help with hair mesh in sl

harmony Palmira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi every one im just new with this in sl i worked on other games making hair meshes with 3ds max . but it seem in sl the story is diff i mean i just upload my 1st hair mesh here  but i dont know how to skin it i mean how to attache the hair to other bones like shoulders ..etc  any tut help with that . also im asking how the hairs moving in here is this thing i should do in 3ds max or in sl ?

I doubt seriously that anyone is going to post a tutorial for you :D. I would be happy to see it if they do.

Meanwhile know that while RIGGED MESH hair needs to be rigged, you can make mesh hair (short and updos best of course) that is not rigged. For that you attach it like you would jewelry etc. If you don't know how to do that then best you spend a little time here and figure out the basics.

Good luck.

Download the SL avatar, found somewhere here on secondlife.com.  Watch tutorials about rigged clothes.

The "attach" or rig of hair... to specific bones is done in 3DS not in SL.

Simply google for - rigging clothes for SL - and use the parts you need.

After the wig is rigged it doesn´t matter where you attach them in SL, even hands feet or bum would work (bum doesnt work that´s an old SL joke)

No one can explain in a few lines how to rig hair for SL - unrigged well upload attach done.

Monti

harmony Palmira wrote:

hi every one im just new with this in sl i worked on other games making hair meshes with 3ds max . but it seem in sl the story is diff i mean i just upload my 1st hair mesh here  but i dont know how to skin it i mean how to attache the hair to other bones like shoulders ..etc  any tut help with that . also im asking how the hairs moving in here is this thing i should do in 3ds max or in sl ?

Most people are very willing to help, but the problem is generally who has experience in the specific program and/or that creative task. Not as many people make hair, and even less make it in 3ds Max. You can probably use the new skeletons that LL released recently for the Fitted mesh project. Download the skeletons here. I'm pretty sure they should work for you.

A good amount of people use Blender to make clothing and hair for SL. I originally learned 3D creation in 3ds Max, but now I'm pretty exclusively using Blender. I also use the Avastar addon for Blender. It comes with the default SL avatar, rigged and all, with a bunch of tools and features that are exclusive to SL. It's generally better to use a tools specifically created for SL, rather than banging your head against a wall trying to get other programs to work, at least in my experience.

I tried to open them in 3ds Max 8 and got similar issues. All I can really say is to learn Blender. I was considering buying the newest 3ds Max, but then decided to try Blender. Now, I'll likely never use the other 3d programs again. Blender has everything, and the more I use it, the more I prefer it over Max or Maya.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

harmony Palmira wrote:

Most people are very willing to help, but the problem is generally who has experience in the specific program and/or that creative task. Not as many people make hair, and even less make it in 3ds Max. You can probably use the new skeletons that LL released recently for the Fitted mesh project. Download the skeletons
. I'm pretty sure they should work for you.

A good amount of people use Blender to make clothing and hair for SL. I originally learned 3D creation in 3ds Max, but now I'm pretty exclusively using Blender. I also use the Avastar addon for Blender. It comes with the default SL avatar, rigged and all, with a bunch of tools and features that are exclusive to SL. It's generally better to use a tools specifically created for SL, rather than banging your head against a wall trying to get other programs to work, at least in my experience.

Avastar is exactly what I would suggest too. Its dae exporter is tweaked to export SL compatible meshes. And Gaia has lots of good video tutorials for rigging. It is a very good investment.

RiftRaven wrote:

Avastar is exactly what I would suggest too. Its dae exporter is tweaked to export SL compatible meshes. And Gaia has lots of good video tutorials for rigging. It is a very good investment.

DITTO! Avastar was created for SL avatars, so it has everything you could ever want to work on the SL avatar. The service and updates come almost immediately when LL changes something in SL. It's worth every penny and more. If I were Gaia, I'd likely charge much more for the add on. lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.