A Complete Guide to how LL should have scaled.

Nimh20 Vandeverre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nimh

You are, on the whole, preaching to the converted if you take folk like you and I who have been in SL since the "Great Expansion" , or in the case of LL, the Deaf/Blind.

Back in the day, when SL was still a technical tour de force and a new thing, SL's userbase was mainly geeks who knew how it worked and had suitable computers.

Linden Lab's mindset was enshrined then, the corporate psychology set in stone, and nothing in the past ten years has changed it.  LL are corporately "hard of thinking" outside the limited box that Philip made for them back then.

People who come to SL now (or in the recent past) have expectations that LL will operate as a modern internet operation.  It never will and that is the bottom line!

You can hold up dozens of parallels that show how LL "ought" to work, but the fact remains that despite the efforts (or in some folks' opinion because of them), LL simply does not know how to move its corporate operations into the second decade.

It's not how many of us would want LL to operate, but I simply feel that I cannot be bothered to rail against LL's continued corporate torpor.  Sometimes you just have to stop beating your head against a brick wall, if you wish to stay alive.

For all their flaws, some of the folk at Linden Lab are really clever, dedicated and hard-working.  It just doesn't often seem that way!:smileyfrustrated:

Nimh20 Vandeverre wrote:

LL,

Maybe you could compare notes with how Netflix architecture serves its customers with very little down time.   This blog is amazing and it shows Netflix doesn't hide anything like LL does for substantially less money. Yes I know there 2 different products, but thats not the point.

Nimh

yeah, except that it's totally irrelevant. SL is *nothing* like Netflix, and none of what they do is applicable to Second Life. It's kind of like telling NASA scientists, "Look at how efficient McDonalds is at making burgers, now apply that to making space vehicles". 

And next time you go on a rant in-world, I"ll remember to bring up here where you say you left SL long ago. heh

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Nimh

You are, on the whole, preaching to the converted if you take folk like you and I who have been in SL since the "Great Expansion" , or in the case of LL, the Deaf/Blind.

Back in the day, when SL was still a technical tour de force and a new thing, SL's userbase was mainly geeks who knew how it worked and had suitable computers.

Linden Lab's mindset was enshrined then, the corporate psychology set in stone, and nothing in the past ten years has changed it.  LL are corporately "hard of thinking" outside the limited box that Philip made for them back then.

People who come to SL now (or in the recent past) have expectations that LL will operate as a modern internet operation.  It never will and that is the bottom line!

You can hold up dozens of parallels that show how LL "ought" to work, but the fact remains that despite the efforts (or in some folks' opinion because of them), LL simply does not know how to move its corporate operations into the second decade.

It's not how many of us would want LL to operate, but I simply feel that I cannot be bothered to rail against LL's continued corporate torpor.  Sometimes you just have to stop beating your head against a brick wall, if you wish to stay alive.

For all their flaws, some of the folk at Linden Lab are really clever, dedicated and hard-working.  It just doesn't often seem that way!:smileyfrustrated:

You do realize SL was around for 5 years before you joined, right?

SL has evolved massively since i joined, with my first av back in early 06. flexi prims, sculpted items, mesh, video on a prim, the graphics outshine any other "game" to date.

These are the threads that should be deleted before they turn into dramafests. nothing constructive, just complaints. and usually baseless complaints.

@OP if you have left SL, why are you complaining about it still?

Drake

You ought to know that I am fully aware of my "relative" youth as regards SL's "early adopters".  That does not make me ignorant of it.  I am well aware of the huge strides that technology and Linden Lab have made.  I was aware of SecondLife's existence long before my home was connectable to any form of broadband.

I am also painfully aware of their inability to recognise that which they created.  Note what I say...I am neither a doomsayer, troll or idiot.

Don't tar me with Nimh's brush, I was pointing out that his comments were futile and misplaced.

However my opinion is what it is.

I do not think that censorship is appropriate for this since most readers would see the comments for what they are, given the similar idiocy recently occurring inworld on the Support Group of a well-loved viewer.

To me, the unfortunate thing is that we no longer get any information about the architecture of SL's implementation.

Maybe four years ago or so we'd get all kinds of detail about different approaches they were considering, and then blog posts about what they'd actually implemented. I remember the devs were discussing different NoSQL databases, back before they were in common use by everybody doing web services.

I'm not sure those technical discussions ever helped LL, but I found them interesting.

So anyway, I'm not sure how to take the suggestion that one or another approach was "how LL should have scaled." I mean, how do we know LL is not using an identical approach as NetFlix for some services? (Although I must say that the linked article leaves me with the impression of at best a buzzword-depth appreciation of SOA.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.