OK, How do I find saved IM,s on my comp?

HarleiQuinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

Becareful not to share them with anyone for that is not allowed on SL.

Shariing of personal information, chats, IMs is not allowed within Second Life, but that is where the ToS ends at. I can post whatever is said to me anywhere else and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

TristanMercer wrote:

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

Becareful not to share them with anyone for that is not allowed on SL.

Shariing of personal information, chats, IMs is not allowed within Second Life, but that is where the ToS ends at. I can post whatever is said to me anywhere else and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

I often see this quoted that "there is nothing that anyone can do about it" but there is.  Your Second Life account can be terminated for many reasons and who are you going to complain to?  "Lindens" by the very obfuscation that exists, are mostly faceless to the residents of SL.

In other words, should one of them choose to ban you, good luck complaining to Faceless Linden about Random Linden who told Slopeyshoulders Linden to delete your account for a laugh for posting something nasty about whatever that was dug up on some other website.

TristanMercer wrote:

They is inviting a lawsuit that would surely be won by the complaintant.

Nope. Read ToS, LL can ban users for any reason at all (or no reason) and there is no legal recourse to this.

LL don't typically ban people for dumb stuff they post on other servers = TRUE.

LL can ban people for dumb stuff they post on other servers = TRUE. (I would go so far as to say that they have banned people for this, but I'd be unable to name cases. Suggest Google.)

Don't mistake correlation for causation. And don't take legal advice from anyone who uses the word 'complaintant'.

Let me ask you this, what legal right do you feel you have to use the service provided by Linden Lab?

See, you keep editing, i'm not saying they do go around banning for things being said on third party sites but they can if they choose.  Not much you can do about it if they do.  You have no legal given right to access Second Life, at all.  None.

TristanMercer wrote:

Just the same right as you do. Don't go getting your panties all twisted into a knot.

Exactly.  No right at all.  I'm not getting anything twisted, just correcting the commonly and incorrectly held assertion that there's nothing LL can do.  They can deny access for any reason at all, you found that part yourself.

They can, really they can :)

Maybe just because it's difficult to defend points made without supporting evidence.

TristanMercer wrote:

I can post whatever is said to me anywhere else and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Linden Lab Terms of Service is a legal document that DOES NOT extend beyond their servers. That is fact.

Linden Lab cannot punish you for something said about them, another resident or anything of the sort outside of SL servers.

These are all lies. This is a fact.

Now we're even, right? :D

I think what a lot of people are unaware of are various state laws in the US regarding privacy rights. I believe in about a dozen states if you record a private conversation and reveal it, you can be in for a world of legal hurt. This has nothing to do with the Linden Lab TOS. If the damaged party chooses to pursue a case, they subpeona your rl name and information, then take you to court.

• 2 months later...

Beauty Haramori wrote:

I looked there and there is NOTHING listed.  How do you find CHAT logs when nothing is listed?

First, do you have 'save log & transcripts' selected.  If not, nothing will be saved.

Second, the destination folder will only appear when you are logged in.

As Perrie says, you won't find anything unless you have the viewer set to record chat and logs.

Also, by default in Windows, the logs get saved to a sub-folder of .appdata, which is itself, by default, a hidden folder.    So if you mean you can't find .appdata, follow the instructions here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.