This is Getting Frustrating!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ah, thanks. That's much more recent than the last time I'd registered that any specific cause was identified for vehicle sim-crossing problems, which was back when Pathfinding was rolling out.

(Speaking of Pathfinding, and totally off-topic: check sim statistics for Pathfinding on a sim with the release just rolled today. I even see Spare Time on a sim that was always bogged down before.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Do we think the vehicle sim-crossing problems were associated with the interestlist changes?

It could be; I honestly don't know. Over the past seven years that I've been in SL, the intervals during which vehicles could reliably cross sim borders have been so brief that I've rarely noticed.

There were region crossing issues resulting from interest list changes, vis:

As originally deployed, the interest list code (as you know) only updated the viewer with information relating to objects within the camera’s field-of-view. When crossing a region, the camera position was extrapolated first, with any vehicle the avatar was attached to being created "behind" the camera in the region just entered. Because of this, the interest list code considered the vehicle to be outside the camera's field-of-view updates for the vehicle ceased - hence problems with vehicles ending-up "snagged" at crossings.

HOWEVER - this particular issue was fixed in week 12

Whether the interest list code is in any way responsible for further vehicle crossings is debatable. I've no idea one way or the other (which isn't actually saying a lot, I know! :)).

I keep an eye on vehicle crossings. Lest week was better than this week. There were some big problems that coincided with Pathfinding, which needed a new Physics engine. Threaded code, introduced this year, did improve things. The Second Life server is very complicated, and I infer from some of the things said by Monty Linden about shifting communications to HTTP froim UDP, that there is a bad case of spaghetti code.

Even without region crossing, vehicle function get worse with the arrival of Pathfinding.

I cannot recall seeing any significant use of Pathfinding, beyond the demo regions which the Lindens set up, with that jungle and river. If people aren't using it, was it worth doing?

But complicated mesh objects, and heavy scripting, also make a difference. Some vehicle builders seem to know what they're doing. Some seem to have a complicated model and drop in a large set of third-party scripts, and send up with something sensitve to problems.

There is not one big problem with vehicles, but it isn't hard, using the same vehicle week after week, to see differences which coincide with server changes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.