Ii'm Lost! Help!

Anieta97

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay so I start the game underwater, and I follow these arrows and I finally reach the surface I guess. So I then follow the road to this portal right. went through it. Then I follow the round t these other portals but thesehave symbols with words. for exapmple, Art, ROleplay, Adult. Thos kind. SO I try to go through the Art one and it won't let m through! I'm stuck and no one there to help me. HELP!!!

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Anieta.  I have no idea where you went, but I suspect you might have had an easier time if someone had pointed you toward some basic information >>>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

There is no "best" way to experience SL.  This world is whatever you make of it, so you are free to wander and explore, meet people, create things, dance, go to musical events or car races, play soccer, dress up like an astronaut or a cowboy .... anything you like.  For that reason, anyone that you ask "Where do I go next?" will give you a different answer. The best advice anyone can give you is to read the basic guide, learn and practice fundamental skills like moving around, communicating, and handling your appearance, and then have fun.

If you'd like MY recommendation of a good place to start, try Caledon Oxbridge University.  Learn to use your Search tool and see if you can find it, then teleport there.  They have excellent tutorials for newcomers and there's almost always some friendly person there to offer help.

• Like 2

Welcome to Second Life, Anieta!

I've been here for six years and I'm still lost. I love it.

You won't get far if you depend on walking into signs for directions. So, in addition to Rolig's advice, if you're anxious to see things right away (I sure was when I first started), I recommend the Second Life Destination Guide. During installation of the viewer, your PC should have been told to launch the viewer when you click on the "Teleport" buttons in the Destination Guide, or to give you a Landmark if you are already logged-in. This is a handy way to find interesting places to visit.

Get ready to be overwhelmed, I'm still climbing the learning curve, but it's been fun.

;-)

• Like 2

It sounds like you are on the new user island. Walking through a portal to teleport is rare anywhere else. Most people teleport by using a landmark/surl link, or else by opening the big map (Control M) and clicking on a place.

Teleport failures can be random, but I can think of several other causes:  

1. You may be trying to go to a Moderate or Adult region, but you only have "General" enabled in your viewer (by default). If you are a legal adult, you should be able to enable moderate and adult content access in your preferences if you want to access those things. Log in then Me menu, Preferences, General tab, content access. 

2. You may have a firewall issue. The Microsoft Windows firewall does not usually cause problems if you answer "allow" when it asks you but router or modem firewalls can be a problem. See: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

3. The region you are trying to go to may be down. Try a different destination.

• Like 2

Everyone has great answers and advice, but I think Abigail has the best read on the situation.

You initially showed up on "Learning Island."  Every new avatar starts there.  Then you teleported to "Social Island," which is the second and last mandatory stop on your journey into Second Life.

At Social Island, there is a coliseum with a number of Portal Doors.  Each door is labeled with a category of destination, like Arts, Entertainment, Adult, and so on.  Walking through one of these doors takes you to a random destination within its general category.

However, if the destination it picks is Moderate or Adult, you won't be able to go there unless you a) are 18 or older and b) set your Preferences to allow you to access Moderate and Adult content.  Do that with Me/Preferences.  In the General tab of Preferences, there is a setting for your access levels.

BUT!  I actually don't recommend using the portal doors at all, unless you enjoy simply wandering around random places (I admit, it can be fun.  But it can also be confusing!)

This is the point at which I agree with Rolig.  Use Search/Places and look up Caledon Oxbridge University, then click the Teleport button in the description to go there.  Walk through the campus to learn the basics of Second Life!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.