How do I download a sound file? I keep getting an error.

Pol McAndrews

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to download a soundfile to make a gesture for this new avatar I did and was told I needed to download the .wav file to my computer which I did and the byte needed to be less than 10 seconds in length which it is. I keep getting an error. Unknown Vorbis encode failure on: Any advice?

5 answers to this question

You can't download a sound file from SL, so I assume that you mean that you want to upload one to SL from your computer.  To do that, your file has to be a *.wav file coded as 16 bit 44.1 kHz, and must be less than 10.0 seconds long.  Take a look at this Torley video for details >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Video_Tutorial/Editing_and_uploading_sounds

• Like 1

By "download" do you mean from Second LIfe to your computer? To bring a sound into Second Life you would upload it.

And what program are you using?

Everything Ive learned about making sounds for SL was from Torley's awesome Video: 

Also double check that your fomating is correct - from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sound_Clips

"As the Knowledge Base says, "Valid sounds are any .WAV file in standard PCM format, 16-bit/44.1kHz/mono or stereo (which will be converted to mono anyway), less than or exactly 10 seconds in length. (10.000 seconds is fine, but 10.001 will fail to upload; to the degree of one sample makes a difference.) Sounds cannot be saved as 8-bit, 22.05 kHz, or any other frequency. Sounds in other formats can be converted in most sound programs. There is currently no support for compression formats such as MP3.""

I'd like to download MY sounds back onto my harddrive, and use them in OSgrid.  I fried my hard drive, all the had work of finding the songs, splicing them, etc, is GONE.  I had dozens of songs for my shop, musical ornaments . grrrr.

There MUST be a way!!

Thank you, Annie

2 hours ago, Anne Zapedzki said:

I'd like to download MY sounds back onto my harddrive, and use them in OSgrid.  I fried my hard drive, all the had work of finding the songs, splicing them, etc, is GONE.  I had dozens of songs for my shop, musical ornaments . grrrr.

There MUST be a way!!

Thank you, Annie

Based upon discussion in this thread, you may have actually already downloaded some or all of your sound files, which may be located in a local cache folder (such as, in Windows, C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache ). Using GnuWin32's file and grep commands (or native equivalents in MacOS or Linux), you can search these files' content to determine which ones are Ogg Vorbis format audio and display a list of all Ogg files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin>file C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache\* | grep Ogg

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache\sl_cache_2c346eda-b60c-ab33-1119-b8941916a499_0.asset; Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~128000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (1.0)
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache\sl_cache_3100ee4e-7a18-965e-e84a-9de60c5b5766_0.asset; Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~128000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (1.0)
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache\sl_cache_3643f41e-fc7b-d44c-120a-35a9aecb4de7_0.asset; Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~128000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (1.0)
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cache\sl_cache_38445784-289a-5457-a80f-bddddd6fc661_0.asset; Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~64000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (1.0)
(... etc)

This is just a heap of sound files, some of which are maybe what you're looking for. From here, you'd still have a jigsaw puzzle of a challenge to put them together in sequence. Also bear in mind that these are lossy-compressed versions of your original audio files.

Edited by Brightstar7777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.