How do you take items from another person's inventory? (when allowed to, of course)

LittleLollita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys :)

Actually I'm not trying to take items from another person's inventory, just trying to take items from my old avatar's inventory with the current one ;)

I made friends with my old avatar, checked the box that gives permission to take/modify items from the inventory... but then couldn't find anything in the menu that allows me to access to it :s

I use the SL viewer. How does that work? Please, anyone?

Also: I guess it doesn't work if the item is "no transfer", right?

Thank you very much in advance for your help! :)

LittleLollita wrote:

Hi guys
:)

Actually I'm not trying to take items from another person's inventory, just trying to take items from my old avatar's inventory with the current one
;)

I made friends with my old avatar,
checked the box that gives permission to take/modify items from the inventory
but then couldn't find anything in the menu that allows me to access to it
:S

I use the SL viewer. How does that work? Please, anyone?

Also: I guess it doesn't work if the item is "no transfer", right?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
:)

That checkbox allows a friend to modify objects that are rezzed in-world. It doesn't apply to objects in inventory (or attached, for that matter).

Regardless of who owns the account or any powers granted by friendship, transfer and editing of objects is ultimately controlled by the object permissions.  No-copy objects can't be copied, no-mod objects can't be modified, and no-trans objects can't be given away.

Sorry to break it to you the hard way: your old avatar is not you! Or your new avatar is not you. For LL every avatar is an account. They don't really know who is operating the avatar, other than by seeing the IP address and Payment Info. Other than that both your avies are single entities.

But no panic, there is a rather simple way to solve your problem: just log in with your old avatar and send all the stuff from her inventory to your new avie. That works of course only with transferable items, as logic dictates. Obviously most copiable stuff can't be transferred, else all the builders and designers in SL  would be bankrupt by now.

For that reason I would never suggest for any serious SL resident to delete old accounts and create new ones. Nobody can possible fock up so badly they can't show their face anymore. I'm Orca Flotta since January 2007, went through a lot of sheet, messed up many relationships and  friendships, have prolly more enemies than friends but never saw a reason to take the old Orca out of the game. That's like SLuicide, no solution, no way. That's not saying you can't or shouldn't have any alts; I myself have 4, 3 more girls and one tiny male rabbit. But I won't let any of them take over and become my main account. No never!

I have seen this a number of times in the forums, why would you get rid of your avatar? To me that is a little like saying, I got rid of one of my kids today. Its not going to happen. There is nothing you can do with a new avatar that you can't do with an old one, is there? So why? If anything ever happens to SL I'll cry for weeks over the death of my avatar. (Is that odd?)

OP, why? (if you don't mind me asking)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.