Outside SL scripting

dalocogamer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I havn't the slightest clue how to begin to search for this. So I am posting any ways. If you know where please share. I am looking to program a script with a program outside of SL. At times I feel like scripting immediatly and dont want to wait. Is there a program outside of SL that you can write and test to find errors before loading in SL?

Yeah.

The two I would recommend are LSLEditor  or the LSLForge plugin for Eclipse.   They will both let you check your code to see if it should compile in SL.

Of the two, I think LSLEditor is probably the best to start with, unless you have something very ambitious planned.   I am open to correction here, but I can't really see why I would need to use LSLForge, rather than LSLEditor, unless it was because I was part of a large, collaborative project.    It's very good, but it seems to me a bit like overkill for most of the stuff I do.

These conversations come around fairly often and are always worth the update.  To my mind at least it's good to know what 'best practice' is amongst everyone.  FWIW I use the Eclipse plugin because I use Eclipse for developing in other languages and, for instance, if I'm working on a system with an LSL front-end and a PHP/Python back-end it's nice to have them within the same IDE.

Horses for courses - a lot of what you want to use for LSL will depend on your other programming experience and tools.  LSL Editor is probably the neatest if starting from scratch.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.