Unbagging/unboxed script

Victoria Lovelace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every now and then I will get a report of somesort from a person that didnt get all of their items in their bag from my store. I use an unbagging script in my bag, but I don't know if the cause of this type of error is the script not sending all of the items,  (meaning that if they just tried again or better yet put the bag on the ground and right clicked to open to successfully get all of the items), or lag, or if it must be some sort of SL bug where it really is not all there in the bag? I have tried numerous times opening my own bags from the script and have successfully recieved every item each time. Would anyone have any sort of explaination for this? Thanks.

No explanation and, unfortunately, there's no solution to confirming delivery other than keeping track of whether the customer ever rezzes an item.  One thing you can do is have the script send you the list of items it is delivering to the customer when it is activated.  That still doesn't cover those cases where the customer takes things directly from the object's contents though :-(

I generally ignore unbagging scripts in the few items I buy that use them, so I can't tell you much from personal experience with them.  The way to test any such scripts, though, is to hand them to an alt who does not have permission to modify your stuff.  Permission issues can be tricky.  A script that works well and hands you things will not necessarily hand them to someone else if you have set the permissions wrong.

One possible explanation is that the "unbagging" script is trying to use llGiveInventoryList and not llGiveInventory.   The former, llGiveInvnentoryList, is usually preferable, since it gives all the contents of the prim at once, in a folder it creates in the recipient's inventory.  

The latter, llGiveInventory, gives the items one by one, so the recipient has to accept each one separately, and they end up in the folder appropriate to their type (so the alpha masks and shoe layer will end up in "Clothes", and the shoe prims or meshes will end up in "Objects" and landmarks and notecards will end up in their appropriate folders.

However, unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to use llGiveInventory, since it will give items that are no-copy to the owner of the objects.   In contrast, llGiveInventoryList only gives objects that the owner of the objects may copy.

What this means in practice is that I can use llGiveInventoryList with vendors in my store to sell no-copy items because, at the time the vendor gives the items, they belong to me and I can copy them.   So the customer only has to click "accept" once and the items end up in a folder.   

However, if I'm selling the no-copy (to the customer) items in a bag or box, I can't use llGiveInventoryList because, by the time the customer comes to unpack the bag, it (and its contents) all belong to her, and are now no-copy as far as she (and the script) is concerned.   Then I have to use llGiveInventory (or simply sell the things in a box and set the default touch action to "Open").

This would explain why you can unpack the bags successfully, but your customers can't.   Since you made the items, they're copiable by you, so llGiveInventoryList works for you, but only for you.    If you change the next user perms to copy/no transfer, you should find the scripts work for anyone.

This, by the way, is a good example of why it's so important to test everything with the assistance of a friend or an alt before putting it up for sale, at least if it has a script in it  -- there are several lsl functions that behave very differently depending on what the owner's permissions are.

It's a bug, usually happens when a large amount of items is boxed up. I've had this happen on various occasions, it's no fun. For example, a full perm kit came with 40 trees. Only half of which ended up in my inventory folder.
Then a few weeks later I purchased a pair of mesh shoes. Everything but the HUD showed up in my inventory.

If the items are copy able then it works just fine to simply rez the box again and to unpack it once more. Hasn't failed me twice in a row thus far.

If it's transfer only items then yeah, it would actually mean items were lost in the process. This bug has happened to me about 5 times throughout the past year, most recent was about 2 month ago, and thus far has thankfully not happened on no copy products (yet).

thanks for the replys. I dont sell any no-copy items (except for my gift cards which do not use a script to open), so permissions arent the issue. I feel as if I should return back to the good-old-reliable rezz and right click to open method, but I have gotten numerous suggestions to put in a click to open script because its so convienent.

Thing is though, I had previously had a script that ended up doing the same thing. Since I had complaints about not all items being recieved, I took the script out of the bags and set it to right click to open. Things seemed to have been going fine with that, no complaints as I could recall. Then I kept getting suggestions for script to open the bag. So I tried out a new script, thinking maybe the problem wouldnt occur again. Only to awake to a bad review left on my market because a person cant figure out how to get all the items out of the bag and commenting "waste of money". -sigh- I cant seem to make everyone happy lol.

edit: if anyone would be nice enough to write a new script that would put floating text above the bag ONLY when attached to the avatar (if possible) that says something along the lines of "Rezz me to open." I will pay of course for this service. you can contact me in world, I am online now. vixtris resident.

An unbagging script is an overkill because there is "open" option, besides a customer can just rez the box, manually edit, and drag it content into inventory.

If however you must have an unbagging script for whatever reason, consider putting llSleep(0.5) between each llGiveInventory(). Experience shows that when a sim server is lagged and a large number of  inventory transfer requests comes rapidly, the server may choke on it a skip a few.

• 1 month later...

Ela is correct.  With individual item give scripts, the problem you're having is that, even though SL's own wiki states you can move 42 items at a time, it's more like 10 at a time (safely).  Anything more than that and you may get failures.  If your script is giving items individually, the llSleep(0.5); statement after llGiveInventory will minimize the chance of give failures.

My recommendation is to use a folder giving script instead.  I have been using a folder give script in my boxed products since 2007 and I've never had a failure, even with 30 items, so I am confident in its ability to give folders of my boxed products.

This one is obvious, but it needs mentioned:  If your customer is on land that doesn't allow scripts to run, the script won't be able to give any items because it won't be running.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.