Friends Online Not Really Online?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had something very strange happen this morning.

I logged on to my Dashboard and immediately noticed that a friend of mine, that I had not seen since August of 2011 was online! It is one of those old stories that happens all too often in sl, she was a very very close friend of mine who had simply disappeard with no trace. So, of course I was excited to log on and see her, only when I did log on, she was gone. I assumed she must have just logged off and I just missed her but just to be sure I checked a group that we are both in and according to that she has still not logged on since August of 2011. 

Has anyone else noticed friends online that really aren't? It is a little upsetting, I have a few people on my friendslist still that I know have died in real life, I really don't want to see any of them coming online.

Howdy, Gabby Dude!

I can certainly understand THAT! (..."I have a few people on my friendslist still that I know have died in real life, I really don't want to see any of them coming online.")  My business partner and one of my closest friends in SL died in March last year.  If I were to log on and see his account showing online (he's still on my friends list also), I would absolutely flip out!  

I've not had this happen to me before, so I can't offer any explanations as to why or how this happened to you.  But I'll be watching this thread closely to see if anybody else has any insights.  

/me shudders at the thought

I have had that happen to me.   My SL Partner passed away last November after a long fight with cancer..   She had left instruction with her mother to email me and several of her best friends in SL in the event of her passing.   She even left a special message to be conveyed to each of us.   After I received the news, I noticed that she showed up on-line several times. 

As I have carried on email contact with her mother, I wondered if it was perhaps her cleaning up old business and/or closing out the account.  I was told that no one had the log in information but her (my partner's Mom), so there was no one else that could access the account.  She had logged on once to give me access to some of the things we shared in our home.  As I was on line with her to explain how to do this, I am aware of the exact time it occurred.

Her Mom also told me that since my partners account was paid for 6 months at a time, SL had advised her the account would be automatically shut down in April when the billing came due again.  But, I kept seeing her as on-line, also in my dashboard.   Since she was a member of a family group we both belonged to, I check there only to see she hadn't been online since the day I was on with her Mom.  

Originally I had intended to keep her on my friends list until her account shut down.   But it became so painful for me, that I finally took her off my friends list and ejected her from the group.  Both actions were very painful for me do, but not as painful as her ghost haunting my dashboard.

This has happened to me too, with just one friend on one account. Her name showed on my dashboard at a time when I knew she was at work in RL, I logged in and same as you, not on my friends list, I checked a shared group because it seemed odd that she would uncheck me, or anyone, and nope, she hadn't been on for two days. I contacted her and told her about it. She was obviously concerned! When she got home and logged in nothing had changed on her account, no money missing or inventory so we put it down to an SL glitch. It hasn't happened again.

So, no explanation other than SL weird stuff!  :)

I think that I have seen it happen. I have seen a friend's name come up when I knew he was traveling - on a plane. Then I would try and contact him with no response. I have seen on forums and bulletin boards that had a "who is online" feature that someone would sign in but mistype their user name and their correct password. The two didn't match, so they were not able to get in. But between that attempt and when they retype their name the incorrect name, if it does match someone else user name, would be shown as on-line for a short time.

So if I typed username "Marybeth Cooperston", leaving off the "e", and then my pass word, I would not actually log on. But if there was a "Marybeth Cooperston" it would show her as logged on for a few seconds. That is my theory. I  will try it with the help of a friend on SL.

But, whether it is that or something else, it is most likely just a glitch in SL's software.

Marybeth

FLICKR

SID Riler wrote:

She most certainly puts herself offline to you, but you can still see people that is online in the SL page, which is the truth status

Actually what happens when someone marks to appear offline to you their name disappears from your friends list on the Dashboard.

I'm feeling too lazy to dig for it now but this came up and was complained about way back when LL started taking Lithium.

Gabby Handrick wrote:

I have not tested this for a while but I also think that friends that have hidden their online status do not show up as online on the Dashboard either. Checking a group to see if someone is online or to check the last time they logged on seems the most accurate way to know for sure.

I tested the function with some friends who obliged me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It's been a while since I saw some of them.  ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.