TBH about SL?

Mecate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I came here to have fun and play. However, I've had nothing but problems since I've started. 1.  For some reason, my shape will be 'unworn,' causing a white oval, so I have to 'wear' it again. )BTW, I had to figure this out on my own, b/c the help I got from an answer here was of NO help).  2.  Now I get 'updated' and an autopilot shows up....I'm not even licensed to fly. I've followed the directions, but to no avail. 3.  My avatar now has a mind of her own (I presume this is thru the 'autopilot'). I have about had it with this site. 4.  In one group, I was unable to IM a 'hostess' for VIP info. 5.  After 30 minutes, the hostess finally contacted me6.  I can never view anyone's profile. Nothing but trouble, and all I hear is 7.  'DON'T USE WITH WI-FI". Well, SL....WI-FI is here to stay..and if I am using it (because I am the last person to get techie), then the whole civilized world is using it!  TBH SL....y'all need to catch up.

15 answers to this question

Well it souds like Second Life is just not for you.  If you are not willing to do what it takes to make SL work the way you want it to work (whatever that may be.....I don't have the foggiest idea myself) then maybe it's time to just delete your account, uninstall the viewer (if more than one, uninstall those too), and move on.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Mecate,

TBH [ <-- this means To Be Honest ] Are you sure you have covered everything bugging you? With only 2 posts to your name it seems like you may have left out a few hundred other complaints.

BTW [ <-- this means By The Way ]  - The usually interaction here in SL Answers is a 'ask and respond' kind of thing. Amazingly like real life. At the end of this process you are usually a bit wiser and up and running. Well that usually works for those willing to engage.

Clearly you have a lot of issues with your PC, Internet connection and SL installation. Since you refuse to take the diagnostic steps needed to solve your problems I guess you'll have to take the consolation cupcake and head to someplace else. Have you tried facebook?

TTFN [ <--- this means Ta Ta For Now ]

• Like 1

I don't know why someone said don't use with WI-FI. I am using WI-FI with SL right now.

The autopilot thing, was it a message that kept coming up? That happened to me, I uninstalled SL and reinstalled it and that problem went away. I use a Mac and so don't usually have problems.

The rest of your problems, like the white disc might be simple downloading. Do you have the latest SL viewer?

Sorry, the other answers are so sarcastic. I have always been taught that "there are no stupid questions". Peeps, if you don't want to help you don't have to be ugly about it.

Ok - Lets chat about Wi-Fi.

1) When you are having any issues that suggest IP packet loss the very 1st thing you do it get off the Wi-Fi to diagnose the issue.. You remain off of Wi-Fi until the problem is resolved. Then and only then you may use Wi-Fi again if it has previously worked for you.

2) see item 1)

WHY?

Because Wi-Fi adds another layer of communication protocols you cannot troubleshoot easily. RF [Radio Frequency] packet loss is a very different animal from IP packet loss and many Wi-Fi set-ups don't play well with SL when a large number of update communication messages are needed to accurately render your virtual world, you avatar status and scripted status. This includes all those http requests for prims, their textures, their orientation, each script in them, your avatar's status and attached layers & objects and your music and/or media options. All of these which MUST be received in a sequential IP packet sequence.

I use a high-end N-Class Wireless Range Extender paired with a matching wireless transceiver attached to my FIOS Router with wonderful results. I don't use the built in wireless services of my laptop. The difference is like night and day.

So YES, you can use wireless if you know how to make your wireless the best possible and most reliable link in your communications path.

P.S. Yes Lynnaea is right about the sarcasm we sometimes express when a SL resident is frustrated and vents/rants/complains here. My pet peeve is when a resident refuses to engage in the suggestions provided or fails to give us relevant feedback. We are all volunteers here and we try our best. We are not employees nor do we get any compensation or consideration from linden Lab. This is a resident to resident service and all we ask is to please allow us to try to help you.

Please forgive the occasional bit of inappropriate sarcasm we will express when we are vented about.

On the only other thread started by the OP Rolig TRIED helping. You can't help people who refuse to follow directions that are given to them in order to trouble shoot their problem. I use Wi-Fi myself without a problem however if I started having problems and needed to get wired in order to diagnose the problem I would not be so hard headed.

My guess is that the OP didn't really read my reply on his first post. WiFi is problematic for many people, especially if they are (1) in a rural area (2) on a marginally viable machine or (3) near any nasty sources of interference. Those blessed with a strong machine, living in a major city and away from power lines can often do just fine. As a rule, though, that's one of the first things to recommend when people are obviously having connection issues. It gets one simple difficulty out of the way early.

The big problem here and in a mercifully small number of our newbie posts is that people overestimate what their machines can do and underestimate the load that SL will put on them. They figure that a wimpy notebook that can run YouTube videos and play a few on-line games ought to be fine for SL, so they won't believe that they have a hardware or connection problem. As the great Lily Tomlin used to say, "Information cannot argue with a closed mind."

Star, it would be best to create your own thread. That way there won't be distractions and confusion about who anyone might be responding to......the OP or you. And in order to get the most from your quesion and have a much greater chance for a successful resolution, include an accurate discription of the problem plus any error messages (if you get them). Probably the most important thing to include (on any technical question no matter where you ask) are some computer specifications, the operating system you use, the SL viewer you use and how you connect to the Internet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.