Do While Loop not Looping

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm trying get my do while loop to actually loop but I haven't had much luck. I've set it up correctly so I am assuming it has to do with where I put it. Is anyone able to help me figure it out? I tested and put the loop into the state_entry() but it was still only running once and stopping. Thanks!

integer switch = 1;

{   
    state_entry()
    {    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        if (switch == 0)
            {
                switch = 1;
                llSay(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "1");
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00, PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, FALSE ,<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0]);
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 5, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00, PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE , PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0  ]);
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 6, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 3, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 2, [PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);
            }
        else 
            {
                switch = 0;
                llSay(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "0");
                do
                {
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, TRUE ,<1.0, 0.8, 0.6>, .5 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0 ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 5, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0  ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 6, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0 ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 3, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 2, [PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0]);
                    llSleep(1);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00, PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, FALSE ,<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 5, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00, PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE , PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0  ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 6, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 3, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 2, [PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, FALSE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0   ]);            
                    llSleep(.25);  
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, TRUE ,<1.0, 0.8, 0.6>, .5 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0  ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 5, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0  ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 6, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .00 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0 ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 3, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE ]);
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 2, [PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0]);
                    llSleep(.75);
                 }         
                while (switch = 0);
            }
    }
}

So I'm trying get my do while loop to actually loop but I haven't had much luck. I've set it up correctly so I am assuming it has to do with where I put it. Is anyone able to help me figure it out? I tested and put the loop into the state_entry() but it was still only running once and stopping. Thanks!

integer switch = 1;

{   
    state_entry()
    {    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        if (switch == 0)
            {
                switch = 1;
                llSay(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "1");
            }
        else 
            {
                switch = 0;
                llSay(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "0");
                do
                {
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, TRUE ,<1.0, 0.8, 0.6>, .5 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0 ]);
                    llSleep(1);
                    llSleep(.25);  
                    llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( 4, [ PRIM_GLOW, ALL_SIDES, .02 , PRIM_FULLBRIGHT, ALL_SIDES, TRUE, PRIM_POINT_LIGHT, TRUE ,<1.0, 0.8, 0.6>, .5 , 6.0, 0.75, PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, < 0.99, 0.8, 0.61>, 1.0  ]);
                    llSleep(.75);
                 }         
                while (switch = 0);
            }
    }
}

What you really want to do is run a timer.  It's going to be much more efficient.  Set a global counter as a flag to tell you how many times the timer has triggered, and use that information to do a different thing each time.

timer(){    ++gCounter;   //increment a global integer variable    if (gCounter%4 == 1)    {        //Do the first set of SLPPF things        llSetTimerEvent(1.0);    }    else if (gCounter%4 == 2)    {        //Do the second set of things        llSetTimerEvent(0.25);    }    else if (gCounter%4 == 3)    {        //Do the third set of things        llSetTimerEvent(0.75);    }    else if (gCounter%4 == 0)    {        //Do the fourth set of things        llSetTimerEvent(0.25);    }}

Then all you need is a way to turn the timer on and off.  You almost have that, but not quite.  Set your touch_start event something like this, just as if you are turning a light switch on and off ....

touch_start(integer num){    switch = !switch;   //Reverse the switch    if (switch)  // That is, if switch == TRUE    {        llSetTimerEvent(1.0);    }    else    //That is, if switch == FALSE    {        llSetTimerEvent(0.0);    }}

ETA:  I should explain why a timer is the wiser choice here.   Your do loop is loaded with llSleep pauses.  That function quite literally puts your script to sleep until the designated period is over.  During that pause, the script will not respond to anything ..... including your touch.  Given the length of your sleep periods compared to the timy amount of time it's executing the SLPPF commands, that's most of the time.  You've essentially made your script inactive most of the time.  A timer, on the other hand, just keeps ticking away, doing things only when it hits its target time.  Until then, you can interrupt the script to do amything else you want .... like pay attention to the user touching to make it stop.

• Like 1

Rolig Loon wrote:

ETA:  I should explain why a timer is the wiser choice here.   Your do loop is loaded with
llSleep
pauses.  That function quite literally puts your script to sleep until the designated period is over.  During that pause, the script will not respond to anything ..... including your touch.  Given the length of your sleep periods compared to the timy amount of time it's executing the SLPPF commands, that's most of the time.  You've essentially made your script inactive most of the time.  A timer, on the other hand, just keeps ticking away, doing things only when it hits its target time.  Until then, you can interrupt the script to do amything else you want .... like pay attention to the user touching to make it stop.

You're correct that a timer is the way to go but not for the reason you gave. It's not the sleep periods, it's the fact that (using a comparison test instead of the assignment the OP is using, which results in FALSE and was stopping the loop to the begin with, as Ackley Bing pointed out) one has an infinite loop. A loop that has no way to terminate.

Events cannot interrupt events, in other words. An event initiates an action, possibly a loop, and all other events are queued until that event is finished. So, another touch event would not be able to change the switch variable and the loop as written would go on repeating forever.

Breaking the steps into timer events enables the touch event to trigger where it can change the switch variable and stop the loop. I hope that makes sense but that is how it works.

I do not do mine that way i use a for loop as function then that called by the state. But maybt that not the correct way. I only even done LSL.

Sorry the FOR was for something else, but the loop is valid. 

ADDED: Think i got the wrong end off the stick on this question. Actualy forget this, i put it up so may as well accept the feed back. Note to self, read question before answering.

state transit_loop{	state_entry()	{		llListen(comms_chan,"",NULL_KEY,"1,transit");		llSetTimerEvent(timer_event);	}	timer()	{		Transit();	}	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)	{		//ownerid = llGetOwner();		if ((channel == comms_chan) && (message == "1,transit"))		{			llSetTimerEvent(0.0);			state landing;		}	}	state_exit()	{		llListenRemove(comms_chan);	}}

steph Arnott wrote:

Just to point out, the 0.25 ETC delay. it is very unlikly to be that accurate.

Not sure what you are basing that statement on, Steph.

Though one out of four intervals would be 1/45th of a second longer on an active sim, that's accurate enough for most if not all applications.

Keeping in mind a lot of references may be out of date since the introduction of Mono, one can always measure these things to determine if the variations are within their limits:

float startTime;float spotTime;float runTime;integer counter;float time() {    string stamp = llGetTimestamp(); // "YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.ff..fZ"    return (integer) llGetSubString(stamp, 11, 12) * 3600000 + // hh             (integer) llGetSubString(stamp, 14, 15) * 60000 +  // mm             ((float)llGetSubString(stamp, 17, -2) * 1000000)/1000; // ss.ff..f}default {    state_entry() {        llSetTimerEvent(0.25);        spotTime = startTime = time();    }      timer() {       float endTime = time();       llOwnerSay((string)((endTime-spotTime)));              if(++counter == 100){            llSetTimerEvent(0.0);            llOwnerSay("Average: " + (string)((endTime - startTime)/100.0));        } else {            spotTime = endTime;        }               }}

Using a timer of 0.3 reveals an unexpectedly interesting pattern btw...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.