Restaurant info?

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This probably isn't the right forum to put this but I'm actually not sure where to put it.

I'm looking for info on how restaurants in second life work. Are they still active? Do you pay and , if yes, how much? Does anyone know what kind of price range I shuld expect for something like a café and something like a full course meal?

I was thinking of trying out eating sushi in SL but I'm also not sure about etiquette. (in terms of SL restaurants in general)

Could anyone help me?

You will find very few restaurants in SL.  Most are just there to add ambiance to a venue such as a ballroom club,m and if they give food at all it's free.  Typically you sit at a table that rezzes the pixel food.  Most have a blue drop down menu that you can choose from.  You access the menu by touching a place mat or the table itself if there is no place mat. There may be a few around that charge but they are basically roleplay restaurants and you are paying for the roleplay 'service'.

Since you don't need and can't eat pixel food restaurants have never caught on or have been popular in SL.  Most food that is sold is used as props for private parties or for 'meals' in a dining room at a home or as part of a grill and/or picnic table..

There aren't any restaurants in SL like in RL. Restaurants aren't a business here, because there is no need to eat. All restaurants are decoration or at best belong to a roleplaysim to offer a place where roleplayers can play together (but you will find more bars and inns than modern restaurants).

Actually we just opened up a restaurant called Sunset Harbor and we do full course meals. 

It's 110L per Adult and 75L for kids. We also have weekly events and will cater to those who need it. 

We do Parties, Anniversaries, Wedding Receptions, and more.... 

We try to make it as realistic as possible so there are Waitresses and host that will seat and serve. Sushi is on our menu as well as many more. 

Location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pleasant%20Harbor/185/146/24

Syo Emerald wrote:

There aren't any restaurants in SL like in RL. Restaurants aren't a business here, because there is no need to eat. All restaurants are decoration or at best belong to a roleplaysim to offer a place where roleplayers can play together (but you will find more bars and inns than modern restaurants).

Actually there are.  My former partner took me to a lovely one on two different occasions called The Arbor.  Not sure if it is still operating but, if so, I HIGHLY recommend it.

The Arbor had a variety of different themed rooms, which were likely skyboxes, from which to choose.  The first time I went we were in "The Cave" (or something similar).  The ambiance was like being outside near a waterfall.  The restaurant is formal and each element of the dining experience was amazing.

Anniversary Dinner - The Arbors 08152008.jpg

(This is 2008 for those wondering about the "retro" build.)

The landing point was set up like where one would arrive at an elegant restaurant. (My partner made reservations.)  The hostess asked us to follow her and took us to our private area.  We were given a drink menu, ordered drinks, then the hostess left to get our drinks and returned a few minutes later.  We were then given an appetizer menu; later the main course menu; and the desert menu.  The hostess would check in on us periodically and we also had a paging button if we needed something.  The menus themselves were lovely - I think I have photos of them stored in world.  In talking with the hostess/owner, the menu changed seasonly.

A very nice touch was the restaurant giving a gift box to me.  Inside were duplicates of our wine glasses, a teddy bear...a few other things I can't remember now, but very nice.

My second visit to The Arbor was in their Japanese-themed area.  We were dressed in theme as well:

Dinner at The Arbor 12-23-09.JPG

I absolutely loved this place and the "realism" of fine dining, complete with hostess/waitress/menus, etc. was fantastic!  I have no idea of the prices since my partner took care of that, but I do know it was definitely most reasonable for the experience.

Hey there Spinell! :D

There are in fact a few restaurants around in SL and prices differ just like IRL. Some charge for different types of food/meals and you have restaurants (like the one I work for) which y ou arecharged on where you are seated such as different scenic dining areas (dock, gazebo, mainroom, etc.). If you would like to come and visit for a look-see, Just search "The Pixel Pot" in places and it should pop up and we'll answer any questions you have and of course we'll take you and a friend if you want to dine as well!

Have a good one! ^_^

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Actually there are.  My former partner took me to a lovely one on two different occasions called The Arbor.  Not sure if it is still operating but, if so, I HIGHLY recommend it.

The Arbor is very much still alive and well. It's, in fact, under new management. Having been there in the past, I recently got a NC from them, prices and whatnot. They offer some nice packages from what I see.

Restaurants are alive and well in sl. Although there isn't nearly as many of them as one might expect, they haven't all gone away. They aren't necessarily the most money making business in sl, but I am sure some of them do alright, at least. There actually IS a lot more interest in that kind of thing than some people think. The reason some of them don't do as well isn't because people don't want that kind of thing. It's because the owners of them simply do a very poor job of marketing and advertising.

Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions and replyd guys!

I have come across in the search with quite a lot of SL restaurants, so I don't think that's rare. And I've heard of people taking their dates to a nice dinner to chat through the night. But I had always been skittish to try it myself.

Both Pixel and Arbor look amazing, thank you for the suggestions. Any word on Cafés? Are they also just for roleplay or are there businesess?

The PP is also a cafe but I understand how you feel, you want something like a coffee house correct? I too have had some trouble finding some but the one I recommend is the Pixel Bean but idk if it's still operating. Tell me if you find something like tht, it sounds fun!

ImaTest wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

The Arbor is very much still alive and well. It's, in fact, under new management. Having been there in the past, I recently got a NC from them, prices and whatnot. They offer some nice packages from what I see.

Restaurants are alive and well in sl. Although there isn't nearly as many of them as one might expect, they haven't all gone away. They aren't necessarily the most money making business in sl, but I am sure some of them do alright, at least. There actually IS a lot more interest in that kind of thing than some people think. The reason some of them don't do as well isn't because people don't want that kind of thing. It's because the owners of them simply do a very poor job of marketing and advertising.

I'm glad to hear that about The Arbors.  Now I just need a gentleman to suggest dinner there.

*Looks about*

Tex Monday wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm glad to hear that about The Arbors.  Now I just need a gentleman to suggest dinner there.

*Looks about*

I can suggest it...but I'm no gentleman....

:matte-motes-wink:

You seem quite gentlemanly in your forum responses.  At any rate I would definitely make an exception for you, Tex. ;)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Tex Monday wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

*Looks about*

I can suggest it...but I'm no gentleman....

:matte-motes-wink:

You seem quite gentlemanly in your forum responses.  At any rate I would definitely make an exception for you, Tex.
;)

Shhhhhh!! You'll wreck my street 'cred, yo!! :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.