How can I get my avatar to stand still while I take snapshots?

Starship Jefferson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I really should know this by now...

I'm sure this must have been mentioned before somewhere, but I can't find the answer....

How can I stop my avatar from following the movement of my cursor? I'm trying to take some product pics but he won't keep still... grrrrr

I've had this ever since I started playing and I normally work around it but I am determined to find out the answer tonight because it's really bugging me..

Do I need to buy something? Or is it on a drop down menu but I keep missin' it?

13 answers to this question

There are many ways such as poseballs but simplest is click on the View tab,Select camera controls,a new box will open in your viewer use these to move the camera to the snapshot position,you can use ALT + left click to make your avatar look at something or somewhere too for a more dramatic pose then move camera.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah this is what I've been doing already to muddle through.... I was hoping someone might point out a 'disable animation' button somewhere...

Problem is that using the alt key blah blah blah is that I just keep getting the back of my av's head lol - for instance I might want him looking at the camera, but stood to one side or whatever...... or looking somewhere different than either directly at the camera or at the object.....

I just want to park him looking at something and then have the freedom to pan around looking for the best shot without the dumbass following the camera heheh.....

Anyways yep I think it's going to have to be poseballs (hassle hassle)

if your just looking to have your AV satnding still to take a snapshop for products get urself a posestand, that way u will get a good selection of poses and ofc be able to add future new poses to it. i recently bought a good and cheap posestand from neko yo ( i lso bought there photography studio) i found both very eay to use and take good pics just using the snapshop. the posestand also has a menu which not only gives u lots of psoes but u can also hide it so u wont see it in any of your final pictures. im still a noivce at sl photography but the posestand i do recomend and it was dirt cheap, it should still be on xstreet or check out neko yo ingame

Another very useful feature after you click the snapshot button, put a check mark in the Freeze frame (full screen preview) box.  This will enable you to pan around your av to find the angle you like best.  Then click the refresh snapshot button and save it either to your hard drive or upload directly into SL.  If you save to your hard drive you will be able to do some post processing in a graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP and upload after you are completely happy with the results.

• Lindens

What lovely creative help here! TRIVIA: when I started Second Life, one of my prized possessions were the Yip-Yips which Starship is showing off in his avatar. But since yipping through my reply isn't going to be of much help,

In addition to the helpful hints already shared, if you right-click an attachment, your avatar will freeze in that position until you deselect your avatar. The freeze is only local, which means you'll see it on your screen, other people won't. It's how, in conjunction with changing my camera angle, I get pictures like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4100261786_93c8b8ffe7.jpg

For many more snapshot tips, bookmark... SNAPSHOT HELP!

Only browsed through the above comments...if I'm repeating someone, I apologize...

I find when a pose is set to 4 in strength....it will override your head movements.

When not and taking pics of myself...I simply alt ctrl and click myself...it will automatically shift your avi's attention strait forward.  I also control my cam by holding down those and moving the mouse around after clicking my avi to find the perfect angle...I find it a lot smoother then messing with the cam controls manually.

Gosh wow thanks people for all the suggestions... lots of things to try!

Not sure who to award the 'correct answer' to... I don't think there is one in this case. I want to give it to Torley because he's Torley ('Yip-Yip' indeed, and nice pic btw), but I'm going instead for Divine, because his/her name reminds me of the splendid American actor/singer from the John Waters movies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.