Place to warn people

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At least on the offical forums you can not do this, because its against the forum rules to name and shame.

Personally, if such a place would exist, I believe it would have a very questionable use. Many people who would post their "horror stories" would present only one side of the story. For example: "I got banned from that rude manager at place X for no reason!" While the whole story would include previous misbehavior of him and failing to obey to the dresscode even after a warning. And other people would simply made up stories to ruin someone else business.

I don't buy this often repeated meme that the nice innocent merchant class needs to be shielded from the dirty filthy peasant consumer class.

A "Yelp" for second life could be a very good thing. Sure there would be some false reporting - just as with real life review and consumer reporting venues.

But on balance a picture could form.

I'd structure it like this:

1 to leave a review you need to name both your avatar and an avatar who's service you are reviewing. The system could use a scripted object to make sure it could find your avatar and try to find the other - but would allow reviews when it could not (if you mispell - that just makes your review kind of useless for someone looking to find about a business owned by "pussycat catnap" when you instead reviewed "Pussycat Catnip"'s business...

The review could also require a SLURL - another redflag if your slurl comes up weird - that can be interpreted either way context depending by the reader...

BUT the SLURL also works to make a good review valuable.

And put a 30-day old policy on leaving reviews, and 60-day old on getting them.

- 30-day old makes it a little less alt-spam prone. 60-day because a lot of bad reviews that would be 'legit' are because new people are fumbling around and you kinda need to give people a grace period to get past being dumb...

Have all reviews expire after 6 months - no exceptions.

No ability to review anyone in your friend or partner list - but this might not be possible because there's no ability for a scripted object to determine who your friends are, and its a good thing no such ability exists...

No ability to leave more than 1 review of 1 person. Allow editing one that has been made, but that would not reset the 6-month timer. A wait of 60-days after your review expired to write another - and if 80% of the text in the new one matches the old, it refuses to post (this can be done with a lot of modern diff software, not as complex as it sounds).

I would also suggest any such review site require a MINIMUM of 1000 characters / 200 words per review... But a maximum of 3 times that. To prevent the 'u suxs' reviews that don't help anyone reading them...

Finally I'd put a language filter on it - your review won't post if it has any known swear words... as a sort of attempt to stop 'angry drunken rant' posting.

... On that note... separate preview from post. You can preview your review, but have to then wait 24 hours to post it. :)

And no star-ratings... just long blocks of text to read.

If you're not smart enough to be able to read something and form an opinion, you shouldn't be using a review system anyway.

A user of such a site should then be able to look up people and read reviews of them, and reviews they have left of others.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Opheliac

There is no such thing as bad publicity, but a truly horrible place to visit soon ends up with no visitors.  Its kind that you want to look out for other people and warn them, but my advice to you would be to spend your spare time/SL time enjoying yourself instead.

Its a virtual world, with lots of places to go to and people to meet. Why waste one moment longer than you have to on negative experiences?

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I don't buy this often repeated meme that the nice innocent merchant class needs to be shielded from the dirty filthy peasant consumer class.

A "Yelp" for second life could be a very good thing. Sure there would be some false reporting - just as with real life review and consumer reporting venues.

She is not proposing a Yelp. She wants a place to "warn" people - IOW, a place full of only negative reviews. Not interested in rewarding those who do well, just wants to punish those who (she thinks) are not doing well.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Then why don't you start it?

But on the other hand the OP (with only one post to their name) said nothing about Merchants.

They said, "Bad experiences in certain places."

You really jumped off of topic there.

Marketplace reviews are gamed all the time and nothing you suggest would keep someone from doing the same and giving a false review for their own ulterior motive, or from someone creating an alt and just waiting 30 days to give themselves a wonderful review or having friends or paid people do it.  Nor does it even have a way to verify that you actually purchased the product or service.  At least MP does that.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Marketplace reviews are gamed all the time and nothing you suggest would keep someone from doing the same and giving a false review for their own ulterior motive, or from someone creating an alt and just waiting 30 days to give themselves a wonderful review or having friends or paid people do it.  Nor does it even have a way to verify that you actually purchased the product or service.  At least MP does that.

Yes think of all the opportunities to practice extortion or smear a competitor.  What a good idea, well thought out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.