Maturity Viewing Driven by Viewer

Ilyra Chardin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like everyone on SL, I have my account information accessible from and stored on the LL Second Life website. Here we have transactions, friend lists, groups, etc...everything EXCEPT the maturity ratings for content that we want to see in world and on MP.

Why is that an issue?

Because the connection between the viewer and SL Market Place sometimes gets broken, limiting the content that you are allowed to view (even in your own store) to general content only.  This issue is further exacerbated by LL's inconsistent enforcement of the maturity rating system, which forces you to list "Disney-like" items as mature or even adult (if you happen to make FW Dresses for role players.)

There is absolutely no way (even when logged in to MP) to change your viewing preferences - it's all driven from the viewer.

Linden Labs lists supports / allows / approves third party viewers.  They have even gone so far as to restrict their creativity in developing new features and functions, citing the need for "consistent end user experience" as the rationale.  But this limitation appears to be in one direction only.

The simple fix would be to store viewing preferences with your account information on SL.com.  Alternatively, LL could enable viewing preference choices to be selected at the time of MP browsing provided that an end user is logged in (stopping them from being overridden by choices made in a viewer.)  Thus LL would enable the "consistent end-user experience" that they touted as a key mission for themselves and for the third party viewers.

For now, this remains just another silly pain point.

That's my two cents (L$5)

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

Because the connection between the viewer and SL Market Place sometimes gets broken, limiting the content that you are allowed to view (even in your own store) to general content only.  This issue is further exacerbated by LL's inconsistent enforcement of the maturity rating system, which forces you to list "Disney-like" items as mature or even adult (if you happen to make FW Dresses for role players.)

Contrary to your impression, Maturity is stored in your account online. It's retrieved by your viewer after you log in, and ditto Marketplace.

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

There is absolutely no way (even when logged in to MP) to change your viewing preferences - it's all driven from the viewer.

MarketplaceMaturity.jpg

This is how Marketplace looks post-login. Maturity levels can be changed here, up to the maximum enabled in your account. As above, the viewer does not control this maximum, your account records do.

You're correct that you can't manually 'set' Maturity anymore - it's assigned at Account Registration. Mistakes during registration can only be rectified via Support Cases.

You're incorrect that the viewer is to blame or that this information is not shared between all elements of secondlife.com.

Hope that helps.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Contrary to your impression, Maturity is stored in your account online. It's retrieved by your viewer after you log in, and ditto Marketplace.

The last time that this occurred, I opened a support ticket (same as I just had to when this occurred again after the MP unscheduled maintenance.  In the support ticket response, LL indicated that it was coming from the viewer.

Lastly, I have tried repeatedly to reset to GMA on MP and it is not working even after browser cache is repeatedly cleared. 

I have followed all of the prior steps which included setting my preferences to general then back to GMA and clearing all browser cache to no avail.

Thank you for your response, but the information that you provided is inconsistent with both my experience and with the written information provided by LL in the prior support ticket.

An excerpt of LL's response from the prior support history:

Hello Ilyra,

Thank you for contacting MarketPlace Support.

I'm sorry that you have had a problem accessing adult content in the MarketPlace.

First thing would be to double check the settings in the viewer. Make sure that they read GMA in your preferences. If they already show GMA. Change to just G. Relog and change the setting again back to GMA. That should reset anything that went sideways on us.

Next, clear the browser history.

Let's see if my post works this time...

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

Thank you for your response, but the information that you provided is inconsistent with both my experience and with the written information provided by LL in the prior support ticket.

The viewer is - as far as the user (you) are concerned - an authoritive source of your maximum Maturity. This is why Support suggested you check its contents. It's not the origin, it's a read-out.

Maturity is not stored within the viewer, this wouldn't work. You can test this yourself - try and set Maturity in the viewer (using Preferences) before you login. Prior to logging into the viewer, your viewer does not have your maximum Maturity Rating - it retrieves this information from your account after you login.

It might be more helpful to discuss your problem than trying to determine how LL run their systems. You're having trouble setting Maturity to G,M,A in Marketplace, even though your viewer can access G,M,A post-login?

You should post information about the web browser that you use to browse Marketplace. Do you enable:-

• AJAX
  • Cookies
  • Javascript
  • Sessions

Something was broken this morning with the maturity ratings on the MP. I logged on as usual, my settings are always GMA.  It had reset them to G. In fact, a couple of my listings had for some unknown reason gone to A and I couldn't view my own listings.  After a number of tries to reset the maturity, it finally "stuck" again on GMA.

What you can or may access is determined by your age based on the birthdate you registered with.

If under 18 you can only view General Content. That is enforced by the Server.  Someone under 18 can not view mature or adult content.

If you are over 18 you can or may access all content, General, Moderate or Adult.  The default setting is General.  But it is your choice what level you choose to view:  You overide the default. If somehow the setting gets messed up on the Server the choice reverts back to the default.  But you are not restricted from changing it back.

I had that happen to me yesterday, logged in to Market Place and found I had been reset to General.  Quick click and changed it back to Adult level.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Something was broken this morning with the maturity ratings on the MP. I logged on as usual, my settings are always GMA.  It had reset them to G. In fact, a couple of my listings had for some unknown reason gone to A and I couldn't view my own listings.  After a number of tries to reset the maturity, it finally "stuck" again on GMA.

How did you get it to work?  I've been trying since the MP unscheduled maintenance to get this fixed, following all the advice from the last time that this occurred.  The steps included: setting prefs to G on the viewer, logging out, relogging, setting to GMA, clearing browser history, etc.  And nothing is working. 

I tried the above advice as well.  I am not in-world at all. I am logged on to SL.Com.. i went to MP, reset from General to GMA (even hit refresh after that and GMA stayed.  I clicked "view my store" and in the search box prefs it is reset to General again. 

Nothing is working.  Also to answer the other questions...I’ve have cleared browser cache (as recommended) so no cookies stored.  I also have my browser set to remove cookies once I shut it down anyway.

I've looked all over my account pages and cannot find where you can also specify GMA there?  As far as I've been able to find out (and per LL's response to my support ticket,) the only place that this is captured is on the viewer prefs.

It’s not working for me, Pierre.  I'm an adult and have adult verified.  This was working fine (since the last incident with it - which was the first time it was broken) until the unscheduled market place maintenance.  I am not clear of the connection, only that was an observable event prior to settings not working again.

The last (and only other time) that this broke was when I upgraded viewers. 

Since this was broken anyway, and there was yet another new release - I have again upgraded viewers.  That didn't fix the problem nor did the other steps that I took.

I don't know what is going on here.

I just did some testing switching back and forth between my desk top and my lap top.

If I changed the setting in one and logged out, then logged in with the other the setting was changed.  Tried this going back and forth between the two.  So something must be getting saved on the server. (Note:  The setting didn't stick unless I actually searched something at the chosen maturity level.)

Have you tried using a different browser?

Beyond that I'm stuck.

I recently tried to gift a friend of mine, and kept getting a maturity rating error, even though she had her browsing set to show everything. LL had to flip a switch on their end to fix it. So there's definitely another control somewhere.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I recently tried to gift a friend of mine, and kept getting a maturity rating error, even though she had her browsing set to show everything. LL had to flip a switch on their end to fix it. So there's definitely another control somewhere.

Perrie Juran wrote:

If I changed the setting in one and logged out, then logged in with the other the setting was changed.  Tried this going back and forth between the two.  So something must be getting saved on the server. (Note:  The setting didn't stick unless I actually searched something at the chosen maturity level.)

Correct, there are multiple controls - all stored in your Account record. Most of these relate to the different methods of verifying age (PIOF, Aristotle, DoB, etc.). Account information can be lost or corrupted for a variety of reasons, but it's always interesting when your viewer states G,M,A and other LL-owned systems do not. Typically these are most likely to be mirroring errors. The only thing I can say for certain is that the viewer is not a 'decider' in determining maximum maturity, it just does as it's told by your account information.

Aside from some very basic authentication (if you're using the internal browser only, I think, I've not fully tested), no data passes between your viewer and marketplace.secondlife.com.

BTW, It seems my previous post has re-appeared here, which is nice of it. If the OP would like to respond with the information requested this would be awesome. In the meantime I'm gonna occupy myself in hunting Cookie data - Perrie's response above indicates that these are used at least in persisting your current/search Maturity on marketplace.secondlife.com (though again, they do not determine maximum maturity).

I actually did reply to everything that i was asked about the browser, etc.  The only thing that I have not yet tried to do is to use chrome to see if that yeilds a different result. 

For the record and, for the last time, the LL response to the original issue that occured a month or so ago (was posted here as well)  referenced the VIEWER settings.  I'm going to go with what LL said in their ticket reply.  Their steps did fix it then, but not this time.

When I can, I'll try on Chrome and post back, especially if it does work.

Also, someone else mentioned LL internal settings as a possible issue, so perhaps when they can get to the ticket, it will fix this.

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

It’s not working for me, [...]

It sounds to me like your Viewer is crashing out from time to time. Depending on various things, this could very well be the core cause of your Maturity issues. If your Viewer's settings file gets corrupted during the crash, even though it reads the proper values from the server at login time, it may be munging them up and sending nonsense values back when it tells the server the values have been updated (which it will generally do when it realizes the value it has on file is different than the value in memory).

You may want to consider doing a Clean Reinstall of your Viewer to help alleviate any remaining garbage related issues in your Viewer's settings file. You should also check to see how Cookies are being treated on your computer for the SecondLife.com and LindenLab.com web domains. (Cookies should be allowed for both just to be sure that any site-related data gets updated properly in your browser.)

I'm only familiar with Firestorm when it comes to doing a Clean Install; they have instructions on their site for the procedure. You may have to look in the Viewer Forum for instructions on other Viewers or post a question if you can't find it already asked and asnwered there.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Correct, there are multiple controls - all stored in your Account record. Most of these relate to the different methods of verifying age (PIOF, Aristotle, DoB, etc.). Account information can be lost or corrupted for a variety of reasons, but it's always interesting when your viewer states G,M,A and other LL-owned systems do not. Typically these are most likely to be mirroring errors. The only thing I can say for certain is that the viewer is not a 'decider' in determining maximum maturity, it just does as it's told by your account information.

Aside from some very basic authentication (if you're using the internal browser only, I think, I've not fully tested), no data passes between your viewer and marketplace.secondlife.com.

BTW, It seems my previous post has re-appeared
, which is nice of it. If the OP would like to respond with the information requested this would be awesome. In the meantime I'm gonna occupy myself in hunting Cookie data - Perrie's response above indicates that these are used at least in persisting your current/search Maturity on marketplace.secondlife.com (though again, they do not determine maximum maturity).

I did a thread on it once but the way they are handling log ins, log outs and cookies on the websites (Dashboard, Forum, Marketplace, JIRA, MySecondLife) is one giant clusterf*ck.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I don't know what is going on here.

I just did some testing switching back and forth between my desk top and my lap top.

Have you tried using a different browser?

Beyond that I'm stuck.

I finally had a chance to try it on Chrome and I followed your steps - I set it to GMA and then searched on keyword = Gor and it finally took.  Switching back to the other browser, it's now working there as well.

Thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.