Banning more than 300/500 in parcel/estate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I am curious if there are any useful ban tools that can handle lists of more than 300-500 (the current in world parcel and estate limits) that don't make more lag than the griefers they are trying to prevent?  Anybody have a good tool for it?  I have looked around but most have max 100 which is not helpful.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

It's likely that any product capable of handling such a high number of UUIDs would require out-of-world storage (e.g. SQL database - the method that I use). You could narrow down your search on this basis, looking for ones that allow web-based configuration and control, as well as storage.

Another approach would be a more programmatic style of enacting bans - is it really helpful to have such a long banlist? You could pre-emptively ban based on name-pattern-matching or.. account age testing. Or something?

I don't sell security devices and I'm not aware of anyone who sells this functionality. But it's easy enough to do, so someone could.

Freya,  thanks, I had considered scripting something myself but I was thinking *somebody* must have addressed this already (crosses fingers).  My sim gets very high traffic - like 50 thousand or more unique avatars a year.  Crazy I know, but makes it very difficult to police sometimes.  It is always worst at the beginning of summer as all the lil @$$h@ts have free time on their hands lol.  If I don't find any viable products I will have to have something made I guess.  

I would assume that by now that someone has developed something like this commercially. They definitely exist privately, but considering the risks of operating a secure and survivable website that might be targeted in order to interrupt operation... it's possible that they keep a low profile.

The correct forum for this query would be the Wanted forum, you may get more luck there.

the cost of a web server and the price they will change you a month for said service  is a lot more then hiring 6 people.I have deal with keeping a sim secure and idiot free for years.

I have done it all from building my own data base web driven system to using a pre made with a monthly fee (they no longer are around sl,the one I used that is.) and found 6 people I paid a L$ a hour and used a region wide time clock that informs  me if they leave the sim or do their job. (you have to monitor every one it seems.)

Also a lot has to do in how you handle it, freak out and blow up and you just added gas to the fire.

Keep your cool and a 24/7 staff that you make part of your community and share in the fame of your sim (50k real traffic is good amount of fame to share.)  you will find many will police the sim off the clock and always be around in a time of need.Community and word of mouth go far in this digi world we play in.

You be a lot better off then set and forget systems most noobs can evade.

TammyTgurl Umaga wrote:

the cost of a web server and the price they will change you a month for said service  is a lot more then hiring 6 people.

Of course, this is why it's been suggested that they use a commercial system vs. a BuildYourOwn. This way the set-up/maintenance costs for the external server are assumed by the service provider and divided amongst the customers. ;)

Agreed though that programmatic or human-observed determination is better than static lists.

Thanks for the reply Tammy,  we do have a great staff in my sim.  Every year around mid June it just gets a bit nuts as people come into summer.  It's an adult sim that is also in the destination guide.  My own fault for putting it in the destination guide I am sure but oh well, thems the breaks of advertising.   We don't ban that easily but over time a limit of 300 avis at our level of traffic gets tight.  I end up doing an annual amnesty, which isn't optimal.  It would be nice to be able to go further, but SL just isnt set up for it.

Perhaps in SL 3.0 that LL is working on they will come up with better tools.... :-D  someday my ban tool will come hahah.

Have you considered banning people not for ever but, by default, for a month?   Don't tell them it's only for a month,  of course.  

I suspect most of the people you ban -- particularly over the holidays -- will have lost interest in SL long before the month is up, and any who return later and cause problems again, you simply ban again.   

Obviously some people need perma-banning, but I suspect you'll find month-long bans are just as effective in most cases and don't fill up the ban list so quickly.

Innula,

I do amnesties as necessary but it would be nice to not have to do so much administration on the "incorrigibles" who do keep coming back vs the one day old bored griefers.  I am thinking I will just have to make my own system, but I am MEH about starting it, I have better things to do with my time.  Can you set an automatically unban after X days?  Have I missed this feature?

• 2 weeks later...

The Triple security system is the only one that I know that will ban more than 500 avatars.  I know of one sim that is doing 70K n traffic daily that has 2000 bans on the system right now.  All scripted security systems will cause lag.  I was one of the first adult sims in SL in 2009 to 2010 with the new adult verifcation rules. My traffic was in 24k range, but it was based on real traffic.    I had only 20 estate bans for an entire year. 

I managed an adult sim last year, but I noticed lot of underaged players coming into the adult sim.  So, I created an alt and checked out the adult verifcation process. LL has removed the adult verification, so now new members are only need to select their date of birth.  This is the primary reason that sim owners are now forced to babysit their sims.   LL hasn't provided the sim owners any tools to combat all the underaged players that are now griefing the adult sims. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.