lag and general slowness of SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it just me or has lag and general slowness become more of an issue, I run SL both on a PC and a Imac and I notice the general lag increase, symptoms can be typo lag, failure to tap first time things that have not rezzed.

It would be interesting if other have found the same problem as is it is then something cannot be right.

OK before you bombard me  could be your PC, your internet speed,  etc, let me say the PC is running a 2 gig graphics card,

the Mac is 8 meg of ram and  all running on fiber optic net.

lets hear your views

I've not noticed a general slowdown.  I've noticed evenings when SL is not so good for me, fine for the people I am with.  

Best I can tell, my ISP has some QOS issues....   Now I get out on the road a fair bit, use a lot of hotel hookups, so I see a lot of different connections.   While many public wifi's will give unacceptable  packet loss, that tendency does not seem to correlate with connection speed.  And for a clean connection, I've noticed that once the download speed is above about 2 Mbs, there is very little change in SL performance.  Back to my ISP, I usually test out at 18 - 20 Mbs download.  But some evenings the test results are quite eratic, and down to 6 or 10 Mbps.  On those nights, SL does seem slower.  Even though on clean lines I cant see a difference between 2 and 5 Mbps.  From all this I tend to suspect my ISP a lot more than SL when I have a laggy evening.

Not more than usual, no. Apart from the usual rollout jumping from sim to sim:) About the only minor annoyance is the weekend, but then again our ISP tends to run slow then so not exactly a Second Life prob.

Machine specs for fun:

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core  CPU      E6300  @ 2.80GHz (2799.99 MHz)
Memory: 2048 MB
Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2

yes its ancient I know:) But runs ultra and its easy enough to switch Advanced Lighting  on and off to give a  frame rate boost  if needed.

Not noticed any change to the service response times, simulator frame rates or whatever the OP is grouping under 'lag' that could be the fault of the service.

Tested routinely on busy, high-latency sims where SimFPS is pushed down to 10-15 on the reg. Asset rezzing , physics timing and script EPS follow a steady trend.

Typical misattribution is typical. Any latency noticed while trying to type into chat/search bars is definitively client-side.

Notes:-

• SL will only use 512Mb of VRAM max.
  • Your Mac does not have 8Mb RAM.
  • 'Fiber optic' is more buzzword than information.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

• SL will only use 512Mb of VRAM max.
  • Your Mac does not have 8Mb RAM.

SL will only use a maximum of 512MB of VRAM for textures. In certain sims/situations the total VRAM use can be a lot more.

And I don't think this....

apple-powerbook-100-right.jpg

or this....

II.jpg

will be able to run SL very well.

greek Wingtips wrote:

Is it just me or has lag and general slowness become more of an issue, I run SL both on a PC and a Imac and I notice the general lag increase, symptoms can be typo lag, failure to tap first time things that have not rezzed.

It would be interesting if other have found the same problem as is it is then something cannot be right.

OK before you bombard me  could be your PC, your internet speed,  etc, let me say the PC is running a 2 gig graphics card,

the Mac is 8 meg of ram and  all running on fiber optic net.

lets hear your views

First off, though I am sure you know this, your lag meter can give you some basic clues whether it is Client, Network or Server with clues to the cause.  The most common thing for me is Client side with 'too many complex objects' on a crowded SIM or if I have my draw distance cranked up. That is my computer not being up to the task.

The statistics bar can give you more detailed information but understanding and interpretting the results can be a bit more complex.  For an example, see this thread (pops) where a girl was being accused of lagging the SIM she lived on.  Pay close attention to Qie's response, message 15.

Chat lag as I understand usually indicates Network problems.  This is really something LL has no control over outside it's own Network.  ALL multi player services suffer from this.  Google the phrase 'World of Warcaraft Lag.'  This example (pops) will give you some good idea of the problem when players in New Zealand were having a lot of trouble. 

The biggest problem on the SL side is that it's all user created content and not all of it is made with the best practices in mind.

Really, from all I have read, Lag may be the most difficult thing for LL to deal with and reduce.  I hear people constantly say that LL needs to throw more hardware at everything.  Maybe more hardware would help a little.  But it's a very rare thing that when I look at the statistics bar that I see a Server side problem other than a crowded SIM running out of spare time.  But I have a feeling that is more a computational issue than a hardware issue.  That is something I really don't know.

From everything I've read on the subject, Lag is really something any one who uses any Multi Player service may at times have to deal with.  Does Second Life have more lag than others?  I don't know.  But what I do know is no one is 100% immune to it.  It's a price we pay to play.

Lastly, I'm not trying to make any excuses for LL.  I'm simply stating the facts as I see them.  One thing I have observed is that the more a person actually understands how all the stuff works, the more patient they seem to be about it.  I do personally hate Lag just as much as the next person and would love to see it all go away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.