LAPTOP SPECS

RJ3YO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I was wondering if someone could tell me which of these laptops would be better for second life. I have asked this question before but I finally narrowed down my choices so if someone could look at these and let me know I would really appreciate it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312830

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314228

https://www.blinq.com/computers-office/pc-laptops-netbooks/dell-inspiron-14z-i14z-6001slv-14-ultrabook-i5-8gb-500gb-32gb-ssd-win-8/109807?condition=new-open-box

If you plan on playing SL from home, just set yourself up a nicer desktop. Buying a laptop isn't really worth it for games, unless you plan on moving about a lot. Desktop will give you a LOT MORE bang for your buck. a $500 laptop won't really handle SL that well either. Low memory, low processing, low quality graphics. I mean what are you upgrading from?

Sorry this is the 2nd one
Acer Aspire V5 V5-552-X814
CPU Type
AMD A-Series
CPU Speed
A10-5757M (2.50GHz)
CPU L2 Cache
4MB
CPU Support
TurboCORE Technology up to 3.5GHz
CPU/VPU
AMD Radeon HD 8650G
Video Memory
Shared system memory
Graphic Type
Integrated Card

The 3rd one is a Dell xps
2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M Dual-Core 6GB of DDR3 RAM 500GB Hard Drive NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB Graphics 15.6" Widescreen LED-Backlit Display 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution SuperMulti DVD Burner 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0+HS Integrated Webcam, Microphone & Speakers Windows 7 home premium 

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

the third link dont works, but i recomended, I7 inter processor with Nvidia video card, i see this laptops toshiba, in a nice price :matte-motes-angry:

There is no need for an i7 if you're going to be gaming. Go with an i5 and get the same results. Not enough data to process, if you're doing rendering and music creation yes go with the newest i7 but if you're just gaming it will never use 100% of an i5 processor.

Get more RAM and a better GPU rather than pay $200 more for an i7

You need to be checking out GAMING computers, and if you really want the best experience on SL then avoid laptops. Laptops are NOT What you want if you are on a budget for a computer. Getting an actual computer will give you a lot more for what you pay for. Check out the deals on newegg and cyberpower. Cyberpower has a winter sale right now

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Back_To_School_2014

And with a little customization you don't have to be stuck with the crappy windows 8. Windows 8 will drive you insane on a desktop and laptop since it is designed for tablet use.

ETA:THe back to school deal gets high frames on a 1920x1200 monitor, Im expecting you won't be using such a large monitor so expect even higher frames than what is displayed on the website.

Your first link should run SL "fine" if you operate it on a cooling stand, which should always be the modus operandi with laptops:

AMD Radeon HD 8570M

The AMD Radeon HD 8570M (sometimes also called ATI Mobility Radeon HD 8570) is a DirectX 11.1 graphics card for small laptops. The core is clocked at 650 MHz and is able to overclock itself to 700 MHz with Boost. The DDR3 graphics memory is clocked at 1000 MHz. The 28nm Mars core uses the GCN architecture. Compared to the 8600M and 8700M series, the 8570M is different only in clock speed, memory bus configuration, and memory type.

The performance of the Radeon HD 8570M is similar to the old Radeon HD 6570M or GeForce GT 630M. Current and demanding games like Far Cry 3 will run fluently only in low resolutions and detail settings.

The 384 shaders can be used with OpenCL 1.2 for general-purpose calculations (as 6 compute units). Compared to old TeraScale 2 chips, the GCN-based Mars architecture offers improved performance in this framework.

Features of the 8570M include video decoding via UVD3 for decoding MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Flash directly from the AMD GPU. Multi-View Codec (MVC) and MPEG-4 part 2 (DivX, xVid) HD videos are now compatible as well.

The 8500M series also supports automatic graphics switching between the integrated GPU and discrete GPU. Called Enduro, the technology supersedes AMD's Dynamic Switchable Graphics and is similar to Nvidia's Optimus. Furthermore, the 8570M can directly support up to 2 connected monitors using Eyefinity Technology if Enduro is disabled.

Other features of the 8500M series include ZeroCore for reducing power consumption when the display is turned off and Power Gating to power down areas of the chip that are not used. PowerTune allows automatic overclocking and underclocking of the graphics card as long as the GPU is within its TDP limit. For example, the chip may be underclocked when running FurMark and OCCT, but will overclock in certain games like Lost Planet, Crysis or Resident Evil 5.

The integrated HD audio processor is able to transmit HD Audio (TrueHD or DTS Master Audio) over HDMI and DisplayPort (e.g., for Blu-Ray videos). Additionally, it now allows audio to output simultaneously and in parallel to multiple devices with the new Discrete Digital Multipoint Audio (DDMA) feature.

The power consumption should be somewhat below that of the old HD 7650M. As a result, the 8570M is suited for 13-inch notebooks or larger.

2nd link revealed this:

Thank you for visiting Newegg.com. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience but we are currently experiencing problems on our server. Please try again at a later time.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs or simply contact us and our helpful staff will alleviate any concerns you may have.

3rd link:

That Dell is an ultrabook! :smileysurprised: These things make nifty ladies purses but hardly usable gaming machines. Also the GPU seems worserer than the one from your 1st link. All in all I didn't check on all the other specs since graphic power is what you want and need.

MIstahMoose wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

the third link dont works, but i recomended, I7 inter processor with Nvidia video card, i see this laptops toshiba, in a nice price :matte-motes-angry:

There is no need for an i7 if you're going to be gaming. Go with an i5 and get the same results. Not enough data to process, if you're doing rendering and music creation yes go with the newest i7 but if you're just gaming it will never use 100% of an i5 processor.

Get more RAM and a better GPU rather than pay $200 more for an i7

You need to be checking out GAMING computers, and if you really want the best experience on SL then avoid laptops. Laptops are NOT What you want if you are on a budget for a computer. Getting an actual computer will give you a lot more for what you pay for. Check out the deals on newegg and cyberpower. Cyberpower has a winter sale right now

And with a little customization you don't have to be stuck with the crappy windows 8. Windows 8 will drive you insane on a desktop and laptop since it is designed for tablet use.

ETA:THe back to school deal gets high frames on a 1920x1200 monitor, Im expecting you won't be using such a large monitor so expect even higher frames than what is displayed on the website.

you are wrong, if i want pay for a laptop, I7 is perfect, and have a nice price , i5 is obsolete and more slow, :matte-motes-angry:

note, this laptop I7 ,He can use in all he want not only second life, because i can play second life same in my celular phone and not for this i need get a obsolete I5 computer, :matte-motes-angry:

i5 is obsolete and more slow

Obsolete? Obso**bleep**inglete??? i5 are the same age and generation as i7 chips. But they are considerably cheaper, which gives you more money to spend for stuff you really need: graphic cards! Fact is: i7 is wasted money for an application like SL.

If I have the choice between i7 + GT720 and i5 + GTX780 I'd always choose the second option.

Orca Flotta wrote:

i5 is obsolete and more slow

Obsolete? Obso**bleep**inglete??? i5 are the same age and generation as i7 chips. But they are considerably cheaper, which gives you more money to spend for stuff you really need:
graphic cards!
Fact is: i7 is wasted money for an application like SL.

If I have the choice between i7 + GT720 and i5 + GTX780 I'd
always
choose the second option.

wrong and wrong, i see a nice I7, with nvidia card 780gtx in a better price than horrible and gimp I5 :matte-motes-angry:

i see a nice I7, with nvidia card 780gtx in a better price than horrible and gimp I5

Okay, I challenge you:

show me the link to a shop which sells a i7/GTX780 combo cheaper then a i5/GTX780. And let's not forget we're talking about laptops here, Ivan.

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

... horrible and gimp I5  :matte-motes-angry:

It appears that you haven't done your homework well, have you?

Intel i5 works very well in games with good GPU. There isn't much difference in games compared to Intel i7.

Have a look here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

i7 has advantages over i5 for example in multimedia creation and heavy multitasking, but in playing games the differences between these CPUs are negligible.

Coby Foden wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

... horrible and gimp I5  :matte-motes-angry:

It appears that you haven't done your homework well, have you?

Intel i5 works very well in games with good GPU. There isn't much difference
in games
compared to Intel i7.

Have a look here:

i7 has advantages over i5 for example in multimedia creation and heavy multitasking, but in playing games the differences between these CPUs are negligible.

reports of websites? the people all solve it with reports and reviews on the web always used the web as if outside the maximum truth, many of those pages are paid by the competition,  I can not believe in reviews, either way if you can get an I7 the price of an I5, the i7 is best buy,

:matte-motes-angry:

Lenovo with AMD A8-550M and Radeon HD 8570M, 5fps tombraider

Acer with A8-5557M and Radeon HD 8550G, APU, 30fps tombraider

Dell Inspiron with the i5 and Radeon HD 7570M, 15fps tombraider

So I read up on each laptop you are considering. The cpu processors are about equal. For graphics cards, I looked at the notebookcheck site benchmarks and game fps benchmarks. The 8570M in the Lenovo looks pretty bad for gaming. The 7570M is a bit better and is a dedicated graphics chip. The 8550G is pretty good even though it is a integrated with the cpu and shares the memory.

I wouldn't recommend the Lenovo because of the poor graphics benchmarks. The Dell looks good but I would consider the 14" screen and the fact that it is an open box sale. The Acer seems to perform best but I don't know if the shared memory will cause it to perform worse than the Dell. You could upgrade the memory to improve performance though.

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

reports of websites? the people all solve it with reports and reviews on the web always used the web as if outside the maximum truth, many of those pages are paid by the competition,  I can not believe in reviews, ...

Perhaps you could share with us the reliable sources where you get the results? Thank you.

if you can get an I7 the price of an I5, the i7 is best buy,

Yes it would be if you can get it at the same price. The magic word here is IF. So I challenge you again: give us a link to where you found that offer or it's not true. And btw, even if some of the sites have any dealings with some manufacturers, benchmarks don't lie. And no website ever said the i5 is better than the i7, it's just not worth the excess price when you're just gaming. And why would Intel pay any website to rank their slower processor architecture over their fast and more expensive one. That would make no sense. And you don't make any sense neither.

RJ3YO wrote:

Do you recommend that one or this one? 

• AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz)
  • 6GB Memory 1TB HDD
  • AMD Radeon HD 8650G
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 8
  • DVD±R/RW

Intel I7, with nvidia 780gtx, i dont like AMD because do not works to much time for the heating, the AMD works hot, I5 is a nice choise, because are cheap the most time, but try to buy one with Intel, no AMD, and try to get one with I7 i see in amazon a nice offers with I7 and nvidia card 780 gtx, the ram and hardisk is not important because the most gimp computers have alots of memory and hardisk, the important here is the prosessor and video card.

That 8570m just seems to have consistently bad benchmark results compared to the other ones.

The benchmarks on those 8650Gs look pretty good.

To recap:

7570M - best but dependent on ram memory in computer

8560G - a little better than the 8550G

8550G - not bad

8570M - bad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.