The Picture Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I'm going to cheat by reposting an old pic from my feed. You can see this was taken before the advent of color film. I no longer remember what I did to peeve Mr. Twain, but he's got a short temper...

Mark and Maddy.jpg

I love it when you cheat Maddy, that's one damn good picture!

Talking about black and white, it reminds me a short series I did quite some time ago. The thread must be buried in the archives now, but here's what I posted back then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/val-inshan/sets/72157632131666692/

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Black and white pics and movies remain my favorite btw..

Have you seen "The Artist"? If not, you must...

Of course we did Maddy, this movie is French and Jean Dujardin now has become a national icon. Brilliant film (and a special mention to Uggie!)

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Black and white pics and movies remain my favorite btw..

Have you seen the 2011 movie "The Artist"? If not, you must.

Lol, sure i did.. remember im french, just like the 2 main actors and the director.

althought its not really an amazing movie, i really liked it... It redraw really the history of this actor pre-talking period after talking cinema have been launched and what was the drama for them then... All the story about the cinema industry then is pretty well described too... and Jean Dujardin is just awesome in his character.. Not easy to play a movie without talking nowadays, its just so different thing...  But he plays really right, and other actors too..

i think its maybe not a masterpiece, but still it remain a really beautiful declaration of love from the director to the cinema from this period...

I still have great delight to watch some movies from this period and even the one of the following decade till 1940...I have also some delight to watch some from the 50's till 70's but since then, imho, cinema is just disapointing... That's show.... probably great shows, indeed... but so far from what i call Art, with a big A. 

my favorite directors ever are Eisenstein, O.Welles, and J. Cassavetes....you can add also Hitchcock and Fellini... So as you can see... B&W pics or movies doesnt annoy me at all... on the contrary..

valerie Inshan wrote:

Talking about black and white, it reminds me a short series I did quite some time ago. The thread must be buried in the archives now, but here's what I posted back then.

Oooh, that's from the "Movie Star" thread in the old forum, I remember those!!!

These were my B&W contributions to that thread...

Bogey.jpg

Bride of Frank.jpg

• Like 1

valerie Inshan wrote:

Oooh, that's from the "Movie Star" thread in the old forum, I remember those!!!

These were my B&W contributions to that thread...

Bogey.jpg

Bride of Frank.jpg

YAY! Oh what a fun thread it was! Those pics you posted were pure genious! :smileyhappy:

My favorite scene in "The Artist" is when Dujardin is at his dressing table and the movie briefly crosses into sound, then falls back into silence. I thought that was brilliant.

I'm a fan of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and others of the Max Roach/Mack Sennet era. One of my favorite movies is Chaplin's "Gold Rush". I'd seen it projected on the wall of my barn when I was a kid, with no sound at all. Then I saw it with the sound track that Chaplin composed. And finally about a dozen years ago, I saw it with live scoring from a string quartet from Chicago called "No Talking Please". Before the screening, they discussed how one scores for a silent movie, with each character having a musical theme, which is woven into the score whenever the character is on screen. The emotional state of the character is conveyed through key, melody and intonation changes in the character's theme.

They then went on to show the film while playing live, just under the screen. It was absolutely wonderful. The movie came to life as it had never done before. I have watched it since with Chaplin's score again, and it's not the same. Charlie was a genius to be sure, but those four young people from Chicago captured something he missed, and their screening of "The Gold Rush" will forever be a special memory to me. I doubt I will ever watch the movie again.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

valerie Inshan wrote:

YAY! Oh what a fun thread it was! Those pics you posted were
pure
genious! :smileyhappy:

I'll admit that was a fun thread, but I think "genius" is unwarranted. Maddy wears slip ons to avoid the challenge of tying her shoes.

Hey!!!

At least I'm pure!

That claim is even more unwarranted.

My favorite scene in "The Artist" is when Dujardin is at his dressing table and the movie briefly crosses into sound, then falls back into silence. I thought that was brilliant.

I'm a fan of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and others of the Max Roach/Mack Sennet era. One of my favorite movies is Chaplin's "Gold Rush". I'd seen it projected on the wall of my barn when I was a kid, with no sound at all. Then I saw it with the sound track that Chaplin composed. And finally about a dozen years ago, I saw it with live scoring from a string quartet from Chicago called "No Talking Please". Before the screening, they discussed how one scores for a silent movie, with each character having a musical theme, which is woven into the score whenever the character is on screen. The emotional state of the character is conveyed through key, melody and intonation changes in the character's theme.

They then went on to show the film while playing live, just under the screen. It was absolutely wonderful. The movie came to life as it had never done before. I have watched it since with Chaplin's score again, and it's not the same. Charlie was a genius to be sure, but those four young people from Chicago captured something he missed, and their screening of "The Gold Rush" will forever be a special memory to me. I doubt I will ever watch the movie again.

Oh yes ! i had myself the opportunity, one year ago, to watch "The General" from Buster Keaton, on big screen with a jazz-electronic band playing.... At this day, it remains one of the more awesome thing i have seen in a cinema theater... The band made the music as you said, taking a lot of parameters from the movie. And really it gave a dimension i never saw in a non-talking movie... That was soooo great !!! 

And yes, Chaplin was also a genius... my favorite from him is "Modern times" althought i really like too "The dictator"... When i was at university studying cinema, we spend a lot of time on his cinema.. and omg... he was really a genius... he used so much tricks to bypass the technical limits ! 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Oh yes ! i had myself the opportunity, one year ago, to watch "The General" from Buster Keaton, on big screen with a jazz-electronic band playing.... At this day, it remains one of the more awesome thing i have seen in a cinema theater... The band made the music as you said, taking a lot of parameters from the movie. And really it gave a dimension i never saw in a non-talking movie... That was soooo great !!!

And yes, Chaplin was also a genius... my favorite from him is "Modern times" althought i really like too "The dictator"... When i was at university studying cinema, we spend a lot of time on his cinema.. and omg... he was really a genius... he used so much tricks to bypass the technical limits ! 

I love both "Modern Times" and "The Great Dictator". Hitler's globe scene is unforgettable...

When I was young, we moved firewood from the woods to the house with our tractor and trailer. We sometimes re-enacted Keaton's "loading the tender" scene from "The General". It's at 50:00...

A couple years ago, Dillon pointed me to this little gem, Buster's last film...

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Ok, so since this thread has the exclusivity on my new pics (before i post everywhere else and i upload inworld) here are 2 new ones.

Goatswood again, the bell-tower

Goatswood-bell-tower.jpg

... and from Humanoid sim, The pelican and the butterfly :

The-pelican-and-the-butterfly.jpg

Oh wow Trin!  Fantastic!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.