Logic behind new SL Marketplace navigation structure?

Revenant Underby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.  Not a merchant but I was advised to ask this here.

The SL Marketplace Navigation was changed to move "Avatar Components" out from underneath "Avatar Appearance" to the top level.

What was the logic behind that?  The stuff under Avatar Components (Shape, skins, eyes) are all a subset of Avatar Appearance.  If you don't put skins and shapes under Avatar Appearance, then what actually is supposed to go in that category?

At the moment it seems like it's mostly being used for skins and shapes, and complete avatars - each of which also have their own category elsewhere.

I understand this was done on the basis of feedback from merchants, so can someone please explain to me the logic behind the new structure?

Thanks.

Hi.  Not a merchant but I was advised to ask this here.

The SL Marketplace Navigation was changed to move "Avatar Components" out from underneath "Avatar Appearance" to the top level.

What was the logic behind that?  The stuff under Avatar Components (Shape, skins, eyes) are all a subset of Avatar Appearance.  If you don't put skins and shapes under Avatar Appearance, then what actually is supposed to go in that category?

At the moment it seems like it's mostly being used for skins and shapes, and complete avatars - each of which also have their own category elsewhere.

I understand this was done on the basis of feedback from merchants, so can someone please explain to me the logic behind the new structure?

Thanks.

Revenant Underby wrote:

Magnet Homewood wrote:

No logic. You're welcome
:)

LoL, thanks.
xD

But seriously, they ran it past the merchants, right?  There's SOME reason they did it?

Seriously, don't make the mistake of thinking that merchants were actually consulted.  "Feedback from merchants" could be as little or as much as a survey asking "do you want more categories?".  Merchants are not consulted on each aspect of the marketplace changes.  Just as there was no requirement for a Facebook "like" button but in the face of ALL the criticism at the time from merchants desperately asking for things like "email notification when a review is left" (trivial to do), merchants got the unwanted Facebook button instead.

Merchants asked for the delay of Marketplace to be removed in the early european hours, something that was highly predictable and pointed to a batch job running or similar.

LL never commented on this at all but instead spent a year "inventing" direct delivery as a side step around a different problem and only recently closed the "early morning performance" JIRA as "unable to reproduce".

There are many things that LL does, consulting with their user base is not one of them.

In this thread (before they directed me here) someone pointed me to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Marketplace/2012_Category_Changes#Avatar_Appearance on the wiki.

That page has feedback links set up which point to a (now defunct) surveymonkey survey so it looks like an attempt was made to seek community feedback.  Did they just not communicate that it was there?

Revenant Underby wrote:

In
thread (before they directed me here) someone pointed me to 
 on the wiki.

That page has feedback links set up which point to a (now defunct) surveymonkey survey so it looks like an attempt was made to seek community feedback.  Did they just not communicate that it was there?

They neither consult, nor listen. That's really the best answer. Who they consult, assuming they ever actually did/do, or rather when, though that's not fiting either, could potentially make a difference too.

And no, they don't make ANY of their communication widely known. They haven't for a very, very long time.

Don't take their word as them actually being truthful when they say "we asked, you answered, we listened". It's not truthful in the least.

Even the "new feature" of "fixing" things so we get emails when an order is made on MP still doesn't work properly. That was, or should have been, an easy fix.

Basically, they suck at communication period.

Revenant Underby wrote:

In
thread (before they directed me here) someone pointed me to 
 on the wiki.

As Tari said, LL doesn't seek any input from its residents/merchants these days, at least not that I'm aware of.  When I first began in 2007 on the old forums, once in awhile there would be a post from a Linden asking what features we would like to see or suggesting abc and what did we think of it.  Invariably if the residents responded that abc was a great idea, LL would instead institute xyz and vice versa.  There used to be threads saying we residents should start using reverse psychology with LL since no matter what the residents asked for, we got the opposite.  (Generally speaking - I'm sure there were some exceptions.)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

As i said in the other thread which i will post here.

Hair, genitalia, and wings are under accessories.. They should be under components. Make-up and tattoos are under components but should be in accessories.. Hats, gloves and scarves are under accessories, shouldn't that be under clothing?

Well they did have the sense to move 'neckties.

"Move “Neckties” from “Avatar Accessories” to “Men’s (apparel)”

The question would be, where do "women's neckties" go?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.