Atmosphere

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm setting up and decorating my first inworld shop and I noticed that, despite my best efforts, the room feels... empty. It doesn't have ambience or feel confortable, rather I feel as if I screamed in it it would echo back with its emptiness. I haven't yet started putting up the lighting but any other advice in therms of decorations that would make it seem less "abandoned"? I wanted to make it looks more cosy and welcoming.

Also, I'm rather bad decorating in RL as well. XD

hi and congrats for your new inworld store :smileyhappy:

my first advice to you would be to define pretty precisely what kind of atmosphere you want to give to your store... This atmosphere has to match with the type of items you sell imho.

If you are at ease with your prim allowance you can find nice furnitures to put your vendors on, some other to decorate the other parts.

your vendors and your adpic are not to be forgoten either... they are part of the deco aswell.

if you want to come and visit my store, you will find the slurl in my signature... Of course its just an exemple, and its decorated with my style, my likings.. but it can give you some ideas about how to create a comfy shop... 

and feel free to im me inworld if you have questions :smileywink:

I like the idea of a seating area as well - and sprinkle some plants about. If you have room, how about a little fountain with seating around it?

Perhaps you can think of a theme for your shop?

Like a grand stairwell with your vendors as the ancestors' portraits? Or an artist's workshops with your vendors on easels?

I think both of those might work well with your merchandise.

Put a nice info desk somewhere near the entrance, 2 chairs aside and a flower pot. Hang some photos that  show you with your friends having fun, something cute or related to the type of shop you have. Remember, each of the things you rezz will take time to load for every visitor that comes in, so try to keep it clean, its better to have few items that rezz fast then tons of grey objects. Don't spare money on decorations, buy small but quality, its something that will probably stay there for a while and something that every visitor will notice.

For ideas, check these links:

http://nevacrystall.com/

http://samanthasstyle.wordpress.com/

http://bloggingsecondlife.wordpress.com/the-stores-creators-lists/stores-home-and-garden/

http://inspirationbook-sl.blogspot.be/ (there are more books, check on the right side)

@OP - I was going to recommend Trinity's shop but she got here first. ;)  DEFINITELY worth a visit to check out for some great decorating ideas.

I'm terrible at decorating a shop as well which is one reason mine is temporarily closed.  I don't have a lot of prims to work with and I sell furnishings, some of which need to be rezzed as demos so I'm trying to figure out how to make my demos part of the ambiance.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

@OP - I was going to recommend Trinity's shop but she got here first.
;)
  DEFINITELY worth a visit to check out for some great decorating ideas.

I'm terrible at decorating a shop as well which is one reason mine is temporarily closed.  I don't have a lot of prims to work with and I sell furnishings, some of which need to be rezzed as demos so I'm trying to figure out how to make my demos part of the ambiance.

Good luck and have fun.
:)

lol ty sweetie

@ OP... someone mentioned the pb for your visitors to load everything.. i strongly recommand you to make all your adpics on your vendors (and every other textures you will display there) at a max size of 512. If you do them bigger pp will have hard times for loading them and will surely leave before they are loaded...

i used to make mine at 1024 X 512... and yes it was a pb.. the newest ones are now half of this size (512X256) and its really better.. ive planed to change the oldest ones soon.

of course you cant control the textures that are on your furnitures or building but at least its already a good thing if the vendors load fast.. and id say its even the main thing... 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

;)

Good luck and have fun.

lol ty sweetie

@ OP... someone mentioned the pb for your visitors to load everything.. i strongly recommand you to make all your adpics on your vendors (and every other textures you will display there) at a max size of 512. If you do them bigger pp will have hard times for loading them and will surely leave before they are loaded...

i used to make mine at 1024 X 512... and yes it was a pb.. the newest ones are now half of this size (512X256) and its really better.. ive planed to change the oldest ones soon.

of course you cant control the textures that are on your furnitures or building but at least its already a good thing if the vendors load fast.. and id say its even the main thing... 

Oooo, good point.  When I took an in world course (10 weeks) to learn Gimp, the instructor said to use the smallest possible texture that still displays a crisp image.  She used the example of many people using 1024x1024 textures for EVERYTHING just because "Everyone else does and it must be right" mentality.  The instructor makes jewelry, among other things, and says she has seen people slap a 1024 texture on a teeny little gem that is a decoration on an item that likely won't even be seen that much.

Since taking the class I make my vendor photos 256x256 which works well for most of them.  If I make a larger vendor and 256 is a bit fuzzy, I go up to 512 but not beyond that.  For small items such as handles on furniture, etc. I start at about 64 and, if that is fuzzy, go up until it's sharp.

The amount of furnishings, clothing, accessories, etc. out there with huge textures on them is likely enormous.  We can't do much about that, but, as Trinity noted, we *can* cut down on lag in our own shops.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

;)

Good luck and have fun.

lol ty sweetie

Oooo, good point.  When I took an in world course (10 weeks) to learn Gimp, the instructor said to use the smallest possible texture that still displays a crisp image.  She used the example of many people using 1024x1024 textures for EVERYTHING just because "Everyone else does and it must be right" mentality.  The instructor makes jewelry, among other things, and says she has seen people slap a 1024 texture on a teeny little gem that is a decoration on an item that likely won't even be seen that much.

Since taking the class I make my vendor photos 256x256 which works well for most of them.  If I make a larger vendor and 256 is a bit fuzzy, I go up to 512 but not beyond that.  For small items such as handles on furniture, etc. I start at about 64 and, if that is fuzzy, go up until it's sharp.

The amount of furnishings, clothing, accessories, etc. out there with huge textures on them is likely enormous.  We can't do much about that, but, as Trinity noted, we *can* cut down on lag in our own shops.

well about this topic, i had an argue with Choosen Few here on the forum... and finally, after a hard fight he finally convinced me lol..

i do all my ad pics at lower size now and indeed ive noticed that the new ones made with small size load really faster for me than the old ones..

for my clothes, i keep trying both size, bec my cltohes have usually really tiny details and i dont want to loose quality.. but ive learnt that there are ways in pshop to fix that and be able to make them at 512. So, when im sure im not loosing anything (almost always everytime) i choose the lower size... 

i know ive been a pain for Choosen during this fight lol... but at least, now i admit he was right at 200 %. 

And yes, we creators are often responsible for the lag... so its important to be aware about this, and learn more ways to reduce this responsability :smileywink:

Sitting area with fruit punch set! It does kinda help, actually! I need to take care of the lighting effects and I have a desk to out up some info, like group joins and free gifts.

I also realise that I don't like my windows... they get in the way. I've decided to cover some of them with paintings :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.