Blender: Texture Baking

Devriv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. I need some help learning to bake a texture in Blender. As a test model, I expand a simple cube into a wall, and want to texture one face with a bricks texture. I assign a base material to the entire wall and a different material to the face I wish to texture. I have a diffuse and a normal, both of which came in one package when purchased. Everything up to (and seemingly) including baking, goes quite smoothly, without any error messages. Yet, every time I bake them, the baked image looks exactly like the original bricks image, without any influence from the Normal! I've checked and re-checked everything but I think I must be neglecting some setting. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you for the suggestion Coby. The tutorial, although instructive, pertains to baking a normal map, whereas I already have the normal map. As each face can only have one texture assigned to it, I need to bake a combination of the normal and the diffuse into a single image which I can then put on the wall face. I think it's just a setting I'm being unmindful of. I'll find it eventually, Haha! I've made a copy of the tutorial nevertheless, as I may need it at some other time :)

Correction here.  Each face can have only one MATERIAL assigned to it.  However that material can have a number of textures linked to it which interact and blend in interesting ways.  So you can absolutely add the normal map to a texture slot and set it to up to effect normals and not diffuse color and at the same time add a texture to the stack which effects diffuse, color or a number of other options.  You should be able to see from that video how to adjust settings for the normal map.  And just google or search Utube for tutorials for setting up a texture  to effect diffuse color.

• Like 1

I would LOVE to know that Full Render works for some folks. For me, the ambient and shadow bakes are fine (haven't used others) but when I try a full render I immediately get an error message -- I think it is "feeback loop". If there  is a way to actually GET a full render to work I would love to know. :D

Well of COURSE I WOULD!!!!! LOL

Drongle, thank you, yes the Full Render works :) Why do you think that the texture bake mode is not working? Was I not supposed to choose that mode over Full Render? Shouldn't I be choosing Texture under the Bake Mode if I want a just the texture, and wish to avoid shadows and the lighting?

I guess setting it to texture means it just bakes the diffuse texture, ignoring all lighting effects. The normal map is just a lighting effect. So that would be ignored too. Baking just the texture can give a different output if different UV maps are used for the input mapping and the bake, but if they are the same, then I imagine it's just going to fill in the mapped parts of the image with unchanged texture. If it's a wall filling the whole UV space, that would just replicate texture, wouldn't it?. I don't do much of this stuff, so a more authoratative explanation from someone else would be useful.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.