See Item in Second Life!

Marifee Dexler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I imagine Merchants with hundreds of MP products not being keen on updating all their SLURLs each time they need to move their store, just as they'd balk at the prospect of having to also update all their in-product LMs. I seem to remember that some attempts have been made to create 'dynamic SLURLs' of sorts, but the system itself seemed complicated enough (not to mention expensive, and not necessarily easy to use, either from the merchant or the customer's perspective), and I'm not sure if the MP has any sort of automatic, all-items SLURL change. So as a general rule, I use that 'See item in-world' link, but if it seems outdated, I don't waste much time regretting it... I just browse the creator's profile for the current shop location /*shrugs*/

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

I generally go to the creator's profile and/or use search to find their inworld store and then find the item on my own.

Ren Toxx wrote:

... I just browse the creator's profile for the current shop location
/*shrugs*/

I never use the links...like Griffin and Rend both said, teleporting to the store by opening up the creator's profile -- or using search -- to find the current store is best. Yes, it would require walking/cameraing around attempting to find the item, but at least it gets you to the store...which is better than nothing. :smileyvery-happy:

Some of these replies make no sense.

If you're going to put a new product up, at least give a valid link to see it.  Who is purchasing an item site unseen?  Especially big ticket items.

Secondly, what's the deal with classified ads, for products.  You can go through 10, and 10 will not work.  These are paid for, and in the users profiles, and are invalid.  How about updating those?

If you have a large product that has an invalid link, your profile has an invalid link, and so on, I'm not going to do all the work for you and then pay you for the product.  That's a lot of work if it's not free, there's others out there.

Then of course, when you do find one, it's a massive store...like massive, and the item is on the other side of the sim.  Landing points I understand, but it's still almost bait and switch.

Israel Schnute wrote:

If you're going to put a new product up, at least give a valid link to see it.  Who is purchasing an item site unseen?  Especially big ticket items.

You'd be surprised.

If you have a large product that has an invalid link, your profile has an invalid link, and so on, I'm not going to do all the work for you and then pay you for the product.  That's a lot of work if it's not free, there's others out there.

And that's your choice.

Then of course, when you do find one, it's a massive store...like massive, and the item is on the other side of the sim.  Landing points I understand, but it's still almost bait and switch.

Oh, gosh. Having to actually walk across a sim. The horror!

*waits for the accusations that I'm a "shill" for every merchant that ever was in SL in addtion to being a "shill" for LL*

Ren Toxx wrote:

I imagine Merchants with hundreds of MP products not being keen on updating all their SLURLs each time they need to move their store, just as they'd balk at the prospect of having to also update all their in-product LMs. I seem to remember that some attempts have been made to create 
'dynamic SLURLs'
of sorts, but the system itself seemed complicated enough (not to mention expensive, and not necessarily easy to use, either from the merchant or the customer's perspective), and I'm not sure if the MP has any sort of automatic, all-items SLURL change. So as a general rule, I use that 
'See item in-world'
link, but if it seems outdated, I don't waste much time regretting it... I just browse the creator's profile for the current shop location
/*shrugs*/

I was involved in the thread on the Merchants Forum when Toysoldier Thor had the great idea for Virtual Landmarks.  It got as far as him meeting with several Lindens who liked the idea and were then going to propose it within LL.  In the meantime, someone created this as a product - Virtual Landmarks for Virtual Worlds.

@OP - It's not merchants trying to cause frustration; if the store no longer exists (as verified by checking in the merchant's profile) then it is very likely that the merchant has closed their in world store and strictly sells on the MP and didn't change the "See Item in SL" from the item description."  I fall into that group of merchants, but I have a very small store so changing each listing manually wasn't hard for me; I can imagine merchants with hundreds or thousands of products that no longer have in world stores may not do that.  It is frustrating for the customer.  I do wish there was a way to globally change that in MP listings.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Israel Schnute wrote:

You'd be surprised.

And that's your choice.

Oh, gosh. Having to actually walk across a sim. The horror!

*waits for the accusations that I'm a "shill" for every merchant that ever was in SL in addtion to being a "shill" for LL*

*Applauds your post for common sense*

~A small merchant

I understand your frustration. I try to keep items organised over 2 sims but it gets hard. Often I can't display every item I have on MP, but I do display most of them. It is a matter of conserving land impact. However, I do want people to come to the store and at least they can try a similar item or get an idea about the quality of the items I sell. It's not a perfect situation. 

I do very much understand your frustration, and I feel the same as a customer when I shop. You might be surprised how few customers come inworld to purchase. I can get MP sales all day and the sims are empty. It makes me wonder why I have these sims at all sometimes.

Rya Nitely wrote:

I do very much understand your frustration, and I feel the same as a customer when I shop. You might be surprised how few customers come inworld to purchase. I can get MP sales all day and the sims are empty. It makes me wonder why I have these sims at all sometimes.

Very true.  I had an in world store for four years and regardless of how much or how little marketing I did, 98% of my sales have been, from day one of being a merchant, from online - first Xstreet and OnRez, then the various morphs of Xstreet to become the current MP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.