Linden Home Communities

Curious Hazelnut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello forum people,

I have once again got myself a Linden Home. Most of the time when I pop over to my cute little house in Aetios, I'm the only avatar on the region. So, I was wondering if there are any attempts to make communities or role play within the Linden Home regions? If you've got a community going, or just thought you wanted to, please let me know how it's going and what your idea/community is about?

Thanks.

Linden homes don't lend themselves to forming communities or roleplay simply because the owners are from all over the world and live in different time zones.  Many people only use their Linden home to rez into, change clothes and open boxes etc.  They don't hang out there much.  And finally Linden homes appeal to premium members that pay annually and have extended absences in SL due to RL.  They can be gone for a long time and their home is still theirs when they come back,  These are some of the reasons that you are alone on the sim a lot of times and I am sure there are others.  I am also pretty sure that all the Linden Home islands are like this too.  When I look at them on the map I rarely see more than a few green dots on them, if there is anyone there at all.

I know, but I keep hoping.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Linden homes don't lend themselves to forming communities or roleplay simply because the owners are from all over the world and live in different time zones.  Many people only use their Linden home to rez into, change clothes and open boxes etc.  They don't hang out there much.  And finally Linden homes appeal to premium members that pay annually and have extended absences in SL due to RL.  They can be gone for a long time and their home is still theirs when they come back,  These are some of the reasons that you are alone on the sim a lot of times and I am sure there are others.  I am also pretty sure that all the Linden Home islands are like this too.  When I look at them on the map I rarely see more than a few green dots on them, if there is anyone there at all.

the secret to community building in any public place is to be consistent i find

consistent meaning that you are always in the same place at the same time. dont have to be every day. or even regular days. just same time same place whenever you can

then be chatty in local, always say hi to everyone who pop in and chat them up about anything and everything. and for linden homes be a bit knowlegeable about how to set them up. is the no. 1 problem that for new home owners

after a time, other people who like you will stop by bc you always there at same time. the know you will be there at that time if you are logged on. after a time (like weeks) some will stop and stay for a chat and even start hang with you

word spreads that is this person(s) at this one place who is nice person and knows some stuff

is how all the infohubs and even public places that arent infohubs also work

all it takes to start is one person who attract other people and then it goes from there

Probably. I'd AR it, as would others - if I didn't know what was going on and it happened in my sim.

That's the problem there - a whole lot of tiny lots all owned by different people. If you rezzed that thing, you'd be griefing all your neighbors.

To pull it off, you'd need to coordinate with -everyone- on the sim, and anyone nearby who might be effected by a wandering zombie - or somebody not knowing / lacking a sense of humor would file a complaint.

There may or may not be rules against using the linden homes for some types of events. I know commercial events are not allowed. That further complicates using them as social hubs... They really are meant for people to hide away in.

That said... if you want to do a zombie theme, step on over to Bay City and folks here would have a blast with it. I think I've seen us pretend to one not long back.

I was joking. I realize it's pretty much impossible. If I could find a plot in Bay City that was within my price range I would jump on it. Lets just say my price range and what land there sells for are off by a couple orders of magnitude.

I remember the (a?) zombie hunt there around halloween. It would have been more fun if the guns had worked.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

To pull it off, you'd need to coordinate with -everyone- on the sim, and anyone nearby who might be effected by a wandering zombie - or somebody not knowing / lacking a sense of humor would file a complaint.

That said... if you want to do a zombie theme, step on over to Bay City and folks here would have a blast with it. I think I've seen us pretend to one not long back.

• 1 month later...

LL homes were my worst experience, in fact I changed homes at least 20 times until I gave up and bought land. I found that in most cases my neighbors were antisocial or perverts even where TOS did not allow it. It was impossible to move around because of all of the ban lines so I just gave up on the LL homes. On the other hand buying land is addictive and I now own 1/2 a region of mainland but no more neighbor trouble or ban lines. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.