Pet Loss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently had to put my dog to sleep.

I feel so overwhelmed with the emotions I'm going through right now. I could use some help, within SL [I am seeking help outside of SL too], on dealing with this tremendous loss.  

Any suggestions?

I'm really sorry for your loss. Pets are like family members, and it leaves a hole in your life when they pass.

Time will heal, and maybe another special critter can be adopted into your home. Lord knows dogs really feed on love and attention. I'm sure you have plenty to share :)

You have my sympathy.  It is always wrenching to lose a pet that you have had for a long time and were very attached to. 

I had two dogs, brother and sister, that I too had to put down several months ago, within weeks of each other after having them for 16+ years.  They had always been happy and healthy until one day the female started having seizures and deteriorated within days, despite medical help.  Once the female left us, the male's health just went downhill fast without his companion of so long. I didn't want to, but they were always there for me with unconditional love so I owed them the same and gave them a peaceful passing when their quality of life was to the point they were no longer happy. It would have been selfish to let them linger.  I comfort myself knowing that I did the right thing for them.  I miss them every day.

I promise you that as time passes the pain will lessen and you will find joy in remembering the happy times and and the love your dog gave to you.  I like to think that if there is a heaven where every happiness is fulfilled, then our beloved pets must be there waiting for us, happy and healthy again.

I"m making a note, because can't get inworld til tonight, but will send you LM's to a couple of pet loss memorial parks there.  I'll double check them first to make sure they're still active but I'm pretty sure at least one is.  I have a grief resources list and I do try to keep it updated, think the last time I checked was in March, a lot can happen in 2 months.   You'd be surprised how much that helps, when you can memorialize them in SL.   And, Sorry for your loss.

ETA: if you want to search for yourself, just search in Places for Pet Memorials, you'll probably get the same ones I'll send you.......

Relish yourself within the unconditional love you shared with it. 

ETA : Perhaps you will remain feeling sad at first a lot for a while to come , but eventually you will smile every time you do.

I know how it feels. Only time makes it better. I also know this is going to repeat over and over again for me because I always share my life with more than one furries.

After it happened for the first time, I thought maybe there is a reason their life spam is shorter than ours. Maybe its better this way. What would have happened if they were destined to outlive me? I am responsible from the quality of their life experience. The safe and happy world we share together would be gone. We need to be there and secure their well being, so we have to be the one seeing them leaving. It's heart breaking, but its our responsibility to make sure their heart doesnt get broken. 

Knowing this doesnt make anything easier, but it can give strength

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.  I love animals and have lost many pets over the years; it's never easy.  The last pet I lost was a precious cat I had for 18 years (lived to be 20 - I adopted him from Humane Society at age 2).  When I came back the night I had to take him to the vet, I found the Rainbow Bridge website. There is a live chat room staffed 24/7 with volunteers.  Being able to pour out my sorrow to people who understood helped me make it through that first awful night.  I highly recommend the site.

Because of worsening allergies over the years, I haven't had a pet since I was a teen. But this weekend I was reminded of what that experience can be like.

A big Black Labrador wandered into my yard and eagerly soaked up all the scritching I gave him. When he'd had his fill, he wandered away and I went to wash off. I'd never seen him before, I expect he belongs to one of my new neighbors.

Later that day, he returned carrying a stuffed animal in his mouth. I scritched him up once more, we played a bit of fetch and off he went again, toy in mouth. A while later, I walked out onto the patio and his stuffed animal was there. I consider it a calling card.

I'm sure you have memories like this you will cherish forever. I hope my little story reminds you that there new fuzzy friends and memories to be made, and the joy of sharing your life them them will come again.

Grieving will take time, your memories will last forever, and I bet there's a lucky creature out there with your name on it.

Hugs,

Maddy

I did send you the LM inworld, but here's the SLurl, in case you check back here.  I only found this one still active.  He's been there a long time, doing this.  The place is called Dogpark.   Feel better soon.....

Rhoda (166,245,28) is the SLurl

I found one more, Rainbow Gardens.  SLurl: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Imagination%20Island/220/43/26

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.