Pose balls

nicolette18

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last night I right clicked on a pose ball and I clicked sit. I didn't have any options that said dance. So I just sat in mid air and there were no animations. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. A few people I was with suggested that I download Phoenix viewer.

If you have an AO (Animations Overrider) you would know. It's a device that is worn not on your avatar but on your HUD (your screen), and it's intended to override the default animations, such as walk and run. If the animation in the poseball you sat on has a lower priority than the sit animation in your AO, the AO animation will have control of your avatar, instead the ball's animation. If you have an AO, you should be able to turn it off by clicking it on your screen and selecting to turn it off.

It often happens that, when an avatar sits on a sex bed's poseball, the AO's sit animation has a higher priority than the sex animation, and the avatar sits instead of doing the sex animation. Turning the AO off causes the avatar to do the sex animation.

Thinking about it some more, some AOs are not on the screen but are worn on the avatar. Some women's shoes have a walk AO in them, for instance, and they may have a sit in them too. If you can try the ball again without any clothes or attachements on, or with just the minimum of clothes, you could find out if the problem is an AO in something you wear.

Alternatively, you could simply not use that ball again and the problem won't arise :)

I use Phoenix for certain things when creating stuff. Other than that, I use the 'official' V3 viewer.

You can certainly buy animations seperately but you always need a script to 'play' them. A poseball includes a script to play the animation and the position to place avatar.

AOs also provide what's needed to play animations so, if you have one of those, and if it's set so that you can modify it, you can buy seperate animations and put them in. But you do need to modify things in the AO for it to work. Also, there's at least one freebie poseball around into which you can place your own animation.

I made my own animations for the furniture I make and sell, and I made and sell an AO plus the animations for it, but I'm nowhere near to being an expert, or even experienced, on buying animations and using them. Many people do it so there are many 'experts' around who can help you much better than I can. Hopefully one or more of them will join this thread.

First, in case it's obscure forumspeak, "OP" means "Original Poster" (or, in context, "Original Post"). But evidently you're not as discouraged as all that, and that's great.

Second, sorry about the chicken sacrifice thing. I was just beeing b!tchy about suggestions to use the all-powerful Phoenix viewer as a cure for halitosis and all that ails you. It's just not going to help with a stuck animation, and the suggestion that it might is only adding to your confusion.

In this specific case, the big questions are: Is your avatar successfully animated when you sit on other poseballs? (I'm guessing "yes.") And are other people's avatars successfully animated when they sit on the problematic poseball? (I'm guessing "no.")

If my guesses are correct, then there's just something wrong with that poseball. Script missing or, as already suggested, in need of a reset by its owner.

As you noticed, you can buy raw animations; usually they're sold that way for use as add-ons to AOs or danceballs, but also, you'll eventually learn to make your own poseballs with an animation and any of a number of free poseball scripts.

It's also fairly common to pull the anim out of a poseball and use it for other purposes, perhaps adding it to an AO, even, or more likely, directly to furniture that uses scripts that don't need separate poseballs.

Sometimes when you click on a poseball, the dialogue that asks if it is ok to animate you gets hidden behind any open instant message windows you may have open.

There should be a window that lets you click yes or no. Close any messaging Windows you may have open, stand, and try again.

Wow you just blew me away. I am sorry for being a complete idiot when it comes to this. The pose ball worked for my dance partner and he suggested that I download Phoenix. I don't know anything about TPV's (go me for reading and learning that acronym) but with the pose ball working for him and not me has me confused. I was trying to power on and off the AO HUD and I could never get anything to work. Needless to say I spent 2 hours trying inworld to dance.

Yes. Before you do anything detach it and in your inventory right click and copy the ao. Then paste a copy into your inventory and rename it, adding the word copy to it. Now, wear the copy of your ao, this way, if you mess up beyond repair, you still have your working original.

Ok, wear your ao copy, right click, edit, and press ctrl and shift at the same time and you should see little squares, click and drag these squares to make your ao hud larger.

nicolette18 wrote:

I don't know anything about TPV's (
go me for reading and learning that acronym
)

High five for attitude—that cracked me up :-). And welcome to SL; I get the idea with an outlook like you've showed in this thread you are going to have a lot of enjoyment here.

For the record I've taken a couple of free classes in making, using, and otherwise fooling around with AO's but after more than four years I still couldn't animate my way out of a wet paper pixel—I never seem to have enough time on my all too brief visits inworld to put in the concentrated time it takes to do stuff like that well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.