Export to Collada from SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I see this in the options but it does not seem to work.  Anyone have insights?

I built a frame for a structure with prims and wanted to export to Collada and do addtional work in Maya afterward.  I am not bale to export it. 

~A

As mentioned you need to be the creator of the prims to export. In Firestorm  a window will come up telling you how many of the prims can be exported (so 12/12 for example or 8/12). FS will export the linkset (it is ALWAYS a linkset with prims) of YOUR prims. So if you are using megaprims they will not export. You can replace them (up to 64 x 64 ) with your prims and then the whole linkset will export.

Singularity (last version that I checked anyway) will not export sculpts and will not SAVE the export if there are any spaces in the filename.

If you made part of the structure and a friend or alt made another part, you could each export YOUR prims and then one could send the dae to another if needed.

Scripts do not export. Textures that you did not upload will not export (FS).

• Like 1

Related question: I tried to save a build of my own to collada (using Firestorm) but it would not export even though all the prims and textures were created by me.  There are no sculpts in the build but some of the prims are hollow or sheared.  Could this be the problem? Are only some prim types supported?

Also; why, when a build is uploaded as mesh again, does it still behave as though it's made out of separate prims? As in, I can "edit linked prims" on it and separate the individual prims just as before. It's possibly useful for editing that way but I was expecting it to be all one solid object.

I made two toruses in SL, hollowed, twisted. I linked those in SL. Then I exported them as collada file. After that I opened the file in Blender. No problems found. I think all prim types are supported in the export. Why shouldn't they be?

In Blender those two linked toruses appeared as separate objects, just like in SL before linking. I exported the toruses from Blender and imported to back to SL. In SL they appeared as linked meshes. If you want them to appear as one single mesh in SL then before exporting from Blender join them in object mode to a single mesh in Blender.

I used:

• Firestorm viewer 4.6.1
• Blender 2.70

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.