experienced Helpers. After you give the incorrect advise over and over again, and only if it is particularly harmful or useless, you may actually get someone here that will RIC your particular post. This means Report Inappropriate Content. This is the only time that a Moderator [A Linden Lab Staffer] will ever look at your responses.

No Linden Employees even know you exist except through the forum RIC mechanism.

So I ask you again again, when are you planning on joining the Team? Your current answers methodology says "Troll" all over it. You'll find all of us here waiting for you to come on board.

Yours,

KML

• Like 1

Your hate-filled over-reactions continue to be bizarre and unwarranted.
I found KarenMichelle Lane's response to you incredibly well thought-out and extremely patient. To dismiss her as a 'troll' is to make a significant error - one that can't possibly help you become a better helper on this service.

It's a shame you couldn't respond as thoughtfully.

Jeffrey, you're quite right that everything here is recorded, for all to see. Ultimately, that may become a problem for you.

KarenMichelle's response to you was both heartfelt and appropriate. We do operate as a team here, and we welcome new members. We all get joy from helping people, including each other. And all of us enjoy learning. Outside of making mistakes on my own, my friends here in Answers have been the best resource for SL knowledge I have.

We'd be happy to have you with us, but your attitude makes that difficult. Although we generally dislike the RIC button, as you elevate the tension here, it will become more attractive. Eventually this will be resolved. Nobody is in a better position than you to determine what that resolution will be.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.