Why does my white dress have gray parts?

Umaeril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, just wondering why my white dress that I bought has a gray skirt? I have noticed this for 2 outfits. Is this my computer graphics card and/or my bandwidth or sucky computer? I have a HP Windows 7 64 bit AMD  3 GHz with 3GB of RAM and the sucky graphics card is a RADAEON 3000. Also I am on a wireless connection and I run Firestorm. But it is the same in Singularity and SL viewrs. Thanks if you can help.

Also I have gone through my graphics preferences to try to optimize things. I had set the Performance to low but it looks terrible (in Firestorm) so it is the next one up.  

My guess is that you've bought an OLD style dress comprising system texture and a prim part.

At one time the avatar base was grey which had the effect of toning down textures so to match, prim parts had to have a bit of grey added.

Then LL changed it and made the avatar base white which then left prim parts with a grey shade.  If the part is modify, check to see if there's a grey shade in the colour picker, if there is, make it white.

Other than that, dunno!

- Make sure your viewer is using the optimal bandwidth for your connection, especially considering you're on wireless... I'd say 1000 kbps. Not much more, since that'd cause other issues, but certainly not the 500 kbps. many viewers still set by default for God knows what reasons.

- Firestorm has a contextual menu option to reload textures; right-click on the stubborn dress (you'll know you have correctly aimed your click when the dress gets highlighted in yellow) and choose that reload / refresh option.

- Take off your dress and on again. Preferrably at a no-lag sim such as Coelho.

- Use Firestorm's temporary derender function, located in the same contextual menu, to hide your dress from what you see. Wait for about a minute, then change your active group to anyother to reverse the temporary derendering and thus make the dress visible again (yes, it's weird that changing active group is how you re-render something, but it does work).

- Clean your viewer's cache. This should be a last option, because it can take quite a while to complete all the steps correctly, and it'll mean your viewer will also have to reload pretty much everything else from scratch... an unsavory prospect for a bandwidth / hardware limited situation.

Umaeril wrote:

Hi, just wondering why my white dress that I bought has a gray skirt? I have noticed this for 2 outfits. Is this my computer graphics card and/or my bandwidth or sucky computer? I have a HP Windows 7 64 bit AMD  3 GHz with 3GB of RAM and the sucky graphics card is a RADAEON 3000. Also I am on a wireless connection and I run Firestorm. But it is the same in Singularity and SL viewrs. Thanks if you can help.

Also I have gone through my graphics preferences to try to optimize things. I had set the Performance to low but it looks terrible (in Firestorm) so it is the next one up.  

1. your graphics card is very very out of date and weak for SL.

2. I always thought RAM was supposed to be installed in even numbers...

3. you bandwidth should not be set higher than 500 for wireless, this comes straight from the Firestorm troubleshooting page.

Amethyst and Sassy are both right. It's hard to colourmatch system and flexi parts, and trying to be pretty on outdated hardware is even harder. I hate to say it but you should semi-retire your od lappy and use it as home server, Linux testmachine and office worker. Further, if your router is anywhere reasonably close to your desk try to plug in, instead of doing that wireless kindergarten internet.

The other posters missed by a hairwidth. It's not necessary to redress, rerez or doing anything with your avie. Clearing cache is as useful as a hole in the stomach, as it only helps with corrupted textures. Uneven RAM isn't that common anymore since the prices went down quite abit since this particular machine was built, but it's nothing bad. My ASUS from 2008 also had 3 MB RAM. I guess 1 MB of those was dedicated as GPU memory..

Thank you all for the tips. I suspected it might be my system I am using. I will try some of the other suggestions and see if they help me to see it better. As I move around in SL it seems to me that there are other things which are gray so ultimately I think I am due for a new computer. But I will see if the other tips works first of course. I am uncertain about upping my bandwidth to 1k so I will do 750. ^_^

Thank you all for your helpful posts! 

Orca Flotta wrote:

Amethyst and Sassy are both right. It's hard to colourmatch system and flexi parts, and trying to be pretty on outdated hardware is even harder. I hate to say it but you should semi-retire your od lappy and use it as home server, Linux testmachine and office worker. Further, if your router is anywhere reasonably close to your desk try to plug in, instead of doing that wireless kindergarten internet.

The other posters missed by a hairwidth. It's not necessary to redress, rerez or doing anything with your avie. Clearing cache is as useful as a hole in the stomach, as it only helps with corrupted textures. Uneven RAM isn't that common anymore since the prices went down quite abit since this particular machine was built, but it's nothing bad. My ASUS from 2008 also had 3 MB RAM. I guess 1 MB of those was dedicated as GPU memory..

It's also possible that the OP's motherboard supports triple-channel memory (as does mine... link)... in which case, 3GBs would make perfect sense.  Although, it would make more sense to shell out the little amount of money that it would require to increase it to 6 or 9 or 12, in order to take advantage of thier 64bit OS.  Of course, I'd only suggest they do that after getting themselves a better graphics card and, if necessary, a power supply which can handle it.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.