I rein-staled catznip is not corrupt anymore

sydneyjean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Congratulations.  At least you got one problem solved.  Now, are you sure that it crashes?  If so, what error message are you getting?  Tell us exactly.  Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT to add useful information. Please DO NOT start a new thread.  That only confuses people who won't know what we have already tried.

If you got no error message at all, you are not crashing.  You are disconnecting, which is a completely different thing.  It's also very helpful to know, so tell us that when you edit your post, please.  Tell us exactly how far you get through the login propcedure before it fails.  Also, please tell us about your computer and how it is connected to the Internet.

sydneyjean wrote:

here is the screen shot you requested im connected by wifi and i get were it finishes downloading clothes as it finishes it crashes

OK, according to the right-hand image you posted, you do have a corrupted copy of the Catznip viewer. To get rid of it, you can't simply download and re-install a new copy.  You have to very carefully remove all traces of the current files.  If you don't, your new installation will inherit whatever is corrupt in the old ones.  Here's how to do a Clean Re-install >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall  Follow those instructions, replacing "Firestorm" with "Catznip".

The other message is the crash logger report that's being sent to the SL servers, which are trying to recover the lost connection. 

My guess is that you have a lousy Internet connection, so you are losing important data as you try to connect.  That may be how your viewer file was corrupted in the first place, but it's almost certainly part of your problem with logging in now.  You said that you are on wireless, so the first step is DON'T DO THAT.  Wireless is not designed to handle the heavy, continuous data streaming that SL expects, and it's vulnerable to all sorts of interference.  Use a direct cable connection instead.  You didn't tell us anything about your computer, but it's also possible that the machine itself is not up to SL's minimum standards.

Check your connection as it is the most likely problem: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. Good ping and speed to places other than the SL servers is not a good test. The article helps you specifically test your connection to SL.

Wireless connections are getting better and better. Many people are running on wireless now. But, wire in and see if it makes a difference. Also, knowing your service provider and DNS service may help us diagnose the problem. The article I link to gets into ISP and DNS problems.

Looks like problems on the filesystem. $MFT contains the master file table of the partition on your harddisc. Did you actually run Chkdsk? You can start it by opening Windows Explorer, right-click on the C:\ drive and choose properties. On the property window that opens, open the Tools tab and run the check tool.

It is also advised to use a more specialized tool from the manufacturer of your harddrive as it seams the harddisc has some problems and might be failing in near future. If you don't know how to do that, you should ask a friend who has experience in that. Especially after the other problem you mentioned earlier.

P.S.: If you haven't done any backups of your data stored on the disc, I strongly suggest to do that as soon as possible!

Duplicate and follow on to: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/qanda/questionpage/blog-id/sla_technical/article-id/30561

Sydney

As I indicated in my response to your earlier post,

A corrupt XLM dll file usually means:

1) Your PC Hard Drive may be failing and a critical OS dll file is damaged. [.dll files have the basic code for reading XML data]

Stop now and get your hard drive scanned for damaged data and program files and/or NTFS file management structures and sectors.

Failure to do this now will not only cause you more frustration but us as well as more damaged files on damaged sectors will cause your SL software and operating system  not to work well.

http://www.labnol.org/software/test-hard-drive-for-problems/17430/

Enough Said?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.