i made my skybox on 4000M high , and i can see that people's cameras watch me how can i prevent it?

needyou22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello ,  i made a sky box on 4000 meter high on the sky , and i can see the cross of people camera watch me from 4000m distance !!

1st question : plz how can i prevent it and have some privacy ?

2nd question : how the hell they can spy and move them cameras for more than the maximum draw distance ( 1024 ) , and move them camera for more than 4000 meter , how they do that ?

Thank you :)

7 answers to this question

From that distance, ANYONE looking up will seem to be looking at you.  :smileylol:

That crosshair is only a very rough indicator of what someone might be looking at, so don't ever take it seriously, especially not from 4000m away.  For your own peace of mind, the best solution is to disable the LookAtMe option.  That's what I do. 

The more general answer is that there is no such thing as 100% privacy in SL unless you buy yourself a private estate surrounded by water and prevent everyone from teleporting in.   You can set About Land >>> Options to disable Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel, however.  When you do that, your green dot will still show up on the Map and MiniMap view, but people won't be able to see you unless they are in your parcel --- even if they are standing just 1m away and on the other side of the parcel boundary.

• Like 2

The View Cross-Hair feature offered by Firestorm is useless IMHO.

Turn the feature off and just start enjoying your SecondLife.

If you wish you can always do uncheck the [  ] Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel option found on this dialog page: World / About Land / Option tab

Rolig and KarenMichelle are giving you good advice.  I'll add another bit...

Ask yourself why you are concerned about people "looking at you" so much that you need that "crosshairs" feature turned on.  Why should you care?  Most people spend a lot of time making their avatars look attractive...why then should you be concerned when you succeed, and people want to look at you?

OK, maybe you are worried about voyeurs.  Again, why should you be?  You have a made-up name and a made-up appearance.  You are pixels on a monitor screen.  Even if you're naked and having some fun in bed with your partner...why should you care if someone is watching?  They aren't looking at YOU, they're watching a cartoon that you've invented.

Or maybe you are concerned about a stalker.  That can be annoying, all right.  But the correct response to a stalker is eject, ban, and mute them.  Yes, they can still see you.  But since you can't hear anything they might have to say to you, you can easily pretend they don't exist.  And you can use the privacy feature to keep them from seeing you when you are on your land and they are not.

Second Life is designed to be a form of social media.  It's set up to make communication of all sorts -- visual, audible, and text -- easy.  It's not designed for privacy.  If you insist on privacy, you must either spend a lot of money (buy your own private region and only admit your friends), or use a different platform, such as OpenSim, where you can create your own private little virtual world.

• Like 3

yes i think everyone has done a wonderful job explaining..i read so many moronic complaints like this it really heats me up,as said you are playing a social media game,unless you have your RL photo with your phone# and address on there i really wouldnt complain,,PLUS telll us this,,can you honestly say you havent sat and watched a little something getting your jollys on?as said unless you wanna go buy yourself a full sim and have so not one soul could TP onto it,,which we know hell id rather buy a real house for that matter...lord all mighty..WAAHHH WAHHH mommy someones looking at me~ ,,WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON A SOCIAL MEDIA GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!!...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.