beware of adobe elements 11+ onwards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If your thinking of buy a photoshop editor stay clear of elements 11 /12 for some stupid reason adobe have ommited the use of TGA files if I ever heard anything so crazy it has to be that, I have place my disgust with there adobe forums and I wish to warn others here,  rather what I belive is wasting your money on a half of a product get yourself the free gimp, I do belive the more people complain to adobe then the better.

I will be boycotting all there software, its is dusgusting

greek Wingtips wrote:

I wrote on the unregisterd forum but the point is who reads the small print to think

That tga has been removed its like saying buying microsoft office without word installed

Its just crazy

No, it would be closer to Microsoft Office not being able to open WordStar or Lotus 1-2-3 files. Elements is a casual consumer product and TGA is a old format that isn't used much for what the average person editing an image will need. You can get free conversion programs on-line if you need them.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I'm not an expert, but surely PNG will serve the same function as TGA so far as SL is concerned? This is about alpha layers, isn't it?

It's not a total replacement because Adobe's PNG exporter likes to wipe out the color channels on pixels with 0 alpha, without an option to preserve them. On the other hand, for the cases where that matters, PSE really isn't the right tool for the job anyway.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I'm not an expert, but surely PNG will serve the same function as TGA so far as SL is concerned? This is about alpha layers, isn't it?

It's not a total replacement because Adobe's PNG exporter likes to wipe out the color channels on pixels with 0 alpha, without an option to preserve them. On the other hand, for the cases where that matters, PSE really isn't the right tool for the job anyway.

Thanks.

This makes sense, now that you explain it. I used to use PSE (a number of years ago), and found that the transparent parts frequently rendered poorly (and often, as I recall, in black) when I imported them into SL. I actually downloaded GIMP almost solely for the purpose of saving those files as PNG or TGA.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.