Happy 10th Birthday to SLers past and present

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

I left a message on your feed profile, but reading this thread makes me realise that you won't have a clue what I am talking about.  No, it's nothing to do with mesh. I'm outing my favourite-named inworld alt - since LL hasn't got around to banning it yet - especially to wish you the best with your RL activities and to recommend that you get out of this place as soon as possible.

Awe ... what a sweetie!

Is this whole message an anagram? Going to need several sets of Scrabble tiles to work this one out.

You guessed!

Awe . . . aka Yipp Resident

Pamela Galli wrote:

Our beloved SLX / Xstreet forum was closed 9 - 9 - 09, well before the LL one was, Czari. Not many of us left now. For merchants it was a great places -- I learned everything I knew from those forumites.

I still feel orphaned and wish everyone would come back.

Well, not everyone.

Ah thanks, Pamela. :matte-motes-smile:  For some reason I never went to the Xstreet forum, although once my friend mentioned it I recall having at least seen the area.  I stayed on the LL forums so my confusion was where all these "new" people were coming from that were not new at all as far as time in SL.  I have found that generally, people who enjoy forums will find forums connected to whatever activity in which they are engaged, thus again wondering who are these people and how come I never saw them on the old forums.

Of course, they were likely thinking, "Who is Czari and why didn't we ever see her on the Xstreet forums?" :smileyvery-happy:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ah-HA!  I knew there were others out there.  I spent a little time on a local BBS run by a friend of mine but after finding IRC I stayed with the occasional foray into AOL, Prodigy, and Yahoo chat rooms.

I was surprised when I moved from those early systems into the wild and wooly Internet in '93. My local BBS was a hug fest because we all knew each other from computer club gatherings. I was the Belle of the Ball as one of the few women to attend, and at the tender age of 14. It's amazing how quickly you collect fathers as a young lady in the computer world. I still see a few of the silver foxes around ;-)

My first encounter with asshats was on UseNet's sci.astro.amateur, where people trotted out all manner of conspiracy theories and alternative laws of physics involving large dollops of faith (Lucinda has nothing on those folks). I was married and in my 20s by then, so a bit better prepared to handle grief (and maybe deliver it?). But I also had stimulating conversations on many subjects and recall being complimented by science writer Timothy Ferris as being "lucid and poetic". I thought that an oxymoron at the time, proving that "lucid" was probably an exaggeration.

Ah, brings back memories. :matte-motes-smile:  This is so true:

I was the Belle of the Ball as one of the few women to attend, and at the tender age of 14. It's amazing how quickly you collect fathers as a young lady in the computer world.

I'm a *ahem* "bit" older than you so I'd been married awhile when the IBM PC hit the market, followed by the clones, but was still "young."  I attended a local PC user's group.  The vast majority of the members were retired men...and me.

One time my husband came with me to one of the meetings where some new software was being introduced.  Halfway during the presentation my husband leaned over and whispered, "Do you actually understand what they're saying?"  lol   As we were driving home my husband said, "Wow!  I didn't realize how good looking I am."  (You had to know him and his sarcastic put-down "wit" to get the full "humor" of this comment.  I will note here he is now known as my "former husband.")

I found the same thing when I first joined IRC, back in the 80's-early 90's there were a lot more men represented.  This followed into the first MMORPGs I played, but after Windows came out, then the "average woman" (as opposed to us Geekettes) joined in.

Good times!

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

I left a message on your feed profile, but reading this thread makes me realise that you won't have a clue what I am talking about.  No, it's nothing to do with mesh. I'm outing my favourite-named inworld alt - since LL hasn't got around to banning it yet - especially to wish you the best with your RL activities and to recommend that you get out of this place as soon as possible.

Awe ... what a sweetie!

Is this whole message an anagram? Going to need several sets of Scrabble tiles to work this one out.

*Spews Coke on the monitor*

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the type of wit that many of us enjoyed from the One & Only - Carole!!

Unfortunately it was the entire Chalet itself, not the box.  Back then I would have fit right in with all the other newbie "Boxheads" but Noooooo, I managed to stick an entire house on my head.

As best as I can recall, I had just completed that first Orientation Island area to which, once left, one could never return.  Kind of the flip side of "Hotel California."  I used to ponder if OI only existed when newbies showed up and then faded back into the mists like Brigadoon.

So anyway, next stop after OI was the sim with all the freebies. (This whole process has been "tweaked" over the years, multiple times; I understand the current experience for new avatars is less than optimal.)  I was clicking my way through everything and had apparently learned enough at this point to know to unpack boxes.  I apparently unpacked the Chalet and tried to rez it (not understanding the finer points of land permissions) with the ultimate result of it attaching to my head.

The person who told me about SL contacted me and invited me to visit his home sim.  One of those sims that starts with G and ends with R.  I thought wherever I landed I would just be in the company of this gentleman who I could then ask how to get this house off my head.  To my total mortification and chagrin, I ended up at the "Greeting Point" of the sim; my contact was there, but so were a bunch of other people in full rp attire.  One of the men addressed me:

"M'Lady, you are wearing unusual headwear; is that the custom in your lands?"

Looking back, that was a great comment, but I was feeling more stupid by the minute.  Fortunately I was then advised how to remove my hat, errrr...house. ;)

I read your post the other evening but didn't have time to answer. Then when I popped in last night, I got distracted by the objectification thread. Have to tell you - couldn't stop giggling at the idea of you with a whole house stuck on your head. Kudos to the Gorean chappy's retort too. Dead funny.

Czari's post reminded me of one on the previous Jive forum (I think). I cannot find it so I am obviously remembering it incorrrectly but it did exist. I remember it as "The Night I Became Cabin Man". The story went something like this:

Someone (who knew better) accidentally rezzed a cabin on his right hand. Once he stopped laughing he kind of liked the look, and proceeded to attach cabins to every available part of his avatar, then strode noisily onto the grid to wreak havoc. It was very funny. He wrote about striding along a racetrack stomping cars. Fascinated noobs perched on his shoulders. I wish I could find it.

Yes! Wow, thank your for finding that. I can't believe I actually remembered that he rezzed the first cabin on his right hand—I was just imagining it in the post I wrote. What a hilariously funny writer he was!  "A group of neko women mocked me". :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks again, Czari, for digging that up. It was even better done than I'd remembered.

Orbit Scatter, your 1 post made a lot of people laugh out loud. Come on back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.