Marketplace Feature Suggestion

Rival Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put in a ticket with a feature request & was notified by Dakota Linden that I may post it here.

Am unsure if this has been requested before so if it has, sorry for the dupe.

Feature:  We currently can store our favorite products from MP.  I think it would be awesome if we could make the list public and add a buy button so another resident can purchase the item for you as a gift, etc.  Perhaps make the 'show my favorites' an option as there may be those that do not want their favorites to be public.  And perhaps take that one step further and have a choice of 'who' can see you favorites.

Please feel free to weight in with your thoughts or any additional info.

Thanks !!!

Rival :)

Rival Destiny wrote:

I put in a ticket with a feature request & was notified by Dakota Linden that I may post it here.

Am unsure if this has been requested before so if it has, sorry for the dupe.

Feature:  We currently can store our favorite products from MP.  I think it would be awesome if we could make the list public and add a buy button so another resident can purchase the item for you as a gift, etc.  Perhaps make the 'show my favorites' an option as there may be those that do not want their favorites to be public.  And perhaps take that one step further and have a choice of 'who' can see you favorites.

Please feel free to weight in with your thoughts or any additional info.

Thanks !!!

Rival
:)

"Wish Lists" are very common on E Commerce sites and yes it would be an awesome addition.

Too bad we can't start a JIRA suggesting it.

Yes!

Am glad you also think this would be a nice addition.

Perhaps we can use this thread & have members vote yes or no for this feature?

Would be nice if this forum software had the polling, voting feature.  Oh hey, another feature to request.  :)

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Spooky, I think LL has forgotten
is still connected to something.

A good feature suggestion though, yes.

"If you'd like to log in, simply click here and enter the e-mail address associated with your account. We will then e-mail you a link to set up a new password, and you will be able to log into wishpot and preserve your existing lists, or  even augment them with wishes from other sites."

No thank you.

For me, I wouldn't want my wish list to be mixed in with my feed.  Another reason would also be that not all residents take advantage of the web profile, prefer to not participate & keep their profiles in sl.

It makes more sense to have a purchase option in the actual mp rather than going back and forth.

Thanks for your input though :)

It's the difference between shouting your desires on a street corner (transitory and hit-or-miss), as opposed to making a list for Santa and giving it to your parents.

Wishlists can be automated. When a purchase is made, it can be automatically deleted from the wishlist. Not as clunky as a 6 month old tweet that no one will remember or read.

Besides, social networking can give you hives.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Well, if it was on your feed, or even on a new tab on your profile, then someone could buy it for you without ever having to open the MP and search for your specific wishlist.

OK so lets look at what you have here:

If it's on your feed - you have to search through the feed to find the items.  No searching required if on it's own in mp.

A tab on your profile & you wouldn't even have to open mp?  Well now you have to open the profile. 

Makes absolutely no sense to put a mp feature somewhere other than the mp.

JMO of course.

Rival Destiny wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Well, if it was on your feed, or even on a new tab on your profile, then someone could buy it for you without ever having to open the MP and search for your specific wishlist.

OK so lets look at what you have here:

If it's on your feed - you have to search through the feed to find the items.  No searching required if on it's own in mp.

A tab on your profile & you wouldn't even have to open mp?  Well now you have to open the profile. 

Makes absolutely no sense to put a mp feature somewhere other than the mp.

JMO of course.

So, how would you know who wants what item? you would have to open their MP profile (which would have to be a new feature totally coded in) and find their wishlists. And what happens if you buy something for someone that isnt online? Ever have things get lost? i have.

Its easier to open a profile and click a tab than open a browser, then the MP, find a profile and buy an item.

I don't mean to be butting in here, just adding my opinion as a feature.

There are quite a few ways it could be implemented but the thing that I liked about this suggestion was that it plays off of a feature that already exists ... the favorites feature of the marketplace so it's really not a from scratch endeavor.

A user could choose to make their favorites public or not.

Right under the link to visit a persons store could be a link to view their wishlist.

They could add a link or two here and there to search wishlists or a specific feature.

There's certainly no reason why it couldn't be also implemented in profiles as a link to the wishlist in the marketplace. If they really wanted to they could create an RSS-ish feed out of it and it could also be propagated to wherever it applied.

One way or the other though, if someone is buying ... they're going to go to the marketplace. I suppose they could go in-world to buy that item, but that would defeat automatic deletion, possible integration with deals or perks or seasonal promotions which is in the domain of marketplace functionality.

There are two main types of wishlists, which I think is the issue here. One is the external type where you can buy someone something from another site(s), and the type that's integrated into the commerce system. I think you're suggesting something like the former while the OPs suggestion is the latter.

In theory direct delivery fixes the issue of whether or not the user is online when something is purchased.

Of course given marketplace snafu's you could buy someone an ivy covered cottage from their favorites and end up sending them a set of extra large mesh breasts.

True, that's the bit that would need implementation for any customer. All users are already "registered" with the marketplace as it ties in with the SL user system.

I get what you're saying ... at first glance that falls under the domain of profiles where all users are and so the logical choice would seem to be there.

I just think that in the end it's a purchase/commerce feature, the heavy lifting belongs in the marketplace.

It's a good point, as to where the front end actually belongs, if it needs to belong in only one space.

Adding the feature of a wish list would be done under My Account section of the MP which everyone has when registered.   

The addition of a Store, is another facet of MP altogether - Merchant Home & My Store.

At the bottom, you have My Favorites.  

Those without a store, would simply have the option to set up a store.

hth

Rival Destiny wrote:

Adding the feature of a wish list would be done under My Account section of the MP which everyone has when registered.   

The addition of a Store, is another facet of MP altogether - Merchant Home & My Store.

hth

In order to utilize properly they would have to make everyone that uses the MP have a profile on the MP. A searchable one. Or are you saying that anyone that wanted to use the new feature would have to set up a store, whether they had items to sell or not?  That seems like a colossal waste of time.

When you click on a merchants name on the MP it brings you to their SL profile. Why wouldn't this do the same? LL  would have to add a new tab on the MP so you could search for non merchants so you could find their profile and their wishlist. It all goes back to their profile, whether the browser based one of inworld, both would be where the wish list would be.

Where would the wish list be if it was a strictly MP based thing?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Rival Destiny wrote:

hth

In order to utilize properly they would have to make everyone that uses the MP have a profile on the MP. A searchable one. Or are you saying that anyone that wanted to use the new feature would have to set up a store, whether they had items to sell or not?  That seems like a colossal waste of time.

When you click on a merchants name on the MP it brings you to their SL profile. Why wouldn't this do the same? LL  would have to add a new tab on the MP so you could search for non merchants so you could find their profile and their wishlist. It all goes back to their profile, whether the browser based one of inworld, both would be where the wish list would be.

Where would the wish list be if it was a strictly MP based thing?

When you join sl, you are able to purchase items on MP so there would be no requirement for residents to do anything further. 

As per LL:

-----------------------------------------------------

To start shopping in the Second Life Marketplace:

1. Go to marketplace.secondlife.com.
  2. If you're not already logged into secondlife.com, click Sign In in the upper-right.
  3. Enter your Second Life name and password, and click Login.

-------------------------------------------------------

First to answer your question:  "Where would the wish list be if it was a strictly MP based thing?"  I think it should be combined with our Favorites page.

As for locating a person's Favorites/Wish List page on MP, I'd iimagine that LL would add another level in the db to search for the resident you wish to buy for.  Perhaps an additional tab located where we currently search for merchants/stores.

But, I don't think this feature would have to be totally restricted to MP.  The Merchant, product & recipient would be there but I think the purchase would begin via our in world profiles.  Having the link to our Favorites/Wish List in our in-world profiles, under the web tab.  Can be linked through the web profile to take advantage of the permissions there as I know some people do not want to have their info on the web.  So, this would accomodate those as well as anyone else that doesn't wish to participate.  There would be a choice of who can see your Favorites/Wish List page, the same as we have the choices of who can see our feeds etc.

A person wanting to buy a gift would simply go to the web tab of giftee's profile in world & click the link to be taken to MP site and that person's Favorites/Wish List page.  From there, it's just a matter of clicking on the item to be taken to the Merchants page to purchase.

If you feel this feature would not be of use to you I can understand that.  But there has been some positive feedback here in favor.   Now if this feature when added would have some negative effect that would impact others, then I can see an argument.  But you seem to merely want to question the logistics and implementation and argue the fine points of implementation.

Second life itself is and always has been, a work in progress.  And the MP also, a work in progress.  I think improvements of any kind are needed to move forward.

I think this is a feature that would be easily implemented but I'll leave the details up to LL.  This thread is about presenting a new feature to LL, it's not about how it will be implemented.  Having said that, I think we have drawn a fairly good picture of how it could be done. 

I would really enjoy having this feature.

Rival :)

omg it's a novella .. sorry I got a bit wordy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.