LL should write all the code

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

With SL writing all the code, this seems to me to be one step closer to turning SL into a glorified MMO....

....which is probably what Rod wants.

I'd be totally against it.

I know lots of people talk about this, "Rod is going to turn SL into a game", but I just don't understand what all the hysteria is. People act as if better games in SL some how takes away from the SL we all know and love. I don't see how it does. It's still SL but with better games. Who wouldn't want that? Obviously some don't, but I have yet to hear an actually reason that isn't based on nostalgia.

because a lot of us have no interest in first person shooters, and think any effort put into turning SL into one (which you obviously seem intent on) is going to waste our experience at worst and at best prevent effort being put into things that could benefit us.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Czari Zenovka wrote:

My point is that you asked for people's opinions on an idea you have and you have received responses.  My suggestion at this point would be to take the route that Toysoldier did with the idea for landmarks that moved with an avatar, thus not having to send out new lm's each time one's business moved to a new location.  He first asked for opinions in the Merchant Forums (which you have done here with your idea), then contacted someone in LL who heads up the particular division - in that case I think it was the Viewer group.  He then went to a public "office hours" and presented his idea.  From the transcripts I read, several Linden employees thought it was viable.  In the meantime, Darrius developed just such a system that he currently sells.  Whether LL will one day decide to implement the idea within their viewer (which was the original proposal) remains to be seen.

Yeah, their idea was a good 1 and it is great to see they could move the project along. I have no intention of doing anything beyond throwing the idea out there. It's a thought. I put it out into the ether. What happens now is irrevelant. I've made my case for the concept as fully as I could. My goal is achieved. I have no other expectations.

Because LL doesn't bother to check with the people who ultimately pay them to see what features they want in this area, thus we end up with things like Pathfinding.  I've yet to encounter any sim actually using it. It was certainly not worth the manpower or the inconvenience of breaking a number of thngs on the grid for a long time just to get it installed. Getting it working on an already built up established sim is so onerous that nobody wanted to do it so it sits there mostly unused.

How about allowing for better support of analog control devices for vehicles and such? That's something quite a few would actually enjoy and would have supported inworld gaming far more than that stupid pathfinding did. Rod seems to have this idea that he knows how to implement gaming features, but so far I'm pretty unimpressed with what he's done in that area.

Czari Zenovka wrote: People act as if better games in SL some how takes away from the SL we all know and love. I don't see how it does. It's still SL but with better games. Who wouldn't want that? Obviously some don't, but I have yet to hear an actually reason that isn't based on nostalgia.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.