High temps running SL

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A few weeks ago, I posted questions concerning my laptop over heating whilst running SL. Sometimes the temps would get as high as 200f for the core. One respondant said that was close to boiling water and made a few useful suggestions while another suggested getting Speedfan to assist in monitoring internal temps.

To make a long post short, I followed the suggestions and am happy to report that the internal temps now remain below 130f (120f-127f plugged in while lower when on battery only). And that's with the d/l of the new version of SL 4.6.1 and the graphics set at high. I lucked out seeing no real damage to my graphics area or chip.

Lately, I was thinking should the problem arise again, what area should I be concerned with FIRST?

The HD? The core or GPU?

It's uncomfortable to have a laptop sitting on my lap when the temps get up to 175f and climbing while enjoying SL.

Just throwing this out for future reference and to thank those who gave me an assist during the original problem.

3 answers to this question

I'm glad it worked.  Burning out a GPU or your motherboard can be really expensive.  The best answer is not to burn out either one, and it sounds like you finally have that under control.  If I were you, and really wanted to balance a laptop on my knees, I'd go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart or shop on line for a cooling pad.  I got mine for something like $24 from NewEgg.  It lifts the laptop up off whatever is under it and has a silent fan that blows an extra stream of air on the bottom of the laptop to improve air circulation.  That will save your knees and buy you a little more insurance against burning out something.

• Like 2

With a laptop, everything is so close to everything else that it really doesn't matter WHAT is showing a high temperature.  Everything in your machine is threatened to some degree (pardon the pun.)

Keep things cool by doing the things others have suggested...blow the dust out monthly, make sure the fan's running, use an auxiliary cooling pad, reduce the load by turning down graphics settings, etc.

I don't like seeing electronics get much over 60 - 65 C.  However, graphics chips are designed to run hot, and they can safely be run at 85-90 C.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.