Any shoe experts here?

Tegan Thistle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Assuming you're looking for a high-heel shoe, with the way the basic avatar foot is constructed SOMETHING has to make part of the foot invisible because otherwise you'll see an ugly cone at the heel of the foot. The options are invisiprims (which are no longer officially supported with advanced rendering settings and cause a variety of glitches) or alphas. Most shoe makers are trying to phase out invisiprims. Is there a special reason you don't want to use alphas?

you can still go back to the old style shoes with invisible feet prims.

they will hide your feet when you will wear your shoes w/o feet included.

btw, you have to know also, that Firestorm viewer can support till 5 alpha layers worn at the same time. So if you need to wear other alpha layers on your body , you still can wear the one for your shoes. For this you have to right clik on the item in your invent and select "add" instiead of "wear".

if you need any help for this or for invisible prims, contact me inworld, i can make the invisible feet prims for you.

i don't know what kind of shoe you want but the only styles that don't require alpha layers or invisi prims are flat shoes and trainers if you want heeled shoes you'd have to look for a style called a flatform 

if you are using a viewer that allows you to wear multiple layers you can wear more than one alpha by clicking add not wear 

Most flat non-heel shoes work well without alpha. Like sneakers or hi-tops. Wedges work great too. I've modified a few to work without apha. I did make a heeled sandal too. It really doesn't look good because the heel post has took like an inverted pyramid.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

if you need any help for this or for invisible prims, contact me inworld, i can make the invisible feet prims for you.

Invisiprims work only if shadows are not on in the viewer preferences.  If shadows are on, then invisiprims loose their magic of hiding things and they hide absolutely nothing.  So anybody wearing shoes with invisiprims will look very strange to a person who has turned shadows on.  The feet are poking through the shoes.  Invisiprims have also one disadvantage; when viewed against water, or against some semi transparent texture, we can see the inviprim's "shape halo". Not a nice sight.  That does not happen with alpha mask.

Thus, it's better to forget invisprims and go for alpha mask instead.

Coby Foden wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Invisiprims work only if shadows are not on in the viewer preferences.  If shadows are on, then invisiprims loose their magic of hiding things and they hide absolutely nothing.  So anybody wearing shoes with invisiprims will look very strange to a person who has turned shadows on.  The feet are poking through the shoes.  Invisiprims have also one disadvantage; when viewed against water, or against some semi transparent texture, we can see the inviprim's "shape halo". Not a nice sight.  That does not happen with alpha mask.

Thus, it's better to forget invisprims and go for alpha mask instead.

hahahhaha.. i never said invis prim are better neither they are good ! but the op said : 

"Im looking for a shoe that doesnt require a Alpha to fit! Base etc is all fine, just hoping I can find some nice ones that will leave me alpha free!! "

(bold is mine) so i just proposed to her an alternative for alpha. this doesnt mean i said invisble prims are perfect because i know they are far from being perfect.

if you answer sm1 that asked how she can wear shoes without alpha saying "go for alpha mask instead." this wont help lol...

btw, to the OP (Tegan), if your issue with alpha comes from the fact you cant wear more than one alpha layer at once, and you are already wearing one for another part of your outfit, know that in Firestorm viewer you can wear 5 alphalayer (or any other kind of layers) at the same time. So here is maybe your better fix.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

if you answer sm1 that asked how she can wear shoes without alpha saying "
go for alpha mask instead
." this wont help lol...

Well, I was just explaining why there is a very good reason not to wear invisiprims anymore, even though the OP stated that she wants them.

It could be that the OP didn't know that invisiprims do not work always.  She might want that the shoes she's wearing look good for everybody. Perhaps.  :smileywink:

Thank you everyone for the offer of help :)

The main reason behind this question was my limit to only wearing one alpha at a time and im getting into mesh!

I have tried downloading firestorm before and it wont allow me to log in, it hate me :( lol

So it looks like im stuck with good ole' Phoenix veiwer and one alpha lol.

Hi Tegan,  I would recommend Cool VL viewer.  It allows up to 5 alphas, and 5 tattoos at a time, and 5 different texture items can be worn on each clothing layer also.  It has a Viewer 1 look, and I find it very easy to use and it runs smoothly even at ultra graphics with shadows and deferred rendering.  Hope that helps.  (Also, yes, I am a shoe expert )

I have the same issue, as I'm using mainly Phoenix which doesn't allow texture/alpha layer overlaps. So it's one at a time when it comes to layers. It's not much of an issue until you wish to wear shoes and mesh clothing which both require alphas.

I tend to hop between viewers, using the official one when I wish to swan about with many alphas.

Must try the Cool VL Viewer one day. Thanks :)

A thought- Wouldn't it be good if clothing/shoe designers included the alpha texture for their items along with the alpha system layer. This way, we could make our own combinations on a single layer.

I had to do this last night, as I needed alpha masking on the top of my body (which I'd already made myself), and wanted heeled shoes as well. In Phoenix, this can't be done, as one layer must be sacrificed. The solution was to make my own foot alpha, so that I could combine alphas from upper and lower body in appearance mode.

Granted, this only works if you are combining textures from seperate body areas, like a 'head' with 'lower body' or 'upper body'. So combining eyelash and teeth alphas which are both on the head layer couldn't be done inworld; you'd have to combine the layers in Photoshop and re-upload.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

A thought- Wouldn't it be good if clothing/shoe designers included the alpha texture for their items along with the alpha system layer. This way, we could make our own combinations on a single layer.

I had to do this last night, as I needed alpha masking on the top of my body (which I'd already made myself), and wanted heeled shoes as well. In Phoenix, this can't be done, as one layer must be sacrificed. The solution was to make my own foot alpha, so that I could combine alphas from upper and lower body in appearance mode.

Granted, this only works if you are combining textures from seperate body areas, like a 'head' with 'lower body' or 'upper body'. So combining eyelash and teeth alphas which are both on the head layer couldn't be done inworld; you'd have to combine the layers in Photoshop and re-upload.

Some (nice) creators do this. It is one of the factors that determines whether or not I come back to a store, the others being proper perms (copy/mod being best perms, no copy/no mod being worst obviously), whether or not it has demos, and quality and quickness of customer service.

Some creators, on the other hand, apparently think that alpha textures are highly valuable and classified content. I've seen paranoid creators make no mod no trans alpha layers, let alone hand out the "valuable" texture used to make it, lol what a joke.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.