Survey Ethics

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is yet another request over in the SLEDU subforum looking for volunteers: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Education/Second-Life-Avatar-Study-Volunteers-needed-for-5-amazon-vouchers/m-p/2360293#M583

This one is slightly different, not being your run-of-the-mill "I'm a student who would like my research paper done for me", nor "I'm in a multinational marketing function and I have to make a business case to establish a virtual storefront, nor even, "I'm a lazy journalist who would like someone else to write my article", but a full-on project fronted by an academic staffer whose details are easily confirmable at his University's site.

What you have to dig a little for, though, is the source of funding of the SuperIdentity project for which he is seeking willing participants - who will have to provide a real life photo to assist in biometric analysis of similarity to their avatar.

It's the US Department of Homeland Security!

What do you think of the ethics of not explaining who is funding the project up front in the OP, especially given potential concerns regarding the data privacy and security?

Or don't you mind who is bugging you?

I think its unethical, given the potential of what the data they gather may be used for and the possibility that your RL picture will be turned over to the government to be used for unknown purposes.  I for one won't participate.  The government is invading people's privacy too much IMO.  Ben Franklin had it right:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."                                                                                                                  - Benjamin Franklin

Unbelievable stuff.  I looked at his credentials; I thought he was a Proctologist the way he asked of us to bend over.  But, alas, he is a Doctor of Psychology.   

PS And a project manager, too. 

PPS I am in search of a gastroenterologist with bartending experience, I wonder if Dr. Neil can do a referral. 

Looking into their "results" they are apparently using the hoary old "Twenty Statements Test" ie write 20 statements in answer to the self-addressed question "Who am I?" to assess personality.

I reckon the US DHS is probably getting ripped off, especially if they are trying to establish biometric equivalences with avatars who generally make NBA stars look like midgets.

They keep banging on about their mission being to "assure online anonymity", whereas one will get you ten that the DHS are looking for other ways to crack online identity, now they have effectively admitted that they can't penetrate the DarkNets.

**********Rudi**********

The most recent published results of the SuperIdentity (SID!) project make hysterical reading.

Here is their conclusion on avatar design following a survey they did which was presumably similar to the one they are currently floating:

"If the avatar isn’t unbelievably crazy looking...it's probably pretty spot on"

Right . . .

**********Rudi**********

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.