New MP category wanted -- Christmas Giftboxes

Persephone Meads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I would like to have a new subcategory added to the Christmas category, a category for Christmas giftboxes. There are LOTS of them in the Christmas category. I want a place to put my giftboxes that specifically say "Merry Christmas", not have them tucked away with non-specified-winter-solstice-timed-holiday-celebration giftboxes in the Winterfest Gift Boxes category or have them lost in the pile of clutter that is the Christmas category. (Almost 23k items in Christmas! O.O )

I was told by Dakota Linden that category requests had to be made as posts in the Merchant's forum after I had filed a support ticket for additional categories to be added to the Marketplace. So that's what I've done with this post.

She also told me that Lindens DO monitor the posts on the forum and that categories have been added as a direct result of Marketplace users' requests.

Christmas is de facto celebrated by both Christians and non-Christians (see Japan, for example). If Winterfest were covering all the holidays, as you posted it does, then why are both Christmas and Chanukah not sub-categories of Winterfest instead of being independent categories? To me, it seems as though the Lindens have decided that Winterfest, Chanukah and Christmas are three separate holidays. The general consensus of merchants listing on Marketplace seems to be to put winter holiday items in the Christmas category, to judge by the wide disparity of number of items in Christmas versus Winterfest.

I already have appropriate keywords so my current items can be easily found in search. As a person who uses Marketplace search myself, it would be easier if there were more categories and more specific categories, especially for categories where there are thousands and thousands of items.

That is an extremely specific category, which is why I believe they wouldn't add it. Now, giftboxes, a general category, possibly, though also not likely. I know they do read suggestions here, whether they take them seriously is another matter. It took them a very long time to make the breedables category, for instance, despite ebing asked to do so when MP first came out(and repeatedly ever since, as well). That category is very broad as well, which is why it has subs, but those weren't created for quite some time, either. So they mayread, but that doesn't mean they actually listen to most of it. The mere fact that they haven't implemented the majority of things asked for(and some, pretty darn important, and not cosmetic) tells us that what they read likely goes right through their brains into the round filing bin.

(that's probably why they ask for them here, we have no way to know if they really read it and turned it down for valid reasons, or not...where a ticket, they might have to actually answer even if it's scripted and generic)

I know there may be thousands of Christmas gift boxes on MP. But that doesn't necessarily mean they need a whole new category for it. People will get better exposure on those just using a general Christmas category, or even if there were a "Christmas Gifts" category. That category would make sense(though it would open the floodgates for just about anything to be labeled as a gift-which is why we don't have it). A sub-category in Christmas simply for giftboxes, however, would not seem a reasonable request. At least, I don't believe it would. I understand why you want it, I just don't think it's likely you'll ever see it.

Maybe a giftboxes category under Celebrations would work, there would be a lot more traffic to it, but then people will complain about havng to wade through those too, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.