new here and a few questions

Alaeena

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everybody

I am new here and feeling a little lost on a few things so hoping you all can help me out a little.

I were recommended to use the firestorm program instead of the one you download from SL's homepage, can anyone tell me the differences on those two and which would be best and why?

Secondly I bought a couple animation hugs and kisses, but I can't make it work at all, can it be because I will have to upgrade to premium membership?

A friend of mine entered with me and in trying to change appearance he ended up with feet sticking out of the shoes even with feet set at 0, anyone know how to fix that?

sincerly

Alaeena

Hi Alaeena! And welcome to Second Life (and the forums)!

With regard to your first question about the particular viewer (the programmes that we use to access Second Life are called "viewers"): either the official SL viewer or Firestorm are fine. Firestorm includes a few more options for advanced users than the official viewer does, and some people find that it works better on their computer, but it is a bit behind in development (which is to say, it doesn't get updates as quickly as the official one). But really, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. There are other third-party viewers (TPVs) as well: one that a great many people also use is Singularity. Try them, and see which works best on your computer, and which interface you prefer!

About the animations: you don't need a premium account to make these work. If you can tell us what form they came in, we can probably be more help. Are they animation files in your inventory? Do they use a Heads-Up Display (HUD) that you need to attach? Are they using pose balls that you place on the ground, and then "sit" on? In any case, they should work, if you use them correctly.

The biggest problem with shoes, aside from foot size, is making sure that you use the alpha layer that comes packaged with most shoes these days. This should be in the same folder as the rest of the shoes, and has an icon usually that looks a bit like a shirt -- right click on it, and choose "Add," and the parts of your friend's feet sticking out should probably disappear.

Some older shoes use something called "invisiprims" that used to hide parts of the foot, but these aren't supported generally in most viewers, under most settings, nowadays.

Hope that helps!

Alaeena wrote:

Hello everybody

I am new here and feeling a little lost on a few things so hoping you all can help me out a little.

Welcome to Second Life, Alaeena.

Alaeena wrote:

I were recommended to use the firestorm program instead of the one you download from SL's homepage, can anyone tell me the differences on those two and which would be best and why?

Whoever recommended this to you, probably did so simply because Firestorm is the viewer (which is what a program for viewing Second Life is commonly called) is the viewer which they prefer.  There are way too many differences to name them all and, if I were you, I wouldn't even worry about using a viewer other than the official one supplied by Linden Lab until you get used to it.  After which, you may wish to branch out and try a Third Party Viewer because they do offer more options than the official viewer.  But those options will mean nothing to you until you know what you're doing.  And I say this as someone who also prefers Firestorm.

Alaeena wrote:

Secondly I bought a couple animation hugs and kisses, but I can't make it work at all, can it be because I will have to upgrade to premium membership?

Since I've no idea in which form you bought those animations, I can't really help you with that.  See if there's a notecard with directions in the folder in which they came.  If not, you might want to show them to someone with some experience inworld (meaning when you're signed into Second Life) or IM the person from which you bought them and ask for their help.

Alaeena wrote:

A friend of mine entered with me and in trying to change appearance he ended up with feet sticking out of the shoes even with feet set at 0, anyone know how to fix that?

What your friend needs is an alpha layer to wear which will hide the parts of their foot which stick through the shoes.  Usually, shoes will come with one... if not there are packs of alpha layers available on Marketplace for free, such as this... link.  So, send them that link and tell them to get it or get one yourself and give them a copy, then have them wear the one which works best with the sort of shoes they're trying to wear.

Good Luck ...Dres

Welcome to SL, Alaeena.   You and your friend may be wondering why LL is giving out broken shoes to new accounts.   This is because the shoes in many of the free, default avatars use what we used to call "invisiprims," which have the effect of making invisible the avatar mesh (though not the objects, like shoes, attached to it).

Howevever, in the course upgrading SL's graphics, LL broke the hack (and it was a hack) on which invisiprims depended.   LL provided alpha masks (aka "alpha layers") as an alternative, and for most -- though not all -- cases, they're a huge improvement on the old invisiprims.

However,  even though this problem with the default avatars was pointed out to them back in 2012, LL hasn't got round to rectifying it yet.

Let me add that the distinction between "Add"ing clothing items and "Wear"ing them is important. "Wear" will remove anything already occupying the spot or layer that the new item targets. "Add" will leave all existing things in place. If you are adding a clothing layer thing (with icons that look like clothing) they will layer atop anything else already on that layer. I'll get this wrong, but I think the ordering of layers is roughly skin(top/bottom/head), tattoo(top/bottom/head), undershirt/pants, shirt/pants and finally jacket.

So, if you want to replace one skin/garment/item with another, chose wear. Otherwise, chose "add".

If you haven't already read it, I recommend the User's Guide.

And finally, the similarity in responses you'll get from residents here is the natural and unavoidable consequence of there being only 13 people on the internet. We can't be expected to make each and every "person" you meet here appear unique, particularly when three have called in sick today, and the rest of us are working overtime.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Let me add that the distinction between "Add"ing clothing items and "Wear"ing them is important. "Wear" will remove anything already occupying the spot or layer that the new item targets. "Add" will leave all existing things in place. If you are adding a clothing layer thing (with icons that look like clothing) they will layer atop anything else already on that layer. I'll get this wrong, but I think the ordering of layers is roughly skin(top/bottom/head), tattoo(top/bottom/head), undershirt/pants, shirt/pants and finally jacket.

So, if you want to replace one skin/garment/item with another, chose wear. Otherwise, chose "add".

If you haven't already read it, I recommend the 

And finally, the similarity in responses you'll get from residents here is the natural and unavoidable consequence of there being only 13 people on the internet. We can't be expected to make each and every "person" you meet here appear unique, particularly when three of us have called in sick today, and the rest of us are working overtime.

Sort of like, if I "wear" Dresden, then Laskya gets removed and put into my inventory. But if I "Add" Dresden, then . . .

*shudder*

Ok, let's not go there.

(BTW Maddy, someone took my lunch from the lunchroom fridge. Was it you or Snugs? or both?)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

And finally, the similarity in responses you'll get from residents here is the natural and unavoidable consequence of there being only 13 people on the internet. We can't be expected to make each and every "person" you meet here appear unique, particularly when three of us have called in sick today, and the rest of us are working overtime.

Sort of like, if I "wear" Dresden, then Laskya gets removed and put into my inventory. But if I "Add" Dresden, then . . .

*shudder*

Ok, let's not go there.

(BTW Maddy, someone took my lunch from the lunchroom fridge. Was it you or Snugs? or both?)

Snugs is out sick.

The rest of us shared your lunch.

If my tummy is representative, you may be working by yourself tomorrow.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

BTW, in case you were wondering, Dresden ^^^^^ is my alt and part-time sub whom I've carefully trained to SAY EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS ME IN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WORDS.

He's pretty good at it, no? ;-)

*fume fume*

>:-(

I can guarantee you that I started writing my post before you did.  I apologize for not being able to type as quickly as you, Master (see what I did there?).

...Dres (BTW, you can wear me if you so desire, but be warned that I was already worn out a long time ago.)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

*shudder*

Ok, let's not go there.

Snugs is out sick.

The rest of us shared your lunch.

If my tummy is representative, you may be working by yourself tomorrow.

Rumor has it that wasn't mayonaise on the sandwich.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

BTW, in case you were wondering, Dresden ^^^^^ is my alt and part-time sub whom I've carefully trained to SAY EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS ME IN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WORDS.

He's pretty good at it, no? ;-)

*fume fume*

>:-(

I can guarantee you that I started writing my post before you did.  I apologize for not being able to type as quickly as you, Master (see what I did there?).

...Dres (BTW, you can wear me if you so desire, but be warned that I was already worn out a long time ago.)

MISTRESS!!!!! 

Jeez. Yes, I saw what you did there. >:-(

And don't worry, I wouldn't really wear you. You're waaaaay too buff, and I couldn't handle the inevitable comparisons. ;-)

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I don't know 
what
you ate, but it sure wasn't 
my 
sandwich!!!

I hate Miracle Whip too.

Oh, are you one of Laskya's part-time subs as well?  Her whip is indeed miraculous.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I don't know 
what
my 
sandwich!!!

I hate Miracle Whip too.

Oh, are you one of Laskya's part-time subs as well?  Her whip is indeed miraculous.

...Dres

*facepalms*

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I don't know 
what
my 
sandwich!!!

I hate Miracle Whip too.

...Dres

What happens in the Victoria Crater stays in the Victoria Crater.  :D

Alaeena wrote:

There is no reason other than personal preference. Older users who were not comfortable with the way SL currently works went to an array of user made 'mods' to the program. Firestorm is just one such choice. I would not recommend it for a new user as it has a slower update cycle than all other options.

Alaeena wrote:

No you just need an 'Animation Overide' HUD, or an AO, with which to use animations. Now here is one reason people do use Firestorm - it has one built in. But either built in or as a HUD, you will still have to learn to add animations to the choice you go with - and either method is relatively easy.

Alaeena wrote:

That sounds like your friend is not wearing an alpha layer to hide his feet, so they poke through the shoes. Look in the folder the shoes came with for an alpha map or 'hide feet' item or something, and wear it. In my sig below is a link to a guide on getting started in Second Life. It might help with some of your questions.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Alaeena wrote:

There is no reason other than personal preference. Older users who were not comfortable with the way SL currently works went to an array of user made 'mods' to the program. Firestorm is just one such choice. I would not recommend it for a new user as it has a slower update cycle than all other options.

As I've stated, I also wouldn't recommend it for new users, but not because it's got a slower update cycle.  My issue with recommending it lies in the fact that it is a bit more complicated than the official viewer, simply because it offers so many more options.

As a seasoned user, I love the options Firestorm offers that no other viewer does and it makes little difference to me how quickly it's updated, as long as it's stable and contains those options which I can't get anywhere else.  But a new user has no idea what those options mean and it's better for most to learn on the official viewer.

The one and only way I'd ever advocate Firestorm for a new user, is if I knew them in RL and were able to go over to their house, set it up for them and explain to them the best way to use it as a noobie.  And I've done that more than once.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Alaeena wrote:

No you just need an 'Animation Overide' HUD, or an AO, with which to use animations. Now here is one reason people do use Firestorm - it has one built in. But either built in or as a HUD, you will still have to learn to add animations to the choice you go with - and either method is relatively easy.

This statement doesn't correlate to the question asked.  AOs deal with individual avatar animations, whereas the question was specifically about couples animations.  As such, should Alaeena peek back in on this thread, I would have to encourage them to completely disregard what you've said on this one particular matter.

...Dres

Thank you for all your answers, I will be sticking with firestorm for now then i think.

We will be looking at the feet thing next time in world, and hopefully get it fixed :)

The animation I got was the one I am adding a link to here, hope that is ok.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Meike-TM-Hug-Kiss-202-Deluxe-No-PoseBalls-hud-TRANSFER-Version/5345703

Thank you all so much for your help so far:)

Sincerly 

Alaeena

Alaeena wrote:

Thank you for all your answers, I will be sticking with firestorm for now then i think.

We will be looking at the feet thing next time in world, and hopefully get it fixed
:)

The animation I got was the one I am adding a link to here, hope that is ok.

Thank you all so much for your help so far:)

Sincerly 

Alaeena

hughud.JPG

I have this HUD.  I realized it after I just bought a new one.Meike has dropped the price to a steal since I got mine.  It's a very nice HUD.

I don't know why it is not working for you unless you are on a SIM with scripts disabled.  Not many do that but that would stop it from working.

If scripts are disabled you will see this symbol on the top of your screen.  scripts disabled.JPG

If you click the "I" on the HUD you will get a notecard that explains how it works. 

Other than that I can not decipher a reason for it not to be working.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I wonder if Meike handed these out full perm before they went on hiatus from SL or something.  There are a number of different people offering it on MP for prices varying from 1L up to 2500L.

...Dres

You know that's a good question.  It got me thinking so I checked my transaction history and I did not buy mine from Meike.  I was InWorld when checking out the OP's purchase and had only checked the name of the Creator.  I wonder if her original work somehow escaped into the wild. 

Looking at the store where I got mine I'm pretty sure I see at least one copyright violation now.

p.s.   you'll have mail in a minute.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I wonder if Meike handed these out full perm before they went on hiatus from SL or something.  There are a number of different people offering it on MP for prices varying from 1L up to 2500L.

...Dres

You know that's a good question.  It got me thinking so I checked my transaction history and I did not buy mine from Meike.  I was InWorld when checking out the OP's purchase and had only checked the name of the Creator.  I wonder if her original work somehow escaped into the wild. 

Looking at the store where I got mine I'm pretty sure I see at least one copyright violation now.

p.s.   you'll have mail in a minute.

As I just wrote to you in PM, I bought it from the original creator a few years back and they still have it for sale at their shop for 800L, which is what I paid for it.  Those selling it now on MP may very well have permission to do so, though I can't help but be skeptical about that actually being the case.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.