soo its perfectly acceptable to steal other peoples creations and sell them ??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just because it happens, it doesn't mean it's acceptable; it only means it's doable, and that the protections put in place to prevent it aren't necessarily instantaneous or 100% effective.

Anyway, what you describe may be a legitimate case of different vendors using common, publicly available templates for creations; I often find many clothes, for example, using the exact same mesh, and frequently with only minor differences in texturing -sometimes so small that they may be edging the limits of the original mesh creator's redistribution clauses.

Anyway, if you still smell a rat, feel free to contact whoever you think was the original creator and tell him about it; he or she will know what to do, if anything.

• Like 1

As Ren Toxx says, some may be using the same mesh templates - I hadn't realised people sold the base mesh untextured in SL for commercial use till recently - an easy way to 'make' and sell clothing I guess. 

SL is no different to RL - in RL people copy illegally and some are not caught out,  and people are in SL..so it's gonna happen there...

I found this website recently - Slocca.org - an association promoting original content in SL, and they have a list vendors who are guaranteed 100% original in their creations. You could browse their shop directory and use the ones listed there to be sure you are not buying copies.  

• Like 1

No it is not acceptable if it was really stolen.  The holder of the copyright can file a DMCA and have the stolen content removed. They can even sue the their in a RL court of law. 

However not all are stolen.

There are people that sell full perm items, templates or kits that you can buy, put together and texture yourself and then sell at whatever price you can get for it, unless the original creator requires a minimum price.  They can't dictate a particular set price as that is price fixing and illegal. 

Generally these full perm items are not finished products and are much more expensive than an item with set permissions.  They usually take work from several hours or days or even weeks to create a finished product, depending on how complicated the finished product is.

Most require that you use it as only a part of a complete build or require that you at least texture the item yourself.  Rarely are you allowed to sell them as they are and you are not allowed to give them away or sell them full perm.  Some forbid you giving them away for free.  Most of them come with a written and very specific license outlining what you can or can not do that goes far beyond the simple permission system.

Prices legitimately vary due to quality.  Some people have more talent than others in creating a quality finished product with an original quality texture, even adding their own originally created parts to it,  while others don't do anything more than color the item, or just slap an existing texture on it.  The latter don't bring much per sale and indeed a lot of them never sell.  There are a number of big name creators that use full perm items in their own creations.

• Like 1

Evangeline Arcadia wrote:

I found this website recently - Slocca.org - an association promoting original content in SL, and they have a list vendors who are guaranteed 100% original in their creations. You could browse their shop directory and use the ones listed there to be sure you are not buying copies.  

An unwarrantied self proclaiming site that cannot verify the claim.  I sent my application in, I make my own, they didn't respond or anything.  As such I consider them self serving and without value. (just thought I'd get that in :matte-motes-evil-invert: )

Sassy Romano wrote:

An unwarrantied self proclaiming site that cannot verify the claim.  I sent my application in, I make my own, they didn't respond or anything.  As such I consider them self serving and without value. (just thought I'd get that in :matte-motes-evil-invert: )

A possibly nice idea but as they say, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I suppose one would have to look over the fact that some of those merchants use templates...that makes them not 100% original. Not that I have anything against templates, I use them myself actually. I have a deep respect for folks who make them. But any site/group that makes claims like this one does should be taken with a grain of salt, if anything. They have absolutely no way to verify the content is original. A great idea in theory...but in practice, it's impossible to accomplish in sl.

Buyer beware, always is the best policy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.