Where to buy land? How much it cost?

KarisalynnXOXO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Unfortunately, land is (compared to almost everything else in SL) very expensive. Here's the table of monthly land fees...

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

Note that you don't really buy land in SL, you might pay a one time fee to reserve a lot of land for your use, but you'll also have to pay a rental fee, either to Linden Lab or to a landlord, as someone has to pay for the computer servers on which all LL things are stored, and that someone is us.

This is why I recommend the nomad lifestyle for new residents, until they determine what SL is worth to them. I wandered SL for quite some time after joining. I found a quiet sim that had a canal with a barge in it, and I changed my clothing under that barge until I learned that I didn't have to strip naked to do that. I eventually moved up to a house that I shared with my SL partner, and then to a private little island in the Maldives. 

It is nice to have a place to call home, so I understand your excitement over this. There are landlords that rent small spaces (I've seen prim allowances as small as 25 prims) for very little money.  I once rented an apartment for L$50/week. And you can probably make a cozy little nest with a few well done mesh items using very few prims. I currently rent a lighthouse for L$2380 (about US$10) a month. I'm using only 200 of my 230 allowed prims, and that includes a furnished skybox I built and located 4000 meters above the lighthouse. You can do a lot with a little.

• Like 1

Buying land is not necessarily too expensive, provided that you are not buying much of it. (I do not recommend trying to buy a full region for $1,000, for example.) The monthly land fees add up quickly, however.   A 512 sq m parcel will cost you $5/ month in fees, $60 over the course of a year.  And you won't be able to fit a "mansion" on it either.  Your $L200 (about 80 cents) isn't going to go very far.

Land prices depend on the size of the land and the location. A piece of land on an attractive spot (unblocked waterview, for example) might cost more than land of the same size surrounded by other parcels on all 4 sides.

If you are premium member, you can get land directly from Linden Lab and you can rent mainland parcels.

If you are not, you only can rent from privatly owned land.

Whatever you chose, you will have to pay rent on a regular basis. So your 200L might give you a week of renting, but you would need more, to continue renting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.