Does LL care about game rips?

StreamOfPraise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a Silent Hill fan, and while it has nothing to do with me that their models are getting ripped and sold on SL, it still really pisses me off that these bums are trying to make money off of ripped models. If you're gonna rip a model and import it to SL, at least do it discretely and wear it around your little homes?

So does LL even care about these things, if it's so obviously a rip from one of the SH games? I heard from someone that you gotta actually contact Konami then get Konami to contact LL? If that's the case then screw it I'll just pretend I didn't see anything.

Come to think of it it does make sense they couldn't care less about game rips.

If they don't give a damn about it then:

- More $ made from suckers who actually buy these game rips

- Avoid negative publicity

If they actually care about it then:

- Tons of negative publicity with headlines like "SL is a haven for pirated material"

- Spend the human and time resources to hunt down the bums and contact the game companies etc

Guess if I wanted a quick buck I could always go and rip some models of some games I don't give a crap about lol.

Maybe they do and maybe they don't.

Regardless, Linden Lab has got to follow the letter of the law and could put their safe harbor at risk if they started policing and could open themselves up to other liablilties.

You want  to go after Go-Daddy?  How much stolen content do you think is hosted on their servers?

Yes, its wrong that people rip stuff.  But your anger is misdirected.

• Like 1

They probably care, but the rips likely go up quicker than they have the resources to take them down.

Also, where does one draw the line with material like that? I've seen many avatar accessories that borrow heavily from certain video games and anime, yet are not outright rips. Do those get taken down too?

Its probably a complicated issue, and definitely would be lots of bad press. But as a creator that spends a lot of time and effort creating original stuff, it makes me mad to see these people proffiting off other people's hard work. Consumers know they are too, but they don't care about the ethics — they just want a Mass Effect avatar, so they buy it anyway.

Whether they care of not is not the question.  The question is: What are their obligations?

Their obligation is defined under the DMCA which means only the person that owns the rights can have it removed.  While they people that sell this stuff probably don't have a license to o that , it is possible that they do and LL has no way of knowing.  I

If you see 'stolen' content report it to the original creator or owner of the IP rights.  It is up to them to initiate a DMCA  If they don't then either it is licensed or they don't care if people sell it in SL. 

• Like 1

Is it really ripped content or just "fan"-wear. Ripped means using tools to extract data from a game, that doesn´t really work good for SL things because of the differences in Avatar mapping and stuff.

Why do people like to dress up as superman or whatever famous TV Movie character. Because they do.

Wouldn´t you want to dress up like your famous character, maybe just for an event ? We all do!

The only difference to be legal is, you pay the rights holders a share. Now in a world where people make 0-1 US$ from selling a "costume" no one could pay this, so all this things would be removed from SL..... pretty empty world. It isn´t even real you cannot walk around show your mummy and dad it´s SL only.

Still it is illegal and LL will take the items down after the rights-holders ask for.

I´m not for a George Orwell world where everything you do is monitored and checked but if anyone makes good money from others properties they have to pay the legal charge.

Monti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.