Did Max Draw Distance change?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For years, I've thought that the maximum draw distance to see other avatars was around 600 metres, so I always took care to build my "private spaces" at least that distance from the nearest structure.  Recently I've discovered that draw distance for perv-camming extends to at least 3000 metres. Is this a recent change, or have I just been confused all these years?

As far as I know the max draw distance hasn't changed, it's still around 512. But, if someone has disabled camera constraints in the viewer's advanced menu or advanced preferences, they're able to see much farther. I don't know what the upper limit is but I know that it's easily possible to view objects on another sim this way.

If you own the parcel where your private spaces are located at, you can set it so that avatars outside the parcel can't see those inside it, regardless of the distance: they'll still be able to see rezzed objects, but not the avatars (nor their worn objects), which still lends you some measure of privacy. And they could see you again if they enter into your parcel, but then again, you can make it private access (ban lines) if your landlord permits so.

Yes there have been some changes. Draw distance is only a part of the system. In addition, the server decides what it will and will not tell your viewer. This part, that LL calls the interest list, received some major rewirk this year. The set of objects and avatars you can see with a given draw distance setting did go through some significant changes.

There is another quirk, and that is in the "show look at" camera hints. These can be pointed at anything, but they are not an indication that a viewer can actually display what the crosshairs are pointed at. (They also don't really tell you if that is what a person is really looking at.)

Lately the draw distance has not your avatar in the center anymore but your camera.

So move your camera 4000m away and you can look around in the range of your draw distance. If someone using this or that viewer cant see that - not my problem - I can. :) But it's viewer independant. (didn't test all though)

Of course that means you dont need to build a skybox for privacy. It doesnt matter if you are on the ground or under the "ceiling" of the sim. So for privacy - switch off avatar visibility and guard your parcel or get an own sim or decide to not care. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.