Strange green color fog in my SL house

KovanS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I am new in SL so be gentle on me if I post my question in the wrong forum.

Recently I there a strange green fog in my house. Tried to click edit to find out what it is but I am not able to click on it. It wasnt there when I last log in and I have not install any object in my house recently either.

Hope any kind soul can help me. It is very frustrating to see my home ruin. Would appreciate anyone can help and tell me how to get rid of it.

I had made screenshots in the link below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tw3i90m17qtlcck

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxco0iasm27a245

There is a prim in your house generating particles that look like fog.  It will be difficult to touch it to return it since it is invisible. There are two ways you can do this however

The easiest thing to do is go into your land tools and look at the prims rezzed there and who owns them.  You can do that under the land tools Objects tab.  You may need to hit the refresh button before it generates the list.  If you see something owed by someone other than yourself or someone you gave rights to, click it on the list and select return.  That should get rid of it.

If this doesn't work, go into your preferences and graphics and reduce the number of particles to zero.  Then turn on Highlight Transparent.  Look in the area where the particles were for an invisible prim and return it.

To avoid this kind of thing happening again under the objects tab uncheck allowing everyone to build and rezz objects and also object entry.  If you must leave these on for some reason turn on the auto return so that anything rezzed by someone besides yourself or your group (if land is group owned or set to group) will have their objects returned.  You can set the time to allow things to remain before they are returned.

There's a relatively effective way to locate the source of particles, regardless of its owner: go to the viewer's 'World' menu, and navigate to the submenu 'Show''Beacons'. A panel will open showing you several options to highlight objects by their nature: choose 'Particle sources' and then use the beacon indicators to start navigating with your camera until you locate the source of that particular green fog.

Note: it's possible that the object generating it may be invisible; you can work around that by toggling transparencies on (with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + T); it's also possible that the object may be extremely small, especially if it was purposely designed for griefing... if that's the case, you may have to zoom in very carefully, even with transparencies toggled on and the beacons to guide you, before you can actually see it.

Once finally located, right-click on it to examine it and see its owner; if it's you, you can surely delete it. If not, you'll nevertheless be able to return it as long as it's still within your parcel's limit... otherwise you may have to speak to its owner to ask him/her to remove it.

Incidentally, recent Linden viewers include the ability to "Block particle owner" by right-clicking directly on the particle itself.

I tried this in the current 3.6.3 (279564) release and it behaves differently from how I'd expected -- it feels weird even aiming a click at a particle -- but  the option appears and it does seem to work.

Hi Kovan; welcome to Second Life.

What people mean by 'highlight transparent' and the rest is that when you hold down the CTRL and T keys, things you normally can't see will be highilghted in a semi transparent red color.

Then, look on the floor, because there is probably a tiny prim there, it will probably be a teeny tiny red box, if you are in CTRL T mode. 

Once you find it, underneath the fog, just right click on the little prim and choose 'take.'

Once it is in your inventory you can delete it. 

You probably put something there and forgot it, or thought it was invisible at the time because the prim was transparent. It was probably something meant to be worn. Maybe you rezzed it (put it on the ground) to see what it was, then thought nothing was there and forgot about it. Then in time for some reason it began fogging the room.

But in case someone else put it there - you might want to make sure you have object return on. If you have build on and object return off then anyone can put anything on your land and it stays there. 

Before you do this, make sure every single thing you want on your land has the same name or group name as object owner and land owner. Those two things must have the same name or group name.

Then, type in a number like 10 in the Object tab, in your land, as well as unchecking where it says anyone can build, which I think is in the Options tab in your land.

To get to the tabs in your land, click the land name on top of your viewer, or right click the ground on your land.

Make sense? Any questions?

Don't worry your home isn't permanently ruined.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.