Marketplace Scam - Beware!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Oh, I quite agree. If you are an honest person, you expect other people to be honest also. That tendency is one of the things that make con artists and scammers so much money, but we've just got to know that and live with it.

I wasn't accusing the OP of anything, I just found the sequence odd. She has since explained that she did actually try the AO at an inworld Vista store and only hit the one she bought on the MP because she searched by name.
Given that the seller used the original name for the product I can understand how that might happen.

And to Ginger, I see from an earlier post that you have decided to notifiy the original creators about the fact their products are being improperly sold on the MP. That is exactly the right thing to do.

(empasis is mine)

lol its even worst than that... actually the seller used the same ad pic AND the exact same description text. 

the mistake was then easy.. 

the only thing that is different is the price :smileywink:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mais oui, Trinity. I included a pic from my MP search when I first posted back here. My question regarded purchasing an AO untried and Ginger has since answered that question. It is easy to see from the search results that anyone relatively new would think, "Well good. These are obviously the same product, I'll just get the less expensive one."

Second Life is a constant learning experience. Well, actually, so is real life. Getting things wrong here is less damaging than doing so in RL. Plus I am cuter here. :-)

I see the item is still for sale, no surprise there. I still file DMCAs, but knowing that there is little point because, given proof that an account is using a forbidden ripper viewer or other illegal method of copying LL DOES NOTHING TO THE ACCOUNT. There are no consequences whatsoever. Yes, there used to be. But not now. LL is "neutral" in the war between the thieves who steal content and those who create content. 

Someone was selling a griefer HUD, but advertised it with an exact copy of one of my home listings, so people thought they were getting a nice house. I reported it but last I saw, it was still up. 

GingerHenderson wrote:

I did try it first at the store before, then looked up the name in the marketplace
and my mistake was that I did not notice the user/store was different till it was too late so I admit it was not wise in my part. But the point I am making is nothing to do with me but the fatc that it is still there for months doing this.

Why didn't you buy it at the store then? You were there and it would have been much easier and quicker to buy it there.

The marketplace has been killing stores and creation since it started. Anyone who wants to help creators and creation should always buy at the inworld store when there is one, and never on the marketplace. Don't find things in a store and then buy them in the marketplace. That's the wrong way round. Find them in the marketplace and then buy them in the store if there is one. It would not only have prevented you losing money and the thief gaining money, but buying inworld means that the creator gets more money than they would from a sale in the marketplace.

Support creators by buying inworld.

I certainly agree that buying in-world is preferable, and I'll very often choose another seller rather than buy from a Marketplace merchant with no in-world store. There is one disadvantage, though: the only way to leave a review is from a Marketplace purchase. This is yet another way in which LL dropped the ball when they bought-out the online stores and failed to make even a cursory attempt to integrate in-world and online shopping, and thus, yet another way Marketplace is an embarrassment to Second Life.

Yes, the marketplace does have that advantage, but it's not such a big advantage that it outweighs the merits of buying inworld, imo.

I'm still curious why the OP tried the item at the inworld store and then, to buy it, searched for it in the marketplace. That's a very strange thing to do. Methinks there's more to this than meets the eye.

I have just read a notecard advising me from one of my customers  about the product at MP and about this  discussion at the forum...

As owner of the product involved here, what can  I say...

I have reported THIS resident AT LEAST 2 times before, and almost sure one alt from him another 2 or 3. (DMCAs and AR).

I just reported again this product too...

Will LL take serious action and do a IP ban from this resident? How long will it take? It's so difficult to track this stolen lindens and make a serious clean of scamers accounts involved?

Personally I am really tired and sad to  see nobodybody "at the other side".

One day maybe they will realies that this hurts also their own image, since each customer scammed is a unhappy SL customer.

I'm still curious why the OP tried the item at the inworld store and then, to buy it, searched for it in the marketplace. That's a very strange thing to do. Methinks there's more to this than meets the eye.

Hi Phil, I went to the In-world store and tried the demo but had not enough L$ to purchase at that time. Had to close out of the viewer to do a backup on my PC and after the BUY I replenishing my account, went to the MP as I used to do in the past anyways to look for the product. My mistake was that I did not notice the 'Store/User' was not Vista :( and clicked BUY. Also saw the PROMO in front which I should have been suspect. If it is too good to be true then it is not real, just as in RL.

To me my lesson has been learned and will never do that again in this way. I may use the MP for reference or search for items I would like to buy but will visit the In-World stores.

Your customers are extremely loyal Vista. The first AO I ever got.

I do use other anims too but Vista is my mainstay.

I will include reference to them in all future products/upgrades where they feature.

(clothing ads & occasional dance vids).

Thank you for excellent products. Have faith in us as we do in you.

:smileyhappy:

Ps: Ginger, go there and try ALL the anims. Take a sleeping bag, a pillow and your mobile

so you can order coffee and food. It's really good fun trying them.

GingerHenderson wrote:

Thanks,also did not know that inworld gave them more. They have charges in Marketplace? If there is a inworld store I will purchase it there after this lesson.

The rules of the marketplace is that items have to be sold at the same price as they are sold inworld. The difference is that LL gets commission on every marketplace sale so the seller receives less than the user pays for each item.

Incidentally, that's the sole reason why I've never sold my stuff in the marketplace, and I never will. It's not the money - it's the principle.

GingerHenderson wrote:

I'm still curious why the OP tried the item at the inworld store and then, to buy it, searched for it in the marketplace. That's a very strange thing to do. Methinks there's more to this than meets the eye.

Hi Phil, I went to the In-world store and tried the demo but had not enough L$ to purchase at that time. Had to close out of the viewer to do a backup on my PC and after the BUY I replenishing my account, went to the MP as I used to do in the past anyways to look for the product. My mistake was that I did not notice the 'Store/User' was not Vista
:(
and clicked BUY. Also saw the PROMO in front which I should have been suspect. If it is too good to be true then it is not real, just as in RL.

To me my lesson has been learned and will never do that again in this way. I may use the MP for reference or search for items I would like to buy but will visit the In-World stores.

I knew there were sensible reasons why it could happen. I imagined a few :) I'm glad that you explained it though because it did make me wonder if we were hearing the whole story :)

Wow, the Vista of Vista. I've been walking around (and sitting, and flying, and jumping off my deck just because I like that flip) in an AO of yours for years. You do great work.

I do hope LL will get off its collective butt and do something about the person stealing/reselling your creations.

GingerHenderson wrote:

Looks like it now has been removed from the MP. Not sure if by the user since they still have the other items, 2 others that are of another store there but the one in question is gone
:)

well, i had no answer from the merchant btw...

and Vista... i only use your AOs since my first days in sl 4 years ago. Now, i use the sweet chica.. and i have never regreted the money i put in this one... :smileyhappy:

Vista Barnes wrote:

Will LL take serious action and do a IP ban from this resident? How long will it take? It's so difficult to track this stolen lindens and make a serious clean of scamers accounts involved?

I am betting no they will not ban the account. Those who repeatedly put my content up for sale experience no consequences whatsoever. LL does not/ can not remove the stolen content from their inventories, just from inworld or marketplace, because I can't say what they have renamed them. 

Filing DMCAs takes up a lot of my time and accomplishes almost nothing. That's the way LL wants it now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.