Need help, please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.

I been away about 2 years after having been in sl for about 3 years before that.

I've returned, but now I seem to have a problem with the dance balls. I've been to several popular and even empty clubs and when I click on a dance ball with a partner, all I do is stand there.

If I click on a sofa or chair, the animation which says, "Sit" lights up. But although I don't recall if there's one for the dance balls, I right click on dance balls and again, nothing happens

I've turned off my AO as I still remembered you have to do this but nothing. I've tried it with both the Firestorm viewer as well as the Second Life viewer, which I currently have on and still the same thing occurs. I thought maybe it was the viewer so I switched but I same problem still.

It's ruining my evenings as I can't enjoy the music dancing with someone I've recently met.

I appreciate any help with this, please!!!

I checked the preferences but I don't see anything related to this on there.

Hello Carlos!

A lot of times you will get a pop up in the top right hand corner of your screen asking you to allow the object you are trying to use to animate your avatar.  If you miss the pop up, you'll see a box icon on the top right hand corner of your screen.  If you click it it will give you a yes or no option.  Click yes, and your avatar should start doing the animations!  If this isn't the issue, I apologize.  I can't think of anything else that would be keeping you from using the objects!

Probably you aren't aware of the AO's in attachments, shoes or the viewer-AO you are using maybe.

You need to give permissions to an object to animate you but you didn't post if you got that request or not. Those fancy little chat icons and toasts are not all to ignore. Get used to the viewer functionality.

I see you right click on danceballs. Thats not how they work. You don't sit on a danceball. Left click, confirm the animation request and (most time) choose something from the menu.
A couple danceball rezzes poseballs next to you. Thats ones you need to sit on. Again you need to confirm the animation request.

Aside from what's been said, is it possible you have been clicking on a pose ball that is meant to be part of a couples or group dance? If so then those might not work until others have hopped onto the other pose balls with you. 

Some places have blue and pink pose balls around the dance floor but those are usually for couples. Those usually take two avatars before they will function. Some places do that because it's much much cheaper (sometimes, even free) to rez one of those, than to buy the entire dance system.

Melita Magic wrote:

Aside from what's been said, is it possible you have been clicking on a pose ball that is meant to be part of a couples or group dance? If so then those might not work until others have hopped onto the other pose balls with you. 

Some places have blue and pink pose balls around the dance floor but those are usually for couples. Those usually take two avatars before they will function. Some places do that because it's much much cheaper (sometimes, even free) to rez one of those, than to buy the entire dance system.

It depends on what type of poseballs.  If one clicks and stands on the original dance poseballs that are placed around the floor in sets (blue & pink), then the person will just stand in the beginning pose of the specific dance.  However, if one uses an Intan to "call" for dance poseballs, then if one person uses that poseball they will do what I call "The Silly Solo Dance" until and unless someone utilizes the second poseball.

This question takes me back to my first days in SL.  I was the first of my IRC group to come to SL and check it out, followed shortly by a man in the group.  Interestingly it was a man who I always thought didn't like me and later came to find out it was just him taking that position as part of the rp, but at any rate...

...so he and I came upon a small dance club with only one other couple there, apparently celebrating their recent engagement based on local chat.  We see the couple dancing, then the dance balls scattered around the floor and decided to try them out.  Unfortunately the dance balls we chose were broken (that happened occasionally with the old style dance balls and they had to be resynched); not realizing that, we were frustrated that we couldn't get them to work.  The man then "deduced" that we apparently had to each click on our respective pose ball at exactly the same time for them to work and proceeded to count in IM...1, 2, 3...

Of course that didn't work....LOL.  The other couple came to our rescue, realized that the set of dance balls we were attempting to use were broken and explained how to access another set.  After we began dancing the woman IM'd me to ask if that was my boyfriend.  I said, "No, we don't even like each other."  I can just imagine the IM's between her and her partner at that point...lol.

Hey ,guys,

Thanks for all your responses.

I've tried both the pink and blue balls you call in dance clubs. Intans I believe the name is where they come to where you're standing. I've done this with a female and she began to dance but I didn't. I waited a while as I know at times it takes a bit to get started but I never started to dance.

I also used the blue and pink balls that are already on the floor and again, no response. I let her call the balls then I called them. I hopped on them first, then the next time she did and nothing.

I just returned to this game and already I'm sort of frustrated with this issue. I'm ditching the sl viewer and trying the Firestorm one again. 

I don't recall what viewer I had since it's been such a long time ago. Unfortunately, I had to reinstall windows and everything was deleted including the viewer I used to have. 

Again, I thank you all for your help.

Nova,

I was trying every which way to see if one of them would let me dance. There is no option given to me when I click on a dance ball unlike when you try to sit on a chair or sofa. 

I left clicked, then I right clicked it and nothing. It also never asked me to give permission to use it, either. I'm trying to find a place where i can take out my own dance balls to see if I can use them like this.

Thank so much

I just installed the Firestrom viewer.

Now on the media preferences it has a few things which I don't have clicked and I'd like to know if maybe one of these has something to do with my problem.

1.  Play media attached to other avatars.

2. Allow in-world scripts to play media.

Hopefully it's one of these I need to check on.

Thanks again

Carlos Cameron wrote:

Hey ,guys,

Thanks for all your responses.

I've tried both the pink and blue balls you call in dance clubs. Intans I believe the name is where they come to where you're standing. I've done this with a female and she began to dance but I didn't. I waited a while as I know at times it takes a bit to get started but I never started to dance.

I also used the blue and pink balls that are already on the floor and again, no response. I let her call the balls then I called them. I hopped on them first, then the next time she did and nothing.

I just returned to this game and already I'm sort of frustrated with this issue. I'm ditching the sl viewer and trying the Firestorm one again. 

I don't recall what viewer I had since it's been such a long time ago. Unfortunately, I had to reinstall windows and everything was deleted including the viewer I used to have. That one I liked a lot. These viewers now don't seem as smooth as back then.

Again, I thank you all for your help.

Something is going on but I'm not sure what.  If your dance partner began dancing when she was on the pink intan ball and you were on it -correctly- then you should have been dancing as well.  With Intan dance balls, after you click on one and are one it, you will get a drop-down menu in the upper right of your UI; at least with all the viewers I've used.  I have never used the official SL viewer and if you are coming back after time away, you probably didn't use the current one.  I personally don't like it and prefer viewers that have more of a version 1 look to them.

There are a lot to try but the three I would recommend at this point is my current personal favorite:

Singularity

Another viewer with an old-school look is:

CoolVL Viewer

If you have used the Firestorm viewer in the past, it is very possible that somehow you're missing the drop-down request to animate your avatar due to the SL viewer's different look.  If you like the v1 UI interface, a short video to show how to do that with Firestorm can be found

Carlos Cameron wrote:

I just installed the Firestrom viewer.

Now on the media preferences it has a few things which I don't have clicked and I'd like to know if maybe one of these has something to do with my problem.

1.  Play media attached to other avatars.

2. Allow in-world scripts to play media.

Hopefully it's one of these I need to check on.

Thanks again

Neither of those settings have anything to do with pose balls or sitting on furniture, afaik, although I've never seen #1 on the viewers I've used.  I'm trying to think what "media attached to other avatars" means.

I recall the drop down blue menu-like that used to drop down whenever you and your partner used the itans dance balls. It would give you an option for the different dances it had. I didn't get this when on these particular balls.

Thnk you for your time.

I am so frustrated right now.

Carlos, in Firestorm, depending of the skin you are using, the requesting animation can come in a black window, top-right or bottom-right, that soon disappear, but a chiclet remains (icon of an envelope, with a number), click the chiclet and the request comes again.

Solution was:

For some reason and this is crazy being I tried to use dance balls in several places, the option that drops down from the Itan dance balls had not been dropping down. The last place I went to finally had a drop-down which I then clicked and problem solved.

Maybe it was the places I had went to or maybe it had something to do with my alt but it finally came together for me.

Thank You all once again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.