Welcome To Google Island

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome To Google Island

"It (the boat) hit the shore at first light, approaching from a perfect angle that allowed the sun to just peek out over the back of the island. I hopped over the side, and watched as the boat slowly put itself into reverse, turned, and headed back out to sea.

“Hello.”

The soft, froggy voice startled me. I turned around to face an approaching figure. It was Larry Page, naked, save for a pair of eyeglasses............."

Yandex is a nice alternate to gmail. I quite like having .ru on the end of my address instead of .com :catvery-happy:

Google is getting bad enough with privacy invasion & general creepy creepiness as to be avoided. Don't give Google (or facebook) any info about yourself... or your family... or your friends. Even if you don't use these sites, you must still use security to block their tracking cookies also. These companies are monsters.

I'm going to ditch my Yahoo email account as well.  The "New Yahoo" that is coming out has as part of its agreement that they can scan and use anything written via Yahoo. (I'd have to look up the exact wording, but that is the very condensed version.

I discovered a search engine that does not record ISP - Startpage - and have been using it instead of Google and love it.  Startpage will have an email soon but in the meantime I need to use something besides Yahoo.  As an addendum question - back in the day I used Eudora as my mail reader and through it could read email from all my various email accounts.  Is it or anything like it still around?  Going to separate websites for email accounts can get cumbersome.

Best alternative for mail instead of Google, Yahoo and all the other ones:

Your own domain with a good hoster. Of course, it's not free - but everything runs to your specification.
And you can use the e-mail client you like. Plus most webhosters offer webmail too.
Just stay away from GoDaddy and its subsidiaries.

I have a number of email services to select from including my ISP and a few websites as you mentioned.  I decided to use Yahoo as my main email provider years ago when my PC was in the shop for two weeks.  At the time my ISP did not then provide web-based email.  I went to the library and used my secondary Yahoo email account to notify people that I had not fallen off the face of the earth and opted to stay with it since I could access my email from any PC.

That is no longer the case but it was just easier to continue with Yahoo than notify everyone under the sun of a new email addy.

Still interested in current email clients where I can access all email accounts in one location.

I use Thunderbird, it can handle multiple accounts on multiple ISPs, has extensive filtering options (I use that to presort mails
into separate folders), handles SSL/TLS-Encryption and has a bayesian type Spam-filter, which works quite well.

My web hoster (Goneo.de) offers two different webmail-clients, comprehensive spam premarking/filtering,
plus a load of options regarding the webhosting service itself.
Price range is usually between a tenner per year for a simple webpage and a few mail accounts
and up to 80, 90 bucks per year for a big business web presence.
Remember, when comparing offers, besides price and options, reliability and customer service are the main important points
to look out for. And a Linden Lab-style communication culture is usually the exception, not the standard.

Here are a few comparison sites: http://www.findmyhosting.com/
http://web-hosting-review.toptenreviews.com/
More can be found on Google.

I've been noticing that anything I write about anywhere online affects the ads I get right after that. So not only are browsers allowing email scans, but also, message board posts and anything else seems to be fair game.

Big Brother never had it so easy.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

More can be found on Google.

I found this quite humorous considering the topic... :smileyvery-happy:

Well, using the search engine is relatively unproblematic, you can throw out the tracking cookies regularly

without loosing nearly any functionality. However, with mail comes login and through that, tracking is always possible,

plus, I don't like it, when my mail is scanned for keywords to present adverts, noone knows, what else is going on there.

The Spam-filter my provider uses is integrated in their mailserver, the scanning results never leave the box,

the only result that leaves that server is an amended subject line, "[*** SPAM ***]" is added in front, I can locally sort those out.

Btw, data protection laws doesn't allow more than that, even throwing spam mail away isn't allowed, unless the

account holder specifically activates that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.